Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I installed my Draw-Tite hitch the other day, and did an installation video. Doing it for the first time, if I had not been filming would have taken me about half an hour. Now, knowing what I need to do, and already having the hole in the bumper cover for the receiver to go through it is a 10 min job to take it off or put it on.

Enjoy the video!

Keith

PS: If you think it deserves a thumb up or a thumb down, don't be shy... my wife loves to see them.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thanks for posting this. For the future, you can get some small tripods that would hold your camera (or phone) to make it easier to take the shots you wanted.

But the main thing is that it would be great to have seen the final product. What does your Bolt look like with the hitch attached? What does it look like towing something?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put on a Drawtite two weeks ago to haul a couple of mountain bikes. I use a Kuat rack and was alarmed at how much the Drawtite hitch flexed and bounced around. I removed the hitch and welded a solid steel bar across the top from one side to the other. The bar is 1.5" x 1". That took care of the twisting the square tube was doing and now the rack is solid.

Sorry, I didn't take any pics

Tim

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike racks seem to put more stress on a receiver hitch than towing a trailer does due to the large lever arm of the rack and the twisting motion. I use my hitch to pull a 5 x 8 utility trailer. So far the only thing I have hauled is my lawn tractor in to a repair shop for a warranty replacement of one of the deck motors (Ryobi electric riding mower). No problems, with the lawn tractor on the trailer driving the speed limit (55 most of the way) with the AC blasting I got 2.7 miles per kwh, driving back with the trailer empty I got 3.2 miles per kwh. Typically on the same type of trip without a trailer I get 4.2 to 4.5 miles per kwh depending on climate control settings.

Keith

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I put on a Drawtite two weeks ago to haul a couple of mountain bikes. I use a Kuat rack and was alarmed at how much the Drawtite hitch flexed and bounced around. I removed the hitch and welded a solid steel bar across the top from one side to the other. The bar is 1.5" x 1". That took care of the twisting the square tube was doing and now the rack is solid.

Sorry, I didn't take any pics

Tim

I screwed a 1" eye bolt approx. 1" from the top of the central vertical member of my bike rack. I screwed a six inch section of steel 1" angle to the rear screw holes in the roof rails, with a 1" chain repair loop in a hole in the back of each. Rope from each roof rail to the eye bolt in the rack solved any bouncing or twisting I had with 110 lbs of e-bikes on a 100 lb capacity bike rack. I slipped the ropes through a section of hot water pipe rubber insulation to protect the "spoiler" contact points.

MacGyver would be proud...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts