Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 had a check engine while rapid charging 7 out of 10 chargers while traveling. ONSTAR said nothing is wrong when I pressed the blue button, Capitol chevy said nothing is wrong, ONSTAR diagnostics said nothing is wrong in the monthly report... But my local service manager peeked at my car and HOLY **** DO NOT TRUST ONSTAR MONTHLY REPORTS AT ALL

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Onstar reports are just looking at a snapshot in time. If the code wasn't active during the snapshot it won't show up on the onstar diagnostic report.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Onstar reports are just looking at a snapshot in time. If the code wasn't active during the snapshot it won't show up on the onstar diagnostic report.
That is not entirely true. OnStar can see some codes that are not current, and even time stamp them in some cases. But OnStar reports will not see every code, either. It seems to be quite spotty, and less reliable on EVs.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
97 Posts
100% agree
Just had 3 codes on battery in dongle and even by the dealer. But not on OnStar.not the report, on the phone

350$ a year? For what. Yes it’s nice to know somone will know when you crash.
But you still have to pay extra to get stolen car assistance ( i think). Can not imagine they will refuse to find your car when stolen, if they have the capability

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
350$ a year? For what. Yes it’s nice to know somone will know when you crash.
But you still have to pay extra to get stolen car assistance ( i think). Can not imagine they will refuse to find your car when stolen, if they have the capability
Then you've never lived in a fire district with annual assessments. If you haven't paid for fire protection, they'll come out to make sure your fire doesn't burn down the guy next door who did pay, but they won't piss on your house as it burns to the ground.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Maybe GM has enough on its plate currently so they just "grouped" all the diagnostic checks: if the car reports back at all, OnStar can deduce it hasn't burnt yet so it just lights up all green check marks in the diagnostics at once. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
But, does this imply that some people were actually trusting their dealers and/or OnStar?

(Sorry... Couldn't resist that one...)

·
Registered
2021Bolt
97 Posts
Then you've never lived in a fire district with annual assessments. If you haven't paid for fire protection, they'll come out to make sure your fire doesn't burn down the guy next door who did pay, but they won't piss on your house as it burns to the ground.

jack vines
Hello
Not sure what this has to do with OnStar not reading codes correctly like they used too. Bad info can lead to unsafe conditions
Paying for fire protection or taxes is necessary.
Unless you mean the OnStar service will pick up a fire in the parked Bolt?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

jack vines
They banned that outside Phoenix, AZ, a house fire got off the property and spread far. You get billed 1500 an hour now if you don't have service.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Can not imagine they will refuse to find your car when stolen, if they have the capability
Of course they will, they're not police. If a police officer got on the line with OnStar and OS didn't help, one could try to say OS withheld information on a crime from a police officer, but I imagine that's already been to court.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They banned that outside Phoenix, AZ, a house fire got off the property and spread far. You get billed 1500 an hour now if you don't have service.

jack vines
This is real? You have to subscribe for fire protection from the public fire department? How is this not a protection racket?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
This is real? You have to subscribe for fire protection from the public fire department? How is this not a protection racket?
In California I was forced to pay an additional fire tax because I was outside the city limits by literally zero feet (property line was at city limit). That was in California... so they're not gonna give you a choice, despite my home being about a mile from the fire station. Of course it was implemented to be more "fair". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It pretty much was. It was a private fire dept. with some state or county funding I think. Now they fight the fire, but bill you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts