Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2019 Bolt for about 3 weeks now. For the majority of that time, I have been driving in L to take advantage of the increased regenerative braking and the convenience of "one pedal driving". I don't see anything in the manual that indicates that driving in L has any long term negative effects, but I am curious how you drive your Bolt. Do you mostly use D or L?

Looking forward to your responses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife drives in D because she wants it to behave like a regular car. I drive in L because I want to maximize my Regen and I prefer the way it drives with one pedal.

·
Registered
254 Posts
D for me. As as I can tell, there's no difference in regen between one pedaling in L and "normal" use of the accelerator and brake pedal in D. I use the paddle on the steering wheel for those occasions when I want max regen (mostly on freeway offramps).
Another factor, when I touch the brake pedal I know the brake lights go on. One rear ender cancels a lifetime of saved pennies from eeking out the last bit of regen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
L exclusively...but I come from electric motorcycle driving and have been using regen braking for the last 5 years.

The brake lights do come on when in L and “braking” without actually using the brake (which is nice...it doesn’t work that way with my motorcycle so I, if a car is behind me, put a light touch of regular brake with the regen braking to let the car know)...

G

·
Registered
431 Posts
My wife drives in D because she wants it to behave like a regular car. I drive in L because I want to maximize my Regen and I prefer the way it drives with one pedal.
My wife drove in D for months when we first got the car and wouldn't use L. My daughter finally convinced her to try L and now she uses it all the time. I think she just needed time to get comfortable with a new car in order to try something new and different.

·
Registered
134 Posts
L always.

An additional advantage of L, I believe, is that it requires you to pay more attention to traffic around you, to be able to anticipate better, and that can only be a good thing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've had my 2019 Bolt for about 3 weeks now. For the majority of that time, I have been driving in L to take advantage of the increased regenerative braking and the convenience of "one pedal driving". I don't see anything in the manual that indicates that driving in L has any long term negative effects, but I am curious how you drive your Bolt. Do you mostly use D or L?

Initially I drove in D because it was more like driving my previous car, a stick shift Jetta. After a while I switched to exclusively driving in L. It works much better than D going down a steep grade and using the paddle intermittently. With some practice i can stop at the right place at a stop sign and rarely use the brakes. Depending on skill level, L may not be quite as efficient, since small changes in peddle position cause the car to slow, when coasting would be better, but the difference is too small to matter.
Overall, it is a smoother ride in L and irritates my wife less, which then irritates me less.

·
Registered
89 Posts

When I first started driving our Volt (which we later traded in for the Bolt), I stuck with the familiar D mode. But after getting familiar and comfortable with L, I used that exclusively. Knowing that the L implementation on the Bolt was stronger, automatically turned on the brake light and brought the vehicle to a complete stop, only made me want the Bolt that much more. So, needless to say, I’ve been driving the Bolt in L since day 1! ;)

FWIW, I never did get used to the paddles for slowing the car. It never felt intuitive or “right”, just something I had to remind myself how to do correctly every time, making me nervous I would accidentally rear end someone! :eek: L is just a more “natural” method for me.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The only time I'm not in "L" is when I'm in "R" (or "P").

One pedal driving feels so liberating to me. You have to be willing to give it a day for your foot to get used to it, but once you do it's like the car reads your mind and does exactly what you want. No awkward moving your foot back and forth, once you become used to it the car responds instantly to small changes in pedal pressure with just the right amount of acceleration or deceleration. I totally agree that this is one of the best things about the Bolt.

And no, you don't have to worry about any negative effects on the car while doing this. Driving in "D" and using the brake pedal applies very similar amounts of regenerative braking anyway, "L" just eliminates the need for you to keep shifting your foot back and forth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my 2019 Bolt for a few weeks now. At first I used "L" on surface streets and "D" on the interstate. Now I do all my driving in "L" except parking (I then use "D" and "R"). My wife, who doesn't drive it much, uses "D" exclusively.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I always drive in L. Knowing that the brake lights go off after you come to a complete stop, I move my foot to the brake after coming to a complete stop so the brake lights stay on while stopped.

Mike
Ditto. I really like one-pedal driving. See it as a significant advantage of EVs. With the motor smoothly transitioning from acceleration to regeneration it holds the speed almost perfectly constant under cruise control, cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Today, I just went over 4000 miles in my new Bolt. For the first 1500 miles or so, I was testing different strategies of using D and L to make sure I understood how to drive the car most efficiently, and I found it made very little difference. I got further proof of this recently when my girlfriend drove my car for a couple of days while I was out of town. I've gotten an average of 5.0mi/kWh so far, and she got about 4.8mi/kWh without any practice. As long as your decelerations are gradual, it will all come from regen anyway, so it really just comes down to what's more comfortable. For me, if I'm on roads where I expect to repeatedly have to come to a complete stop, I drive in L to take advantage of the convenience of one-pedal driving. On the freeway, I drive in D to give myself finer control over thrust, but even on the freeway, the only situation in which I really prefer D is when traffic slows things down to 20-40mph. In that medium level of traffic, I find that the finer control of D makes it easier to maintain a healthy following distance while minimizing unnecessary braking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My wife and I always use L since day one, so intuitive and easy to drive. Cruise control in L going down a hill is great, maintains perfect speed and regen for the battery. As has been said many times, lightly touching the go pedal and tapping the regen paddle to exit cruise is smooth as silk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife and I always use L since day one, so intuitive and easy to drive. Cruise control in L going down a hill is great, maintains perfect speed and regen for the battery. As has been said many times, lightly touching the go pedal and tapping the regen paddle to exit cruise is smooth as silk.
The "L" letter is a hold over from the automatic transmissions of ICE cars. I can only guess that the "L" serves to make people at home when looking at the shift leaver of the Bolt. There isn't a transmission with variable gears in the Bolt, just an electric motor that drives the front wheels. For a detailed look at the motor look at the "Chevrolet Bolt EV Traction Motor - Deep Dive" YouTube presentation.
The "L" settings is more of a software thing than anything else, that changes the dynamic braking system to give you one pedal driving. And it is WONDERFUL. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
L exclusively...but I come from electric motorcycle driving and have been using regen braking for the last 5 years.
Same here, for a couple reasons:
  • Regen-braking, as well as finessing a hypersensitive go-pedal, is already programmed into my muscle memory from having owned a first-gen Honda Insight. (Paddle-braking is too, thanks to the 2013 Honda Fit Sport that replaced it.)
  • I **** near drove that stupid car straight back to the dealership after less than 4 driving-hours when I hadn't discovered "L" yet and tried to use my brake pedal going 3mph in a parking lot and the car didn't stop.
I wish I were joking about the last one. Is it just me, or has anyone else sworn off D due to lack of low-speed brake pedal responsiveness?

One-pedal driving is amazing, though, and I find myself wondering how I put up with two (or three!) of them for so long. I have this feeling the only reason the car creeps in reverse is so the concept of "brake pedal" doesn't un-map itself from my nervous system entirely. LOL.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts