Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to take my Bolt from Folsom 72 miles up into the Dinner Pass in the Sierra Mountain range. Can I make it? I will have a passenger, luggage, and A/C on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, you will make it just fine. When driving a mountain pass, the slower you go, the more range you will have due to less wind resistance. I have driven over Sonora pass from Twain Harte California to Bridgeport which is 86 miles one way and a climb from 4000ft at Twain Harte to 9500ft at the pass summit and then down to 6400ft at Bridgeport. I did a round trip and I had finished with about 26kw or 95 miles on the GOM. Driving from the summit back about half way down to Twain Harte, I put in about 6kwh of power back to the battery instead of heating up brakes. Good surprising result for a 182 mile round trip..... Even used a little A/C. I would estimate at least a 200 mile range any one direction (even from sea level to 4000 ft climb) in the summer with a mix of freeway and slower driving with A/C. If you can keep it under 65 or 70, you can do much better....

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I plan to take my Bolt from Folsom 72 miles up into the Dinner Pass in the Sierra Mountain range. Can I make it? I will have a passenger, luggage, and A/C on.
Yes. That's a no brainer. If you haven't seen this website yet. You can always double check with https://abetterrouteplanner.com. We did a day trip last year from Yuba City to Truckee and just charged for 30 mins or so at the SaveMart in Truckee then returned home. There are quite a few DC Fast Chargers on the I-80 and Hwy 50 corridors.

Have a great trip and don't worry you'll be fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also, if you don't know about plugshare.com or the plugshare app, it can be set to "filter" stations and find DCFC stations or level 2 stations along your route, some may be free to use. You still have to sign up and get key fobs or use the smart phone applications for EVGO, Chargepoint, and Electrofy America for most of the DCFC locations in your area for the occasion you would need to use a DCFC location. You create an account and link it to a credit card and they charge you accordingly when you use their chargers. It is nice to see all the locations in the one place with the plugshare application. It wouldn't hurt to do this before you actually need to charge at these stations. I am assuming you have a DCFC port like shown on the left side with the orange cover not the blank one on the right shown below.

charge.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All. Thank you so much for your help. I had been looking on Chargepoint and thus missed the fact that there were Evgo chargers in Auburn and Colfax. Plus one 5 minutes from our destination in Donner Pass. The trip turned out just fine, as everyone said. We saved an unnecessary car rental fee and showed off our ride to everyone who would listen at the retreat we attended. I definitely plan to use Plugshare and abetterrouteplanner.com on the way back to Long Beach. Thanks again, everybody!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your welcome. Happy EVing....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lovely ride I am ate up with jealousy
All there is here is a 5 mile ride from one swamp to the next.
Buy they're my swamps
Salutations

1 - 17 of 17 Posts