Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Does my car see ghosts?

589 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Cruzincat50
About a week or two ago, we had the Pedestrian Alert beep at us for no reason (no pedestrians or even other cards in front of us). It only lasted for a second or so at the time, and hasn't happened again for over a week. What's the deal? We only have around 1200 miles on it. My wife now thinks the car can see or sense ghosts.

(and yes, I checked under the hood and didn't see nay wires chewed up by rodents or anything like that)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
False alarm.
Better safe than sorry. It saw something. Not a ghost. If you had dash cam you might be able to review.
Better safe than sorry. It saw something. Not a ghost. If you had dash cam you might be able to review.
Are you saying we might have left a few bodies behind us and not notice it? 馃槤 Just kidding. Serious thought now. Where is the pedestrian alert sensor located? Maybe there was a dead bug on or in front of it or something?
It really depends on the ground color and shadows. I had a few phantom braking (actually more of a sudden slowdown) incidents on the highway. Just need to pay attention to the road and turn off ACC. They need to do better for self driving though.
Mine displayed the warning when I drive past a road sign one day.
Its just an imperfect tool from an imperfect creature 馃榿
But it has its own merit.
Reactions: 2
About a week or two ago, we had the Pedestrian Alert beep at us for no reason (no pedestrians or even other cards in front of us). It only lasted for a second or so at the time, and hasn't happened again for over a week. What's the deal? We only have around 1200 miles on it. My wife now thinks the car can see or sense ghosts.

(and yes, I checked under the hood and didn't see nay wires chewed up by rodents or anything like that)
The front facing camera might have a small bug or something on it, you could try wiping it off with glass cleaner ?
It seemed to me that my March, 2023 battery recall-replacement (and software update ...) improved the sensitivity of my Pedestrian Detection. There's another thread recently about people who reported actual brake triggering when there was no pedestrian, and they were traveling at high speed.
... mailboxes along the side of the road?
Were you going straight or on a curve? Sometimes the camera will think you are going to hit a parked car or something in front of it's view but you are actually on a curve.
Reactions: 1
Were you going straight or on a curve? Sometimes the camera will think you are going to hit a parked car or something in front of it's view but you are actually on a curve.
Both scenarios. It rained on a car a couple of times since then and hasn't happened since, so I'm thinking there might have been something on the glass. Another theory, now that I'm thinking about it more, it only happened when entering or traveling on a road separated by a divider with grass and trees, so there are obsticles between our side and the opposite traffic side. May have had something to do with it too.
I imagine it could be interesting when you drive up behind a truck with mudflap silhouettes, even if it is a female form sitting down.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts