Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first car with HID headlights so I'm not familiar with how they normally operate. But I notice that when my lights first come on they "flash" extra bright for a brief moment before assuming their normal brightness. Is that a normal thing?

I was driving through some weather the other day and the automatic lighting system alternated between "night" and "day" modes a couple of times, and it kind of bothered me that oncoming drivers might think I was flashing my lights at them for some reason.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Mine flashes all sorts of lights under lots of circumstances. Most of the time, its like a friendly little cat welcoming me home. I hope there are not circumstances that it graduates to bothering other drivers.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This is my first car with HID lights as well. Google research indicates that these rely on a buildup of potential to create a sustainable arc. This buildup period is the initial flash of brightness you see.

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK then, obviously nothing to worry about. And I think I might have seen a similar kind of flash on occasion from the lights of oncoming drivers - that would explain it.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I've been having lots of people flash their brights at me since I've been driving the Bolt. Low headlight rating from consumers reports on headlights appears to be spot on. So now I stay ready to flash them back to their surprise. Started using the auto high beam setting so maybe a driver will see them change upon their approach.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been having lots of people flash their brights at me since I've been driving the Bolt. Low headlight rating from consumers reports on headlights appears to be spot on. So now I stay ready to flash them back to their surprise. Started using the auto high beam setting so maybe a driver will see them change upon their approach.
This is exactly my experience so far also.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This is exactly my experience so far also.
Me too, though I noticed it's all from lower, sporty vehicles. A few times I mistook bumpy holes for flashing brights. When I flashed my brights at them they flashed again at me and it looked different. When I hit that same patch of road in opposite direction, I noticed the rough road and it clicked that perhaps the flashing from before was just the rough road.

You get the similar effect when approaching traffic is cresting over a hill.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I too have noticed this. Kind of irritating as I feel the oncoming traffic think I am being a jerk :(

Happens all the time in the parking garages so yesterday I turned them off till I got out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts