Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I've only got official information from the buyback email. It is more "firm" than what I've seen elsewhere. It reads more like a script for them to read, as follows:

Special Instructions:
1) Return the vehicle to the 90% state of charge limitation. ***
  • For MY 2017-2018 VINs: Use Hilltop Reserve Mode
  • Tell Customers to goto chevy.com/boltevrecall for an instructional video with how-to steps.
  • Instructions: Push the green Energy button > select Energy Settings > select Hill Top Reserve > set that to ON.
  • Percent state of charge will be limited to 90%, reducing risk of fire.
  • After this change is made, the next time they plug vehicle in to charge, they'll see a message in vehicle's Driver Info Center that reads 'Hill Top Reserve Active' .

• For MY 19 VINs: Set Target Charge Level to 90%
  • Tell Customers to goto chevy.com/boltevrecall for an instructional video with how-to steps.
  • Instructions: Push the green Energy button > select Charging > press Target Charge Level > tap the minus button twice to move the pointer down 2 bars from the top.
  • If you use Location Based Charging, follow these steps for both HOME & AWAY.
  • Percent state of charge will be limited to 90%, reducing risk of fire.
  • After this change is made, the next time they plug vehicle in to charge, they'll see a message in vehicle's Driver Info Center that reads 'Target Charge Level Active' .

• The Customer can adjust this setting themselves -or- take the vehicle to a Chevrolet EV Dealer to have them do it, for free.
  • If Cust wants Dlr to revise, connect them with a Chevrolet EV Dealer to schedule service appt.
2) Charge the vehicle more frequently, and avoid depleting the battery below approximately 70 miles (113 KM) of remaining range, where possible.
3) Park the vehicle outside immediately after charging, and do not leave the vehicle charging indoors overnight.

#1 is pretty firm about setting to 90%, although it technically doesn't apply to my 2020. I think they just didn't update the script properly.
#2 says "avoid" and "where possible", so I don't think they could legally argue that you violated that one.
#3 is firm, and not a problem for me. Wife gets the single-car garage. Could be a serious legal issue for GM if you did that and it started a forest fire.

In summary, it sounds like GM could be legally responsible for damages except:
If you charged over 90%.
For collateral home damage if the car was not charging at the time.

However, car insurance should cover car and homeowners insurance the home. I suppose you could go after GM for deductibles.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Has anyone that had a Bolt fire gotten any financial help from GM after the owner's auto and home owner's insurance paid their parts?
I doubt that GM would take responsibility for collateral damage, but even if they did they wouldn't be dealing with the owner of the Bolt, they'd be dealing with whatever household insurance company paid the claim.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just check your OnStar monthly report and look for charging and driving history link. All of your charging and driving history are recorded. When charging, the car is considered ON and connected to OnStar. The recall just adds extra ON time to the charging session.
Is that the case even if the little OnStar light in the vehicle is never on? Back when I got the Bolt back in 2019, I went to OnStar and disabled everything. When I go to the dealer, their report sheet shows everything OnStar related as "Requires Immediate Attention". Here's a pic...
Font Material property Screenshot Number

·
Registered
229 Posts
From the "fire voids the warranty" thread, it's obvious that GM intends to take no action to help you. GM assumes that you will file an insurance claim with your home/auto insurers. Your insurers will pay-out, even if you were incompetent (I've heard that you need to rise to "fraud" for them to be able to deny a claim). Your insurers will probably sue GM. Whether or not that subrogation is successful will probably not matter to you.

One takeaway is that you should check your insurance exposure (gap, deductible, liability if you burn-down the neighbors, etc.)

Regarding the comments about "don't post on the Internet that you ignore recommendations," are you expecting GM to subpoena the mods of ChevyBolt.org to find out whose IP address was used to post that somebody, somewhere was ignoring their advice? I think you're safe unless you post under your actual name, or you post details of your own Bolt fire.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Regarding the comments about "don't post on the Internet that you ignore recommendations," are you expecting GM to subpoena the mods of ChevyBolt.org to find out whose IP address was used to post that somebody, somewhere was ignoring their advice? I think you're safe unless you post under your actual name, or you post details of your own Bolt fire.
I've mentioned previously, GM has too much to lose in a courtroom where they would be forced to answer who knew what when and how the risk assessment equation was derived.

It wasn't a good day for Ford when they had to admit they chose to accept a few barbecued Pinto drivers versus a recall. GM/Mary Barra/et al, would prefer not to have to answer under oath those questions about how many fire deaths they were prepared to accept. .

jack vines

·
Registered
13 Posts
I doubt that GM would take responsibility for collateral damage, but even if they did they wouldn't be dealing with the owner of the Bolt, they'd be dealing with whatever household insurance company paid the claim.
Just like automobile accidents, the insurance company will sue or settle with GM for possible cost sharing. Whether the car owner was following the GM recall recommendation will be figured into the final distribution in terms of cost-sharing percentage determined by assigning an at-fault percentage. If the car owner was not observing the recommendation, the insurance company may receive less than 100% of the claimed amount.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,314 Posts
... If the car owner was not observing the recommendation, the insurance company may receive less than 100% of the claimed amount.
You mean the recommendations with the words "Where Possible"?

What about when the dead of winter is here and the Owner's Manual tells you to have it plugged for TMS reasons?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You mean the recommendations with the words "Where Possible"?

What about when the dead of winter is here and the Owner's Manual tells you to have it plugged for TMS reasons?
Simple, just set hilltop reserve, plug in the charger continuously while parking the car outside. All GM recommendations are met. Clearing off the snow is a whole another matter.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Simple, just set hilltop reserve, plug in the charger continuously while parking the car outside. All GM recommendations are met.
Clearing off the snow is a whole another matter.
Yep, that's the plan.

Clearing off snow is not that bad after a 'Precondition'.
Steelies with winter tires are waiting for the first forecast. This will be the 2nd season with them. Amazing!
Let's stop talking about winter, Mkay? 😕

Now, if I want to charge to 100% before a road trip,,, is that ok? Or will Onstar get me in trouble?
I mean, after all, this car has been doing it that way for only 5 years so far....
Will this get me on gm's S-list? And then be denied additional help if I am one of the unlucky ones?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The way the GM recall recommendation is written, the maximum 90% charge level is not negotiable. Chevrolet EV Concierge is offering to reimburse for rental cars. Rumor has it GM is working out deal with Hertz. This may be your best option for those road trip needing >90%.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just like automobile accidents, the insurance company will sue or settle with GM for possible cost sharing. Whether the car owner was following the GM recall recommendation will be figured into the final distribution in terms of cost-sharing percentage determined by assigning an at-fault percentage. If the car owner was not observing the recommendation, the insurance company may receive less than 100% of the claimed amount.
I think the typical "assigned at-fault percentage" is in a collision, and based off the police report (or arbitration between insurance companies).

If I collect from Progressive under my Comprehensive policy, and they sue GM, that lawsuit is a separate legal process from my claim (which is a business transaction).
The jury may find that GM did notify drivers not to park indoors, and award $0 to Progressive. But finding GM not at fault is not the same (legally) as assigning fault to me.

Progressive could then try to sue me to recover the losses of my claim, and a jury could make an award. That would be where my liability would be determined.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Simple, just set hilltop reserve, plug in the charger continuously while parking the car outside. All GM recommendations are met. Clearing off the snow is a whole another matter.
That's what we're doing. But now our Bolt pretty-much lives at 90%. Before, it spent much of its time closer to 50%. Doesn't seem like an improvement.

It seems weird that GM wants us to avoid being within 10% of full, but avoid being within 35% of empty. This smells to me like they picked the "90%" based on operational feasibility (older Bolts only have HTR). Maybe keeping the car between 30% and 75% would have been better, but they decided to ask for something all Bolt owners could do.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
.... Chevrolet EV Concierge is offering to reimburse for rental cars. Rumor has it GM is working out deal with Hertz. This may be your best option for those road trip needing >90%.
Please post a link if this turns out to be true!
I can't imagine getting through on the phone to these over worked reps.
"Hello, I would like to be given a free rental car for a week coming up." Right. Sounds easy.

..The jury may find that GM did notify drivers not to park indoors, and award $0 to Progressive. But finding GM not at fault is not the same (legally) as assigning fault to me.

Progressive could then try to sue me to recover the losses of my claim, and a jury could make an award. ...
Good Lorde, really?
How exactly did GM notify owners "not to do this, that, and the other thing"? In a legally binding way?
That one letter with the red print on the outside? That's not much....

If it was serious, make it yet another Safety Recall. Make phone calls, have the app say something, have Onstar say something.
Contact each and every owner directly!

Then make the Recall to the 90% - 30% limits.
Don't depend on people opening their mail and pressing settings in the car and not driving less than "70 mi on the GOM", (Not a technical measurement). And don't use the words "Where possible".

Reactions: Rthardison

·
Registered
13 Posts
Please post a link if this turns out to be true!
I can't imagine getting through on the phone to these over worked reps.
"Hello, I would like to be given a free rental car for a week coming up." Right. Sounds easy.

Good Lorde, really?
How exactly did GM notify owners "not to do this, that, and the other thing"? In a legally binding way?
That one letter with the red print on the outside? That's not much....

If it was serious, make it yet another Safety Recall. Make phone calls, have the app say something, have Onstar say something.
Contact each and every owner directly!

Then make the Recall to the 90% - 30% limits.
Don't depend on people opening their mail and pressing setting on the car and not driving less than "70 mi on the GOM", (Not a technical measurement). And don't use the words "Where possible".
[CA] Rental car reimbursement while waiting for buyback...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts