Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Bolt owner here.

I find myself driving in L Mode everywhere I go. Is it more efficient to drive L on the freeway or on D and cruise when you let off the pedal?

Minor complaints...
No lock on the glove box.
No overheard storage for my sunglasses.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
New Bolt owner here.

I find myself driving in L Mode everywhere I go. Is it more efficient to drive L on the freeway or on D and cruise when you let off the pedal?

Minor complaints...
No lock on the glove box.
No overheard storage for my sunglasses.
I don't know if it's any more efficient, but, I drive in L mode all the time, PERIOD :nerd:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is it more efficient to drive L on the freeway or on D and cruise when you let off the pedal?
Driving in L should have no impact on freeway driving unless you actually hit the brakes hard enough to use the friction pads.
If you really want optimal freeway efficiency, just use the cruise control and take your foot off the pedal entirely.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also always drive in L all the time, highway and slow back roads. Once the learning curve is complete it is a shock to drive without it as was demonstrated yesterday. I had to drive my seldom used ICE car and was shaken a bit on trying to stop at the first intersection. Had to use the foot brake rather quickly. L makes driving more fun and in my opinion more safe. I've read that it puts more electricity in the battery than two pedal driving which, if true, makes it more efficient.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Only time I turn the L mode off is right before I turn off the cruise control. Avoids a sudden slow down if you just want it off and not to slow down. I do this right before I get to town. Tapping the brakes to turn off the cruise control in L mode is a little jarring when you're not expecting the car to suddenly slow down. In theory I could speed up a little before turning off the cruise control so the car doesn't want to regenerate immediately. Still trying to master all aspects of driving in L mode. Do find it very intuitive to just quickly tap the shifter back.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
There are many times when using cruise control (CC) that I need to slow down faster than "setting to a new speed" accomplishes. I pull the regen paddle and CC is off. I let go of the paddle. If in "L", that continued slowdown is f-a-s-t. When I don't need to slow down for traffic, CC keeps me within 1-2 (usually 1) mph of the set speed. Therefore, the "L" setting is not being put to use. Final answer: I use "D" when using CC and "L" much (but not ALL) of the time I am off the Interstate.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I run in L mode all the time. When I turn the cruise off, I use the cancel button and match
the speed with the accelerator pedal. I do the same thing with the regen paddle too, but not
as much as using the CC cancel button. I find it easy to match the speed or just a few MPH under.

I also like the fact that the CC is always on after shutting the car off and getting back
in to drive. I never need to turn it back on like my truck. It's a PITA turning it on everytime
I drive my truck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I always drive in L.

I love how it impacts driving on canyon roads. Just the right amount of deceleration into the curve and then I can properly accelerate out of the curve!

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I was a bit skeptical of whether I'd like "L" mode or not until I started to use it. But I've found it to be a very natural and effective way to drive, and now when I drive a different car it annoys me to have to move my foot from one pedal to the other. But if I have to come to a full stop and remain there for more than an instant then I still apply the brake pedal once I've stopped moving.

I knew that the brake lights wouldn't be on while stopped (until you put your foot on the brake pedal), but I wasn't sure how long before then they would go out. Watching the rear at night while coming to a complete stop in "L" mode showed me that the brake lights come on and remain on until you're almost completely stopped - so there's no worries there.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Watching the rear at night while coming to a complete stop in "L" mode showed me that the brake lights come on and remain on until you're almost completely stopped - so there's no worries there.
I used a night driving session to notice how the brake light worked also. Like you, I put my foot on the pedal when completely stopped to activate the brake lights. A little paranoid to sit there without the brake lights on. Could get rear ended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.