Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three out of the four door checks in my 2017 Bolt are deteriorating - Thankfully this doesn't seem to be causing any problems with the actual movement of the door, yet anyways. The good news is that there appears to be a steel core in the middle of the plastic, but at some point I see these needing replacement. Mind you, the car isn't even 4 years old yet, and the most deteriorated one is the front passenger door, and the least is the rear passenger door. The driver door is somewhere in between.

I'd have figured that after decades of making these things GM would figure out how to make them last...but I guess not. The good news is that they're under $20 each, but it looks like I'll have to rip the door apart to get them installed when the time comes.

How are everybody else's door checks looking ?

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I know a guy who did a bicycle trip in Iceland. The winds were so strong, he saw a door of a car being opened ripped from the driver's hand and thrown into a field.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the plastic is molded over a steel strap, I don't think the steel is stretching, and the door most frequently used by my kids is the least deteriorated. Which is really counterintuitive. My guess is that the equivalent of a cam roller or wherever that rides in the track is just pressing on that spot and squishing it. Wrong resin choice is my guess. Probably should be glass filled nylon, but it looks like ABS🤣 so yeah. A Chevy. It's also hot as balls in LA and the car is an early 2017

·
Registered
13 Posts
Three out of the four door checks in my 2017 Bolt are deteriorating - Thankfully this doesn't seem to be causing any problems with the actual movement of the door, yet anyways. The good news is that there appears to be a steel core in the middle of the plastic, but at some point I see these needing replacement. Mind you, the car isn't even 4 years old yet, and the most deteriorated one is the front passenger door, and the least is the rear passenger door. The driver door is somewhere in between.

I'd have figured that after decades of making these things GM would figure out how to make them last...but I guess not. The good news is that they're under $20 each, but it looks like I'll have to rip the door apart to get them installed when the time comes.

View attachment 29364
View attachment 29365
View attachment 29366
Mine are all fine on my 17 but I don’t live in A Hot climate, I had a friend that had a VW that spent time in Texas and I checked her oil one day and her plastic dip stick snapped off. I still felt guilty so I bought her a new one. This will probably happen to many Bolts in hot area.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mine are all fine on my 17 but I don’t live in A Hot climate, I had a friend that had a VW that spent time in Texas and I checked her oil one day and her plastic dip stick snapped off. I still felt guilty so I bought her a new one. This will probably happen to many Bolts in hot area.

All those VW dipsticks break. It's from cheap plastics and high engine bay temps.
The coolant fan blows hot air into the engine bay right onto the dipstick.
Has nothing to do with ambient temps. I see this all the time!

·
Registered
987 Posts

View attachment 29364
View attachment 29365
View attachment 29366
This is from abuse. Look at the last image and you can see how the plastic is turning
white from the stress. I always control my doors with my hand and never let them
open freely. This is what damages hinges and stays. I've seen cars with steel stays
the have been ripped off the mounts at the body. Looks like the 4th door isn't used ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is from abuse. Look at the last image and you can see how the plastic is turning
white from the stress. I always control my doors with my hand and never let them
open freely. This is what damages hinges and stays. I've seen cars with steel stays
the have been ripped off the mounts at the body. Looks like the 4th door isn't used ?
You'd be a great service manager.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
white from the stress.
Don't be so sure about that. For one, the check has an inmolded steel strap that does the structural work. The plastic is just the cam that provides the detents against some sort of roller, ball, or something like that against a spring loaded cam follower.

Next up is that those doors usually are up against my wife's car, so they never open full swing, and my 7-year-old is in the door that's least damaged, and on the side that doesn't face another vehicle, allowing full extension, which makes the very least sense. Car seats and booster seats mandate that the same kid always uses the same door.

My theory is that it's heat related, since the side of the car that has the most deterioration is south facing at home and west facing and hot as **** all afternoon at work. I think the plastic is softening up in the heat, and the overly-aggressive cam follower gadget is bursting the overmold when it's in the softened state. Of course, it's happening in slightly different locations on each door, which is odd, but could be explained by the internal works of the door check. I haven't taken it apart. Another argument against abuse is that the burst is happening on both sides (front and back / inside / outside) of the strap, not on one side like it would if it were being bent by overzealous opening. And I'm pretty sure the steel strap isn't stretching. I mean.. it could, but there would probably be a failure at the ring where it attaches to the door frame, or some bulging of the door frame at the attachment point. It would take close to 800 lbs to start to stretch the strap (guessing that it's 1/4 x 1/16 and made from the worst steel ever) which is probably achievable by a kid on a lever as long as the door.. but still, the case against abuse is not as great as it would appear at first blush, especially because my worst offender doesn't sit in the hardest hit seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts