Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a bump on your left resting foot while turning the steering wheel when pulling out from your house or parking lot? I feel a bump hitting my left resting foot and I also hear a knock sound while turning the streering wheel. The car only has 3000 miles, it shouldn’t be doing this! The sound and feel bump is intermittent and I took it to the Chevy dealership today and it wasn’t happening so the dealership couldn’t find the problem. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
This and frozen windshield wipers for two posts total so far. Maybe ice related? Perfect crime. Evidence melted by time dealer tried troubleshooting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another possibility:

https://tinyurl.com/yc4ty3kz

The guy in the Weber Auto battery disassembly video found a leaking seal on the steering rack of their new Bolt.
Another, 'nother possibility. My Ford Fiesta was clunking (and some do off the lot) due to some grease missing from the steering linkage.

I just used some rust check inhibitor spray from CDN tire, and that quickly cleared it up without taking anything apart.

Maybe not probable for Bolt, but possible... and can't hurt to have a look.

Oh yeah, and as per Sean, my rubber winter floor mat has also slid forward at times and hit the column and made a similar noise...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I believe Sean was right on this one for me. The floor mat was moving forward toward the steering wheel bolt joint and when I was moving the streering wheel it was getting hit and making that knock sound. Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Could be he has a rubber mat over the factory floor mats they will have a tendency to move.

I have a set of rubber floor mats from my chevy Trax on my floors and a rag rug to catch the winter slop from making the rugs old before their time.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Was the floor mat not secured?
I have the Tuxmats which are really great, but they just have a little "dome" over the clip-on points below the driver's feet - that allows them to move around a bit despite how well fitted they are. I need to come up with something to secure them a bit better, but so far I haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought floor mats and placed them on top of factory mats. I think when I enter the car and try to sit, sometimes I have to squeeze in to get into the car because I’m tall at 6’2” and I think as a result it keeps moving the mat forward towards the steering wheel bolt shaft. So now I’m aware of this issue and I try to be careful when I enter the car not to push the mat forward. I used to have a 2005 Nissan Maxima where it had easy entry/exit by lifting the steering wheel out of your way and moving your seat backwards to give you more room to get in and out of the car. This idea should be a standard thing for all cars but it’s not!

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I used to have a 2005 Nissan Maxima where it had easy entry/exit by lifting the steering wheel out of your way and moving your seat backwards to give you more room to get in and out of the car. This idea should be a standard thing for all cars but it’s not!
The Bolt's steering wheel moves as does the seat. Is it that it's not powered that you miss?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The entry/exit feature that I had with my Maxima it would move out of your way and then come back to the position that you originally set it for. So it has memory for the seating, steering wheel and the side mirrors. The Bolt doesn’t have anything like that!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The entry/exit feature that I had with my Maxima it would move out of your way and then come back to the position that you originally set it for. So it has memory for the seating, steering wheel and the side mirrors. The Bolt doesn’t have anything like that!
That does sound amazing. Unfortunately, the Bolt had to cut costs some where. Luxury creature comforts are one of them (powered seats and steering with memory). Amazing how different my old 88 Maxima wagon is to your 2005 Maxima.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have the Tuxmats which are really great, but they just have a little "dome" over the clip-on points below the driver's feet - that allows them to move around a bit despite how well fitted they are. I need to come up with something to secure them a bit better, but so far I haven't gotten around to it.
I have talked with them as I have this issue too. Thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Can a mod move this out of the "How To Lower Energy And Operating Costs" area, please?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Lo and behold the Tuxmats come with a lot of clips which you attach to the sides of the mat and then slip underneath the plastic trim. I didn't notice them in the box when I unpacked the mats. I've loaded the mats up with 3 or 4 clips on each side and I'll see if they keep the mats from sliding.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I believe Sean was right on this one for me. The floor mat was moving forward toward the steering wheel bolt joint and when I was moving the streering wheel it was getting hit and making that knock sound. Thanks everyone for your help!
Yup,
Just got back from Century Chevrolet in Broomfield, CO.
I was experiencing a thump or tap under the driver's side floor, could not figure it out.
Century removed belly pan, re-torqued all cradle, control arm, sway bar, end link bolts, no help.
Finally it was diagnosed to be the aftermarket Weather Tech floor mat interfering with the steering shaft.
*embarrassed*
Larry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts