Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to a certain countdown clock that was online, the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV begins full production today, October 1st. The Orion plant is definitely ready, since the plant has been producting pre-production vehicles for months (March), which are used for promotional activities, marketing, engineering shakedowns, and crash tests. A picture of completed vehicles stored at the plant's parking lot was shown online some time ago, too.

There are unofficial reports about the production start from other sources:
https://electrek.co/2016/05/13/gm-production-2017-chevy-bolt-october-2016/
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1105075_2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-electric-car-to-enter-production-in-october

So does anyone has official news from Chevrolet and/or General Motors if the production started this morning?:)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yea.. they usually release something on when it officially starts so I would wait for the official word rather than an outside source.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Won't be surprised if it starts at the end of this month but hopefully before then, chevy will need to start soon if they wan't to start delivery them before the end of this year.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do expect Chevy to begin producing the Bolt EV and getting them to dealers, because the sooner they appear on public roads and in real life situations (such at public charge stations), the more interest in the Bolt EV will grow. That can cause a chain reaction which will delay or cancel potential sales to competitor offers, and attract these same potential sales to the Chevy Bolt EV, the Chevy Volt, and other Chevy offerings, including the Chevy Malibu Hybrid.

Tesla Motors and Toyota both offer future alternatives, but the Chevy Bolt EV is real, has much better vehicle characteristics, including interior space and range, and will take away sales from these competitors. As the saying goes: He who hits first, hits the hardest!

So, GM, hit hard and sell the Chevy Bolt EV NOW!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even if production did begin Oct. 1st how likely are we to see these cars in showrooms any time soon? I ask in light of GM's announcement that the first Bolts will go to Lyft drivers.

I live in New Mexico and I am hoping to replace my current car with a Bolt but I don't expect to see one available until late 2017 at the earliest given that after Lyft drivers most of these cars will probably head to California. I hope I'm wrong. The one dealer in town has no idea when they will see these cars.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Even if production did begin Oct. 1st how likely are we to see these cars in showrooms any time soon? I ask in light of GM's announcement that the first Bolts will go to Lyft drivers.

I live in New Mexico and I am hoping to replace my current car with a Bolt but I don't expect to see one available until late 2017 at the earliest given that after Lyft drivers most of these cars will probably head to California. I hope I'm wrong. The one dealer in town has no idea when they will see these cars.
This is oft repeated misinformation. Lyft drivers are not getting the Bolt sooner, but it will be made available thru their "Express Drive" rental program (in cities where it is offered) when it is released.

Here's the root of the rumor:
https://electrek.co/2016/07/11/chevy-bolt-ev-lyft-drivers-california/
GM announced today that it is expanding its Express Drive program to supply Lyft drivers with short-term vehicle access and it will include the Bolt EV in the list of vehicle available as soon as this summer. The company writes in a press release:

“Launching in San Francisco in the summer of 2016 and in Los Angeles by the fall, Express Drive’s California members will have access to vehicles from the largest electric vehicle fleet in ridesharing, including the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV and the extended-range electric 2016 Chevrolet Volt. Express Drive will also launch operations in Denver by the fall of 2016. In San Francisco, Los Angeles and Denver combined, over 130,000 people who applied to become Lyft drivers but didn’t have qualifying cars will now have the opportunity to drive on the platform.”
Here is the clarification:
Update: a GM representative contacted to us to clarify that Lyft will actually get the vehicle later this year and not at the launch of the Express Drive program like the press release seen below led us to believe.
The recent spate of reports (USA Today, etc.) should include the qualifyer "among the first" when talking about receiving the Bolt.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/30/lyft-first-chevy-bolt-ev/
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/30/the-first-chevy-bolt-ev-you-see-might-be-your-lyft-ride/
Lyft has stated they will get the bulk of the first Bolts, GM has stated they will not.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'd believe GM over Lyft since they are the main supplier and Lyft could be saying that they'll get a bulk of the Bolts to get more Lyft drivers on board.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
...I live in New Mexico and I am hoping to replace my current car with a Bolt but I don't expect to see one available until late 2017 at the earliest ... The one dealer in town has no idea when they will see these cars.
Looks like there is now 5 Bolts in stock in Santa Fe New Mexico. I'm in Las Cruces. They have zip, zero, nada... in Las Cruces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts