Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I go almost every day. My local gas station has a deli with good hamburgers and other food. My car is powered by the sun, but I am powered with food.....
****, I forgot about that! I stop in about once a week. The closest gas station to me has a great deli. Sandwiches made to order and killer fried chicken.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I go almost every day. My local gas station has a deli with good hamburgers and other food. My car is powered by the sun, but I am powered with food.....
You are powered by the sun. Every car, except those running on nuclear electricity, are powered by the sun. Most ICE powered cars had to wait millions of years for the conversion process to complete.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Trick question...Do we live in the era of wood, coal, oil, gas, or solar energy?

Which year saw the most kWh equivalent of energy consumed from wood/biomass...1718, 1818, 1918, or 2018?

Which year saw the most kWh equivalent of energy consumed from coal...1718, 1818, 1918, or 2018?

Which year saw the most kWh equivalent of energy consumed from petroleum liquids...1718, 1818, 1918, or 2018?

Which year saw the most kWh equivalent of energy consumed from petroleum gases...1718, 1818, 1918, or 2018?

Which year saw the most kWh equivalent of energy consumed from solar energy...1718, 1818, 1918, or 2018?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have not mentioned hydro power stations. Electricity in my area is generously donated by Niagara Falls, so things are pretty much clean and pure around here, hardly any burning to produce energy.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
You have not mentioned hydro power stations. Electricity in my area is generously donated by Niagara Falls, so things are pretty much clean and pure around here, hardly any burning to produce energy.
Hydro is ultimately solar too. The rain/snow cycle is driven by the sun. Unfortunately, most of the suitable rivers already have dams, and the melting of mountain snow/ice is now threatening the rivers most important to hundreds of millions of people. And, of course the amount of concrete it takes to build a dam is problematic, drives people off their land, and then they silt up, etc. None of our "solutions" is perfect.

My point was that we are now in the era of most use of all available energy sources.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Now that Petro-Canada is installing 200kW chargers at their gas stations all across Canada, I go more often.

·
Registered
118 Posts
melting of mountain snow/ice is now threatening the rivers most important to hundreds of millions of people.
Nobody believes that. Accumulation and melt and runoff are the same as ever. The thing actually threatening rivers is the increasing diversion of water. That is why the Colorado no longer reaches the ocean, Lake Mead is drying up and Hoover Dam output is waning.

My point was that we are now in the era of most use of all available energy sources.
https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S0921800919310067-gr3.jpg
The idea that the world is using more energy than ever is obvious and is the least interesting thing about that graph. Soon it's going to be a lot more. The real message to take home is how negligible renewables are, and the incredible potential for nuclear taking the place of most coal, oil, natural gas and biomass. That's how we'll protect the environment without damming rivers and blighting the landscape.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Well, if you look at it that way.. EVERYTHING is sun powered ultimately.

No suns = no planets, etc...
And? Curt says even more cheap energy is a solution. I suppose with enough energy we could move all the people to Mars, and turn the earth into a petting zoo. :)

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I don't know if fewer people will be going to gas stations, but fewer will be going in new cars.

"The world car market is about to take its biggest hit since the financial crisis of 2008, according to a report from Germany’s Center for Automotive Research (CAR), with sales diving more than 4 million in 2019."

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm at one every day ... to catch the bus at the park and ride ... it's pretty comical ... watching from the outside in now. It's a circus.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
My gas station always has ugly attendants when I visit.
I always went there for the gas. Maybe the attractive ones hide when they see you coming? :unsure:
It wouldn't surprise me. Since I eat a lot of burritos, I bring my own gas to the station ...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts