Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for Bolt EUV owners.

I'm thinking about buying a 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV, but one thing's giving me and my loved ones pause. When I spoke with a Bolt EV owner who works at one of the car dealerships I went to, he said that he doesn't drive his Bolt EV on highways when it rains hard (thunderstorms) here in Florida. He says the EV is "all torque" and a small car, so according to him it slips and hydroplanes easily. He says he drives on side-roads and stays off the highway when it's raining hard.

Is that your experience too with the EUV? Or is the EUV safe to ride in a rainstorm on highways? If not, what precautionary measures would I need to take?

·
Registered
20 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV, but one thing's giving me and my loved ones pause. When I spoke with a Bolt EV owner who works at one of the car dealerships I went to, he said that he doesn't drive his Bolt EV on highways when it rains hard (thunderstorms) here in Florida. He says the EV is "all torque" and a small car, so according to him it slips and hydroplanes easily. He says he drives on side-roads and stays off the highway when it's raining hard.

Is that your experience too with the EUV? Or is the EUV safe to ride in a rainstorm on highways? If not, what precautionary measures would I need to take?
I've owned my EUV since early August '21 and have driven in rain and light snow on a number of occasions. I have not experienced any excessive wheel spin or hydroplaning. I can certainly cause intentional wheel spin in dry or conditions, but the car is comparable to other ICE front drive cars I've owned.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,499 Posts
I think this is more of a function of the tires than anything else. I have no problems driving in hard rain on Michigan roads, but my Bolt (and the OEM tires) only have about 13,000 miles on it.

The OEM tires are Michelin low rolling resistance tires. That low rolling resistance means better range, but less grippiness.

If the Bolt EV owner you spoke with likes to accelerate hard, that would do 2 things:
1. Tend to cause more tire slip
2. Tend to wear out the tires more quickly
Really, if he wants to drive like that, he should get different tires that are designed more for performance rather than range.

It's like driving a high performance car. If you use that performance to the limit all the time, you should get tires suited for that type of driving. But you don't have to floor the accelerator at every stop light. If you drive normally, then in my admittedly limited experience, the OEM tires are fine, even in hard rain, even on the highway. As my tires get more miles and start to wear out, that experience may change. Then I'll just replace the tires.

Edit: Clarification - I have a 2020 EV LT, not a 2022 EUV. The torque and tires are the same, but the EUV wheelbase is 3 inches longer, which should make it feel a little more stable at high speeds.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premiere
325 Posts
We have a 2021 Bolt. Same tires as the 2022/2023 EV/EUV - same model, same size.
In over a year of driving - no issues in heavy rain or snow. Tell the Bolt owner that works
at the dealer - don't use one pedal driving(L setting) when it's raining or snowing. Maybe
shut off "Sport" mode and make sure traction control is on.

Also; if that 's the only issue holding you back from betting an EUV - you can always
swap to whatever tires you feel are better.

·
Registered
2020 LT
120 Posts

According to the manual, the vehicle has TCS traction control system and ESC electric stability control.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premiere
325 Posts
How are the OEM tires in light snow? Has anyone put winter tires on their Bolts?
Only two winters so far w/ the Bolt on the factory/OEM tires.
No problems for me. I'm in the New York City area - so winters
aren't as crazy compared to more northern regions. But over the
years(decades actually) driving in the area - I rarely swapped to
snow tires. Most of my cars, have been front wheel drive models.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Both my wife and I have driven our 2017 in rain and snow for five

Total BS. My wife and I have driven our Bolt in rain and snow for five-an-a-half-years with no problems. Since we're in the northern tier,, we do, of course, have a set of winter tires.

But agree, the OEM Michelins are LRR first and traction second. Also, they have less tread depth (8/32") than old school (10-11/32") tires, so they don't clear standing water as well. However, think about it, old school tires will eventually be worn toward the 2/32" wear bars, so are you gonna park the car when it rains? Not usually; just drive per conditions.

jack vines

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm going to see how the tires that came with the car do this winter. I live in the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan and I don't change any of the vehicles tires I've had except one car and they do make a big difference but I've never had problems with the stock tires. It seems driving ability has a fair amount of impact as well. Where I live they only salt the Michigan marked road that I live near. They plow the other roads after a day or two but do not treat them. They have a constant degree of ice on them. On some roads the county puts out a 55 gal drum of sand at each side of a good size dip in the road. Lol
A self serve deal.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT - Kinetic Blue
267 Posts
To answer the OP question directly: No, so long as you have the right tires. I took off the factory LRR tires with only 600 miles (sold them to a Leaf owner) and replaced them with Michelin CrossClimate2 tires. Absolutely no regrets (the loss in range doesn't bother me too much, but it is real).

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
712 Posts
The OEM Michelins on my Bolt when I bought it used (about 35K miles) were nearly worn out, and would lose traction all the time even on dry roads. California wet roads (nothing like a Florida thunderstorm) were sort of like 4-wheel ice skating, though not as bad as the Dunlops that came with the Mazda I had before the Bolt. The replacement Bridgestone run-flats, while not really performance tires, have immensely more grip especially in the wet. So consider the tires. Then, there's the right foot, as others noted. The Bolt takes some learning because of the quick torque. Consider using Drive rather than L or one-pedal - in my '17 that seems to be easier to ease into at a start.

·
Registered
2022 EUV Premier, former 2020 EV Premier
264 Posts
I drove our 2020 EV for most of 2 winters, and had no issues with it in rain/snow with OEM tires. We haven't driven our 2022 EUV with OEM tires in snow yet, but it has handled significant rain with no issues. That being said, I don't drive it like I stole it most of the time ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's not the car it's the tires. I had the exact issue with my Volt when I had OEM Michelins Energy Saver. Once I replaced them with a set of Pirellis, the problem didn't exist any longer.I'm not expecting anything different from my new Bolt EUV. After 36k miles, these OEM tires will go in the garbage.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The tires aren't the grippiest but we've never had a problem. Mechanic sounds like a dope. Just adjust your speed according to the road conditions like you're supposed to.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts