Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched and following threads provided me with good comments:

but I'm still on the wall after talking to colleagues who have owned more cars than myself and perform actual car mods themselves.

I'm looking to buy new Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus for my Bolt primarily for less road noise. If I'm interpreting right, it primarily will change the frequency response of road noise entering the cabin so I won't notice it as much. It will provide some absorbtion to reduce levels, but mainly it's the frequency response. My colleagues have mentioned for bumpy rides at low speed, only suspension changes can significantly dampen the shock. Tire sidewall wouldn't do much.

What I'm not sure about is if downsizing to 16" wheels will justify the $300 wheel cost. I can't go down to 15" because the P7 doesn't come in that size. Anyone who went down to 16" find it helped (or didn't)? I'd hate to spend another $300 on wheels. I can somewhat justify it by using my OEM 17" wheels with winter tires but that's another $400 dollars later and I'm not sure I need winter tires for Seattle winters (just stayin' home, have you met Seattle drivers!?).

UPDATE: Forgot, I'm running the OEM Energy Savers and LT wheels. Ambients I have right now are 65F to 90F and the tires are running 35 PSI cold. I had previously ran them at 38 PSI cold and can't really sense the difference at 35 PSI. So I'm betting the 16" wheels won't be noticeable by me. I'm still curious about others' experiences, though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have considered all suggested maybe more.
Abandoned different wheels, tyres etc because of little payback and consideration that I can't outsmart the GM engineers

·
Registered
918 Posts
For Spokane winters, we use 16" Cruze steel wheels with Nokian Hakkapilitta tires. They're great in the snow and somewhat quieter and the taller sidewalls lessen felt impact. They're about the same weight as the ton-heavy Bolt/Michelins.

Watch craigslist. We got these wheels for $100, still like new.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sparks. I was worried the difference would be lost on me after spending so much cash.

Packard V8, are you able to detect 3-5 PSI differences in ride quality? I have been going down and up between 35 and 38 PSI repeatedly over the same streets and I can't tell the difference. I even had family deflate or not deflate my tires from 38 to 35 PSI and "hide" the TPMS readout on my Bolt. 2 out of 6 times I guessed the tire PSI based on ride.

I think I'm just not sensitive enough to detect suspension difference. I think the 16" wheels benefits suspension-wise would be lost on me. The noise difference from the P7, however, I think I will more likely notice and benefit from.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The noise difference from the P7, however, I think I will more likely notice and benefit from.
As far as road noise from the Michelins, it's just not there for me. I don't find them objectionable at all. What evidence do we have suggesting Pirelli P7s will be noticeably quieter? We can be certain, however, they will result in reduced range.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any evidence the P7s will be significantly quieter, I'm just basing off anecdotes from owners in the gm-volt forums who went from similar Michelin Energy Savers (non-puncture resistant) to P7s. Looking at the tirerack reviews, the P7s had 15m miles and comfort rating of 8.9/10 while the Energy Savers had 7m miles and comfort of 8.1/10. I'm thinking at the minimum, I'll notice less road noise with the P7s. I don't think I can do anything regarding ride comfort w/r bumps in the road without actual suspension changes versus increase tire sidewall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
quirkySquirt
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing