Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla publishes a firefighter's guide for their vehicles to guide firefighters on how to deal with a battery fire after an accident. I cannot find a similar guide for the Bolt. It also has markers to guide firefighters on how to disable the high voltage battery system to help bring the fire under control. See this article and video: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/heres-what-firefighters-do-to-extinguish-a-battery-fire-on-a-tesla-model-s/ar-AAtHVle?li=BBnb7Kz for an example. It seems that Chevy should provide the same kind of information as a matter of safety for anyone trying to fight a Bolt fire. In fact, any EV should have such a guide. Does anyone know if such a guide exists for the Bolt?

·
Registered
862 Posts
EV's have become ubiquitous enough that there have been standards developed to help first responders. High Voltage cables are bright orange, there are many warning labels, etc.

There are resources for those interested (not sure if they would access these on scene or not):
http://135jik1bbhst1159ri1ax2pj.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2010/11/2016-Chevrolet-Bolt-Rescue-Sheet.pdf

http://www.boronextrication.com/emergency-response-guides/emergency-response-guides-erg-hybrid/

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
"For safety's sake, there are two separate disconnects. For service concerns, there's a manual disconnect hidden underneath the rear seat. In front of the battery is a rather hefty crash-safety system, which cuts power in a collision, making it safer for first responders."

http://www.cmhchevrolet.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Chevrolet-Bolt-Battery-Pack-1024x522.jpg

Run your hand along the bottom of the rear seat cushion. You will find two small release latches, which will allow you to pull up the front edge of the seat cushion. You can see the big orange circuit breaker, as pictured above.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Under the hood right next to the 12 volt battery is a label affixed to a wire harness breakout point for fire fighters to cut :nerd:

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
So they cut the 12 volts to the SRS (airbag system) to prevent it blowing in the fire fighters face. I wish, years ago, we had mandated five point racing harnesses, instead of expensive, failure prone airbags. Of course, we wouldn't want consumers to think driving at high speeds is actually dangerous.

·
Registered
989 Posts
So they cut the 12 volts to the SRS (airbag system) to prevent it blowing in the fire fighters face. I wish, years ago, we had mandated five point racing harnesses, instead of expensive, failure prone airbags. Of course, we wouldn't want consumers to think driving at high speeds is actually dangerous.
Who said anything about the SRS system ? The SRS system has an energy reserve module (DERM) that will power the SRS system for a period of time after the 12 volt battery has been disconnected. This keeps it from failing to deploy if the 12 volt power is interrupted.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
The mandate was to provide a means of passenger restraint that took no effort on the part of the passenger. We had those horrible automatic chest belts before airbags became commonplace.

Why mandate a five point racing harness when anyone who is interested can purchase and install one?

All of this will be moot in the future when cars mostly avoid accidents, and seatbelts are no longer required equipment.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I was not suggesting mandates. I was suggesting that, if we were going to have mandates, they should be light, simple, cheap, and dependable.

Autonomous cars will be none of these things.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought there must be some guidance available, I just couldn't locate it. Thanks to those posters with the information. It also shows that some thought has gone into this aspect of the vehicle and that is good to know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts