Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Lexus had HID beams, and I would occasionally get flashed by oncoming drivers who felt my low beams were actually high beams. Wth the Bolt, I get that much more often. I do have the auto high beams turned on, but it's pretty good about dimming before oncoming traffic gets close. Both lights illuminate at the same level, so if they are too high, they are both too high. It might just be the color temperature.

Do others have this same experience?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No flashes from oncoming drivers, but the Bolt headlamps ARE seemingly a little brighter. Is this because of the nature of the lamp, smart peeps out there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Compared to my eGolf LEDs, they were about the same in brightness and not as bright as some Mazda and BMW HID projector lamps. The Bolt's color temperature is a little warmer than the Mazda and European cars.

Anyone know if you can do vertical adjustments on them?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
My Lexus had HID beams, and I would occasionally get flashed by oncoming drivers who felt my low beams were actually high beams. Wth the Bolt, I get that much more often. I do have the auto high beams turned on, but it's pretty good about dimming before oncoming traffic gets close. Both lights illuminate at the same level, so if they are too high, they are both too high. It might just be the color temperature.

My Bolt hasn't arrived yet, so I don't have any experience to offer. However I will note that the IIHS crash test report criticizes the Bolt's headlights for their excessive glare on low beams. So this problem isn't unique to you.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The best place to start with this is by checking how your lights are angled, if its how it should be (which for a new car I don't see why not) then you're in the clear. These days headlight systems are getting very bright so it might just be people not used to it that are reacting in that way.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Get flashed once every 3-4 weeks, which makes me think (given people's reluctance to signal annoyance in this era of weirdos with road rage) that it is a problem for some significant number of people. My last car, Saab 9-5 with halogens, never got flashed. I too noted this in the crash testing report cited after this thread started.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've never been flashed in my Bolt, even though the headlights are very good compared to some cars. My Spark EV by contrast, had the worst headlights I've ever seen.

You can adjust the Bolt headlights vertically - the adjuster is pretty obvious when you look closely. I raised mine less than 1/4 turn (because I drive in deer country) and still get no flashes from others.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) dinged the bolt in one area: Headlights

From the report: "On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was good on both right curves and fair on both left curves. The low beams created excessive glare."

It looks like it exceeds their glare rating by 98.4%, so this isn't too surprising.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)Never had a issue so far, but with winter weather and end to DST soon, we'll see. The LED lights on my former BMW i3 were brighter and a better color than what's on the Bolt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never been flashed in my Bolt, even though the headlights are very good compared to some cars. My Spark EV by contrast, had the worst headlights I've ever seen.

You can adjust the Bolt headlights vertically - the adjuster is pretty obvious when you look closely. I raised mine less than 1/4 turn (because I drive in deer country) and still get no flashes from others.
I too live in deer country, so I am reluctant to lower my lights. However, I have been "flashed" several times while using low beams. I looked in the owners manual and found nothing about adjusting the headlights. Is this something that can be done "old school" or does it require a computer interface with a phone app connected with a main frame supercomputer at the Argon National Laboratories? Then again, there may not be anything wrong with the lights. It may just take some getting used to is all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Feels like "all the time." But I guess once a night when driving. I've seen some pretty bright oncoming lights too but have assumed it is the new thing.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
We don't get flashed since lowering the beams a smidge. Took a few minutes. Shine them on the garage door from 25 feet away. Do them one at a time. I put a blanket over the lights on one side, then the other. Since the beams from right and left hit the same spot on the door, you can't really tell what you are doing, unless you cover the one you are not adjusting.

The low beam pattern is flat across, and angled lower on the oncoming traffic side. The high beam pattern looks like a bell curve.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We don't get flashed since lowering the beams a smidge. Took a few minutes. Shine them on the garage door from 25 feet away. Do them one at a time. I put a blanket over the lights on one side, then the other. Since the beams from right and left hit the same spot on the door, you can't really tell what you are doing, unless you cover the one you are not adjusting.

The low beam pattern is flat across, and angled lower on the oncoming traffic side. The high beam pattern looks like a bell curve.
Did the same thing. Put a piece of tape on the hangar door with the bottom of the tape at the top of the beam.
Lowered mine exactly one inch. No more flashing, and I can actually see better a night.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Reading all this makes me wonder: don't you guys have a little knob on the dashboard that allows you to adjust the beam hight from within the cabin?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Reading all this makes me wonder: don't you guys have a little knob on the dashboard that allows you to adjust the beam height from within the cabin?
No. My understanding has always been that there is a government mandated standard, which is factory set, and is supposed to be checked at annual inspection time. I don't think shops actually check anymore. We don't have the right to arbitrarily adjust headlights. But if your headlights are too annoying, we do have the right to "correct" them with assault rifles. :-(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts