Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a kick out of marketing materials and the manual for the bolt describing the L mode. This seems to be difficult to explain, but for me (old school type), its just like driving a stick shift... down shifting to slow.... sheesh! :nerd:

·
Registered
62 Posts
except it can slow down to a stop without hitting the brakes . I like using it in my neighborhood or any neighborhood with stop signs . I never have to use the brakes .
But on highways I always use "D". also easy to just hit the shift lever down to switch between D and L .

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I am naive about all this stuff. I use "L" 100% of the time. I rarely touch the brake pedal.
I've just made it a habit to "donk" the shifter down twice to select L. Except in the ice.... One pedal driving in ice is bad news.... well it teaches us which way the crown on the road runs. ha!

·
Registered
228 Posts
The first time I accidentally shifted into L, I thought something was wrong. And I kept wondering how people supposedly never used their brakes. I kind of like using the hand paddle for regenerative braking, but it is very sensitive, and impossible on a curve (with turning steering wheel).
Now that I have discovered (thank you posters) that L is intentional I use it often for city driving. This morning I forgot to shift to D prior to highway entrance and was pleasantly surprised that I could simply change mode with the shifter.
I love using the one-pedal approach to slowing/braking.
I'll have to go find the promotional material to which you reference. And I probably should read my manual too...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I'm getting a kick out of marketing materials and the manual for the bolt describing the L mode. This seems to be difficult to explain, but for me (old school type), its just like driving a stick shift... down shifting to slow.... sheesh! :nerd:
Much of what is in the Bolt necessarily ignored what could have been a clean-sheet EV, but instead is carry-over to ensure the (old school type) prospective buyers can get in and drive it without feeling lost.

Raymond Lowey, the father of industrial design, called it MAYA - Most Advanced Yet Acceptable. Loewy sought to give his users the most advanced design, but not more advanced than what they were able to accept and embrace. Loewy believed, "The adult public's taste is not necessarily ready to accept the logical solutions to their requirements if the solution implies too vast a departure from what they have been conditioned into accepting as the norm."

jack vines

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had the Bolt for just under a month and i always drive in L even on the interstate. Not sure if that is bad EV "form" but i like (even at 75mph) to be able to let off the throttle and decelerate quickly without the brake pedal. L mode is a MUST for city driving though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I kind of like using the hand paddle for regenerative braking, but it is very sensitive, and impossible on a curve (with turning steering wheel).

I think a lot of people don't realize that you're supposed to throttle the regen. paddle with the accelerator pedal, think of it like "L" mode on-demand. Hold the paddle and decrease the amplitude with the accelerator as needed.

I drive in L all the time, except when I drive on the highway because I just don't want to have to keep pressure on the accelerator for an hour straight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Agree with L around town and short highway stints. However, on a extended highway trip with cruise control and L, when you must brake or otherwise come off cruise control, the rapid de-acceleration is a major shock to the senses and should be avoided.
Love this car...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree with L around town and short highway stints. However, on a extended highway trip with cruise control and L, when you must brake or otherwise come off cruise control, the rapid de-acceleration is a major shock to the senses and should be avoided.
Love this car...
Maybe it's just me, but my habit when driving with cruise control is when I know I'm about to kick it off (ie within a mile of an exit ramp), I press on the gas slightly and hit cancel. The car does a bumpless transition from CC to my foot. If I have to brake suddenly and don't have time to kick off the cruise control, I'm probably already on the brakes anyway.
Love the car too!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
..my habit when driving with cruise control is when I know I'm about to kick it off ... I press on the gas slightly and hit cancel.
Exactly. I learned to do this on my van because, even though it doesn't regen like the Bolt does, coming off cruise control at a high speed caused an immediate, noticeable deceleration. With a bit of experience it's easy to know roughly how far to press the accelerator pedal so that you can cancel cruise control with no noticeable speed differential.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Love this car...
If you are at freeway speeds (55 to 75), deceleration is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, and can be easily moderated by feathering the accelerator pedal as necessary. I drive in L on the freeway all the time and it didn’t take that long to get used to the more aggressive regeneration in L, or how to moderate it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think a lot of people don't realize that you're supposed to throttle the regen. paddle with the accelerator pedal, think of it like "L" mode on-demand. Hold the paddle and decrease the amplitude with the accelerator as needed.

I drive in L all the time, except when I drive on the highway because I just don't want to have to keep pressure on the accelerator for an hour straight.
I definitely didn't realize that you could use the paddle that way until someone pointed it out on a different thread. You wouldn't consider it with the mental model of an actual brake because you'd burn something out doing that. It's fun how much you can play with the throttle using L and the paddles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I definitely didn't realize that you could use the paddle that way until someone pointed it out on a different thread. You wouldn't consider it with the mental model of an actual brake because you'd burn something out doing that. It's fun how much you can play with the throttle using L and the paddles.
Agreed. I learned that by reading the owner's manual, but how many people actually read that? Perhaps more for EVs compared to ICE vehicles...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I always use L mode: I never use the paddles. There is an interesting but silly comparison of the Bolt, the Leaf and the high-end Tesla Model 3 in Motor Trend:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2017/the-automobile-2-0-chevrolet-bolt-ev-premier-vs-nissan-leaf-sl-vs-tesla-model-3-long-range/

While comparing a $60,000 car to two $35,000 cars is a joke, they didn't have a choice, as the low-end Tesla hasn't been produced yet. But there is an interesting comparison of their regenerative braking schemes. I guess I should start using the paddles while I'm in 'L' mode.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I leave mine in 'L' all the time. Never had a problem.
The only way I could imagine that it would even be
noticeable on the freeway is if you completely pulled
your foot off the pedal for some reason. There would be some serious
deceleration, but you'd have to be a doofus to do it more than once.
To turn the cruise off, I just put my foot gently on the go pedal and
squeeze the regen paddle. Smooth as butter.
Always using 'L', my car and my brain are always in the same mode. :D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I drive almost exclusively in "L". When I need to slow quickly, I drop off the accelerator pedal *and* hit the left hand paddle. It pretty quickly stops the vehicle on surface streets. "Panic stops" still find me hitting the brakes, out of 40+ years of habit. I was concerned about the brake lights coming on when aggressive regen slows the vehicle down, but have verified that it indeed does, in all cases. The weak regen in the Leaf does not light the brake lights.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oops: I should correct myself. I started playing with the paddles today, and discovered the right paddle is in fact two paddles - they control the radio volume. Only the left paddle affects regen.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts