Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a trip from Canada to Florida down I-95 in the near future.
Have heard that the ChargePoint card works with the other chargers, but can't verify.
Would be much safer than using credit cards at the sites, I assume.
Do not want to sign up for american charger accounts for a potential one time use.
Let me know what you know.
Thanks

PS In Canada the primary chargers we have seen are Flo

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Electrify America announced they are working with EVgo, ChargePoint, and Greenlots on such a thing. Electrify America has no RFID card of their own. They do have NFC tech to interact with the EA phone app. I have tried waving the ChargePoint, EVgo, and Greenlots cards in front of the reader to no avail. Just give up, and sign up for the EA app. You can cancel after your trip.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would agree, use the App's instead. Much more reliable down here; particularly at Electrify America which are notorious for having issues with their card readers. EVGO readers seem to work better, but most of the time if you're driving down the interstate, you will be using Electrify America.

remember, if you are having connecting issues with the heavy EA hoses, lift them up a little when trying to connect to the Bolt to relieve the weight on the port. Seems to be a weird design flaw there that this process can fix; only needed when connecting/initializing, then it charges ok most of the time.

Enjoy the trip! You'll love the range you get once in Florida :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Personally, I suggest you sign up for accounts on all the charging networks that you might use. Download their apps. Sign into them and register a method of payment. Also, get their RFID cards if possible.

As for EA, yes, in interviews, they've acknowledged they still have CC reader probs. Use their app!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Personally, I suggest you sign up for accounts on all the charging networks that you might use. Download their apps. Sign into them and register a method of payment. Also, get their RFID cards if possible.
Absolutely the best advice. I've been at chargers where the RFID card didn't work and I've had to use an app to start the charging session. And I've been at other chargers where there's been no cell reception and I've had to use the RFID card. Play it safe and be able to use both.

And if you're going on a long trip, test everything first before relying on it. Most of us Canadians live close enough to the US that it's not a big deal to drive across the border and find charging stations on the US networks to make sure those apps and cards actually work. The last thing you want to be worrying about when you're on vacation is whether or not you'll be able to charge the car.

I'd also advise bringing a portable EVSE (like the "charge cord" that came with the car) along as well, just in case you run into some unforeseen emergency. And if you're as paranoid as I am, you can't get more prepared than the Tesla UMC with a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter and AC power cords for NEMA 5-15, 10-30 and 10-50 sockets. You'll be able to take charge from almost any kind of power you run into.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
... correction, you would want a 14-50 plug, not a 10-50, for most RV sites.

Reactions: davioh2001
1 - 6 of 6 Posts