Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given GM's current charging recommendations due to the recall(s), I'm wondering whether exclusively charging my 2018 Bolt battery to HTR will initiate cell balancing at the end of the charge cycle? I've seen mixed responses on this, in looking at previous threads, with some saying YES, others saying, "charge to 100%," and still others saying, "don't ever worry about this."

What's the latest thinking? Thank you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Given GM's current charging recommendations due to the recall(s), I'm wondering whether exclusively charging my 2018 Bolt battery to HTR will initiate cell balancing at the end of the charge cycle? I've seen mixed responses on this, in looking at previous threads, with some saying YES, others saying, "charge to 100%," and still others saying, "don't ever worry about this."

What's the latest thinking? Thank you.
Here is my conclusion based on what my ChargePoint graph reports when not charging to 100%: NO.

When the limit is not set, you can clearly see a phase at the end of the charging process where the current draw clearly goes down progressively and terminate softly - which I guess is the leveling phase.

With the limit active, this never happens. The charge termination is abrupt, going to 0W instantly.

Again, this is not a definitive answer, just my (partly) educated guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts