Discussion Starter #1
When we are getting out of the car after turning it off:
1. Doors are locked
2. pull on handle twice, drivers door opens
3. get out, close door
4. press door button, passenger side lock opens
5. press door button, all door opens
6. press door button, all door locked

Must we go through this routine ? Is there a way to just lock the door with one button push after getting out and closing driver's door ? (I did notice that if you unlock the driver door with the unlock button on the door, you can achieve locking the car with one button push at step 4.

·
Registered
989 Posts
1. Doors are locked
3. get out, close door

Must we go through this routine ? Is there a way to just lock the door with one button push after getting out and closing driver's door ? (I did notice that if you unlock the driver door with the unlock button on the door, you can achieve locking the car with one button push at step 4.
You need to read the owners manual. You can set the car up to lock automatically too :nerd:
Use the 10 inch infotainment screen and go into Vehicle and then into remote lock/unlock/start and then into the passive door lock. Turn it on with chirp and the car will lock itself every-time after the doors are closed with a short delay. The horn will chirp to notify you that it's locked.

You can also set the locks to unlock when the car is put into park and you won't need to flip the door handle twice to get out. You really should read the manual to help be less confused.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1. Doors are locked
3. get out, close door

Why are you using the lock button on the door at all?

1. turn off car
2. (if needed, press 'unlock' button on door, then) get out
3. close all doors
4. push the 'lock' button on key-fob
5. walk away

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
A lot us find it more convenient to not have to fish our keys out of our pockets or purse to unlock or lock the car.

I've even gotten to the point of using the passive door-lock feature. Remove all keys from car, close door, ~5 seconds later, car automatically locks itself.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've even gotten to the point of using the passive door-lock feature. Remove all keys from car, close door, ~5 seconds later, car automatically locks itself.
This is all I have ever done. I turn the car off, the doors unlock, I open the door, get out, close the door, and walk away. The doors lock on their own.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why are you using the lock button on the door at all?

1. turn off car
2. (if needed, press 'unlock' button on door, then) get out
3. close all doors
4. push the 'lock' button on key-fob
5. walk away
cos I prefer not to take key out of my pocket, hence using the exterior door buttons.

But, I have read the responses on setting up auto lock. Will do that

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is all I have ever done. I turn the car off, the doors unlock, I open the door, get out, close the door, and walk away. The doors lock on their own.
Yea I have to agree.. Being able to get out and walk away and hear the chirp as confirmation is nice. Never touch the key.

The only annoyance is if you are walking around the car to get something out of the other side, it will usually have locked before I get to the other doors.

I wish I could leave it on and walk away, have it auto-lock, unable to shift to drive, but leave climate/infotainment on.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I use the remote lock on my Prius C all the time. You don't have to remove the key from your pocket to use it - I never do.
The point of the door buttons is not only do you not have to remove the key from your pocket, you don't have to even touch the key fob to lock/unlock the doors in the first place.

Reactions: shepdave

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only downside to not using the remote is that believe the charge cord theft alert is only armed/disarmed with the RKE transmitter (pg. 233 in the manual).

I use it every night since I'm using 120V cord on my driveway. I've forgotten to disarm it a couple of times when I unlocked the door with the button push and unplugged the charge cable, which triggered the alarm, you get a possible OnStar theft alert along with the horn honk and light flash about 10 seconds after you unplug.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
The point of the door buttons is not only do you not have to remove the key from your pocket, you don't have to even touch the key fob to lock/unlock the doors in the first place.
Is there a door lock button on the inside of the door? I've gotten into the habit of pressing that button as I exit the car so that I don't have to use the remote.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is there a door lock button on the inside of the door? I've gotten into the habit of pressing that button as I exit the car so that I don't have to use the remote.
Just get out, close the door, and walk away. The door will lock on its own as long as you have the key with you and didn't leave it in the car. No need to press any buttons.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just get out, close the door, and walk away. The door will lock on its own as long as you have the key with you and didn't leave it in the car. No need to press any buttons.

As long as you have the passive lock turned on. Don't tell people they're car will lock automatically,
UNLESS, you tell them to activate the passive lock feature too:eek:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
There is a lock button on the inside, but I haven't tested things to see if the smart key system will refuse to actually lock the door while the door is still open, or if it can still detect the presence of the key inside of the car, or think that the key is still inside. Something I'll have to test next week when I'm home again.

I know that my Prii (2005 & 2012 Plug-in) and our 2016 Highlander will refuse to lock the driver's door using the inside button if I'm sitting inside, or if it thinks the key might be inside. I got in the habit of using the outside buttons and touch sensors to lock those cars a long time ago. Hitting the button on the outside of the Bolt isn't any different than what I was doing in the Prii/Highlander.

·
Registered
989 Posts
There is a lock button on the inside, but I haven't tested things to see if the smart key system will refuse to actually lock the door while the door is still open, or if it can still detect the presence of the key inside of the car, or think that the key is still inside. Something I'll have to test next week when I'm home again.

I know that my Prii (2005 & 2012 Plug-in) and our 2016 Highlander will refuse to lock the driver's door using the inside button if I'm sitting inside, or if it thinks the key might be inside. I got in the habit of using the outside buttons and touch sensors to lock those cars a long time ago. Hitting the button on the outside of the Bolt isn't any different than what I was doing in the Prii/Highlander.
You can turn on the anti lockout feature. It's in the menu like the passive lock system.
GM's have a delayed lock feature. Get out of the car and hit the power lock button.
The locks will lock a short time after the door is closed.
I have not inspected if this works on the Bolt, as, I have the passive system active.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
My problem with this is that I've heard of occasions on some cars where the auto-lock feature doesn't actually lock the doors - so I don't really trust it. And I don't trust myself, either - that's why I'm in the habit of always testing the driver's door to ensure that it's locked after I close it even though I lock it manually.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My problem with this is that I've heard of occasions on some cars where the auto-lock feature doesn't actually lock the doors - so I don't really trust it. And I don't trust myself, either - that's why I'm in the habit of always testing the driver's door to ensure that it's locked after I close it even though I lock it manually.
This is why I have mine set to chirp the horn when it locks the car.
I know it's locked with the horn alert.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts