Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you are looking for 2023 or early 2024 models to buy and looking at Bolt for this time frame, you will be better off holding for actual EV you want. Bolt EV is far behind on technology and charging speed to be considered as good 2nd hand, one vehicle to do all for many people or families. There is still value kings like Toyota and Honda that you can buy for 25k or less new and they are quite good at quality and reliability. And if you are conservative driver they can easily deliver better than 40+ MPG.
The only thing about the Bolt that feels "behind on technology" is the DCFC speed, but that doesn't matter for how I will use my Bolt, so it doesn't feel behind at all. I'm sure there are lots of EV buyers who still plan on using an ICE vehicle for road trips and will never need to DCFC more than once a year. Average number of vehicles per household in the US is 1.9.

I feel like the Bolt is actually ahead on technology compared to many cars at its price point, including ICE. I suspect many people care more about features like wireless Carplay/AA, ventilated seats, Super Cruise, heated steering wheel, 360 degree camera and on and on over DCFC speed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only thing about the Bolt that feels "behind on technology" is the DCFC speed, but that doesn't matter for how I will use my Bolt, so it doesn't feel behind at all. I'm sure there are lots of EV buyers who still plan on using an ICE vehicle for road trips and will never need to DCFC more than once a year. Average number of vehicles per household in the US is 1.9.

I feel like the Bolt is actually ahead on technology compared to many cars at its price point, including ICE. I suspect many people care more about features like wireless Carplay/AA, ventilated seats, Super Cruise, heated steering wheel, 360 degree camera and on and on over DCFC speed.
I agree with you about the Bolt's technology, except for, as you noted, the DCFC charge speed. The efficiency is basically the same as any of the other "more modern" EVs at around 4 miles per kwh, as is the overall range. And the feature set is very competitive and up to date.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
For awhile there, I felt like LG was a direct sabotager to the Bolt. The very worst form of competition. Competition by disqualification.

No, please don’t flame me for a different viewpoint!

(I’m not serious) 🫣

·
Registered
2021 Black Bolt EV Premier
1,337 Posts
Maybe. If it was a unilateral preemptive maneuver. The Bolt beat the M3 by a year, so the M3 was a direct competitor to the Bolt. Not visa-versa.
No maybes…IT WAS. Pure and simple. They were afraid of Teslas promise of a $25k USD EV and the Bolt was the result. Also Tesla was late with the Model 3 ( big surprise there 🤣 ) and so the timelines match up.

Also a lot of reviewers also stated the Bolt was the response to the Model 3 announcement.

Also Tesla DID release the cheap Model 3 but neutered the helllll out of it. It didn’t last long and you could only order it through a phone call directly to Tesla.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Maybe. If it was a unilateral preemptive maneuver. The Bolt beat the M3 by a year, so the M3 was a direct competitor to the Bolt. Not visa-versa.
My initial thought was "BMW M3"...

I still think the Leaf, the i3 (before it was cancelled), the Niro, Kona, and a few hybrids are competitors. You have to ask what people in the Bolt EUV market are looking for, and that's an inexpensive vehicle that helps with rising fuel costs. GM does have a bit of an edge with the Bolt as it has a lot of value for the money.

It will be interesting to see how GM tries to introduce the other vehicles it's bringing to market without cannibalizing Bolt sales. I can't imagine that GM would continue to manufacture the batteries that are used in the Bolt (might explain why they're so quiet about the new vehicle that is due out, I'm personally hoping that they call it a Cavalier 🤪 ) as it would be more expensive to have different manufacturing lines. The Ultium line is probably going to be used across the board and will open up the competition.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
No maybes…IT WAS. Pure and simple. They were afraid of Teslas promise of a $25k USD EV and the Bolt was the result. Also Tesla was late with the Model 3 ( big surprise there 🤣 ) and so the timelines match up.

Also a lot of reviewers also stated the Bolt was the response to the Model 3 announcement.

Also Tesla DID release the cheap Model 3 but neutered the helllll out of it. It didn’t last long and you could only order it through a phone call directly to Tesla.
You can make it all about Tesla if you want, I think that the first ants at the picnic get the people dancing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

I still think the Leaf, the i3 (before it was cancelled), the Niro, Kona, and a few hybrids are competitors. You have to ask what people in the Bolt EUV market are looking for, and that's an inexpensive vehicle that helps with rising fuel costs. GM does have a bit of an edge with the Bolt as it has a lot of value for the money.

It will be interesting to see how GM tries to introduce the other vehicles it's bringing to market without cannibalizing Bolt sales. I can't imagine that GM would continue to manufacture the batteries that are used in the Bolt (might explain why they're so quiet about the new vehicle that is due out, I'm personally hoping that they call it a Cavalier 🤪 ) as it would be more expensive to have different manufacturing lines. The Ultium line is probably going to be used across the board and will open up the competition.
Before we purchased the Bolt, we looked at the Kona and the Niro. The Kona had almost no trunk space and it felt very tight inside. The Niro was a close second to the Bolt, but amongst other things I liked the visibility (at least in the front) and braking better in the Bolt. I've also come to really enjoy the one-pedal driving of the Bolt, which is way better than our previous Leaf imo. I think the Kona and the Niro were good options before the tax credit changes. Now the prices are not even close, in favor of the Bolt.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
They became ineligible on Aug 16 because they aren’t assembled in North America. Both are scrambling to move production here and estimate they’ll do that in 2024.
... that's what I get for not keeping up with news. Thanks for that correction, I had no idea.

Interesting to see the Ds valuing Made in America, because I always thought that was an R value. Perhaps that's a place to find common ground?

I still mostly don't care where things are made, except if US taxpayers are going to fund a subsidy, it shouldn't end up in the pockets of foreign businesses. Are there any foreign governments that provide subsidies to Tesla, for instance? It kinda doesn't matter though, because those economies are a fraction of the US. Norway can do whatever they want, for instance, and the rest of the world doesn't notice. (not intended as an insult to Norwegians)

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt and all Tesla models owned by me and my family
978 Posts

Ultium is glorified LG Chem Kia/Hyundai modules ( only difference is BMS that is wireless). A lot of future GM EV are under the skin LG hardware like what you see on Bolt.
It is not something groundbreaking or completely GM design from scratch. LG supply hardware for not only GM but BMW, VW and many other manufacturers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
... that's what I get for not keeping up with news. Thanks for that correction, I had no idea.

Interesting to see the Ds valuing Made in America, because I always thought that was an R value. Perhaps that's a place to find common ground?

I still mostly don't care where things are made, except if US taxpayers are going to fund a subsidy, it shouldn't end up in the pockets of foreign businesses. Are there any foreign governments that provide subsidies to Tesla, for instance? It kinda doesn't matter though, because those economies are a fraction of the US. Norway can do whatever they want, for instance, and the rest of the world doesn't notice. (not intended as an insult to Norwegians)
I don't think being an isolationist country is a good idea for us, I know it doesn't seem to be working out for N Korea. Some countries are already challenging the "made in USA" qualifier and are stating that it violates trade agreements already in place.

I'm ok with giving the credit to companies that use unionized workers as unionized workers are paid better, and I think ultimately helps with the economy by putting money into consumers' hands. If foreign companies want to play ball, then that is fine by me. Countries that would prefer to exploit their workers will need to get with the times.

Ultium is glorified LG Chem Kia/Hyundai modules ( only difference is BMS that is wireless). A lot of future GM EV are under the skin LG hardware like what you see on Bolt.
It is not something groundbreaking or completely GM design from scratch. LG supply hardware for not only GM but BMW, VW and many other manufacturers.
lol, I'm getting a bout of Deja Vu as I thought I remember seeing another post about the differences in Ultium vs what's currently in the Bolt. Even if it's just a marketing ploy, you figure that the buying public will be the ultimate judge of whether or not to buy into it (literally). If the vehicle that GM is keeping under wraps is a Bolt with the Ultium platform, it will be interesting to see if the current generation Bolt suffers. I say it will, not just because of the marketing, but because it's typical of an older model.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Launch Edition
5 Posts
I saw this article the other day, so I'm not sure if it necessarily takes the Leaf out of contention.

I will say that the reason I'm going from a Leaf to a Bolt (yes, I'm giving up the i4 order) is because the Bolt seems to have more options that I care about. I do hope that Chevy has improved the Infotainment on the Bolt. That's probably one thing I don't really care for on my Camaro that I like on my Leaf, the responsiveness of the stereo unit. I change the channels and it happens instantaneously. In the Camaro, there's an annoying delay. I'm also curious to see if plugging in my phone will get me fast charging like it does in my Leaf. My Camaro doesn't have USB-C plugs, which seems like another misstep for Chevy. We'll see how the Bolt compares with its tech.
You'll be pleased with the Infotainment in the Bolt!

·
Registered
364 Posts
You'll be pleased with the Infotainment in the Bolt!
I was just thinking about how something as simple as advancing the station to your next favorite and not having to wait a second for it to change is a letdown on GM's vehicles on my drive home from work today. Even something that simple really makes the infotainment seem either sluggish or cutting edge. My Leaf changes instantaneously but my Camaro takes a split second to advance. Kind of funny given that the Leaf has the instant torque, and the Camaro has the lag of being a 6-speed AND an ICE, it's like the radio in each is a reflection of how each reacts off the line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I saw this article the other day, so I'm not sure if it necessarily takes the Leaf out of contention.

I will say that the reason I'm going from a Leaf to a Bolt (yes, I'm giving up the i4 order) is because the Bolt seems to have more options that I care about. I do hope that Chevy has improved the Infotainment on the Bolt. That's probably one thing I don't really care for on my Camaro that I like on my Leaf, the responsiveness of the stereo unit. I change the channels and it happens instantaneously. In the Camaro, there's an annoying delay. I'm also curious to see if plugging in my phone will get me fast charging like it does in my Leaf. My Camaro doesn't have USB-C plugs, which seems like another misstep for Chevy. We'll see how the Bolt compares with its tech.
The Nissan Leaf is much more solid in my opinion. My local Nissan dealership has a fast charger and a level 2 charger Available 24/7 for free.

Before I bought the 2021 Bolt and level 2 home charger, I could go to Nissan at any time and charge my leaf, with no problem.

At the Bolt dealership the level 2 chargers has never been available, I think they always seem to have there new cars using them all of the time

My Leaf is about 7 years old and it came with 95 miles new and to day I can still charge it up to about 90 miles per charge Now that's a great battery system...

Also the Leaf came with navigation but the Bolt has to have a cell phone to have GPS...To me that is an added burden.

Now don't get me wrong the Bolt is nice but I don't like their navigation set up when compared to the Leaf.

I didn't buy another Leaf because of their range, otherwise I would have bought it instead of the Bolt... I do hope that this is informative to all...

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Nissan Leaf is much more solid in my opinion. My local Nissan dealership has a fast charger and a level 2 charger Available 24/7 for free.

Before I bought the 2021 Bolt and level 2 home charger, I could go to Nissan at any time and charge my leaf, with no problem.

At the Bolt dealership the level 2 chargers has never been available, I think they always seem to have there new cars using them all of the time

My Leaf is about 7 years old and it came with 95 miles new and to day I can still charge it up to about 90 miles per charge Now that's a great battery system...

Also the Leaf came with navigation but the Bolt has to have a cell phone to have GPS...To me that is an added burden.

Now don't get me wrong the Bolt is nice but I don't like their navigation set up when compared to the Leaf.

I didn't buy another Leaf because of their range, otherwise I would have bought it instead of the Bolt... I do hope that this is informative to all...
I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to hold onto my 2022 SL Plus because I couldn't get a Bolt, but I do think that some of the features that are available on the Bolt make it a more attractive buy for me. Probably the biggest advantage is the extra cash back I'll get for using a GM employee discount. After that discount, when I get the Blazer order, the trade-in for the Bolt will be easier to get more money from the Chevy dealership than if I were trading in my 15 month old Leaf.

I saw this article about the Equinox and while I suspect it's click bait, it might make for a good comparison.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just bought an euv. Kona isn't sold in my part of the US. We test drove a Niro and liked it, but the base model was $40k.We were seriously considering the ioniq 5, but to get what we wanted was going to be $47.
When they dropped the price on the 23 Bolt and Euv, we watched a LOT of reviews, and order the euv sight unseen. We gave up the faster charge time, and upgraded to the premier trim level, and walked out @ $33k. And it feels HUGE inside compared to the Niro, but is actually smaller in dimensions (great for tight parking areas where I shop). Right now, the bolt and euv have no price competition.
If they stay at those prices in Jan and qualify for the full $7500, I don't think many ice cars will be competitive, much less ev's

21 - 40 of 41 Posts