Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm taking on a bit of a data gathering adventure tomorrow - driving my Bolt from the Bay Area (Los Altos) down to Los Angeles.

Now I know others have done this, and based on their helpful blogs and posts, I am planning to take 101 on the way down, armed with a properly configured PlugShare App and both ChargePoint and EVGo cards. I'm staying overnight at a hotel in LA that has promised me an overnight charge, and then I plan to help my son with some packing and the two of us will drive back on Saturday (yeah, I know, more weight!)

Here is where I could use your net.wisdom ... I just got myself an OBD2 bluetooth module and installed TorquePro and figure I can log all sorts of good info while I am at it ... but the TorquePro interface is a bit cumbersome for a non-mechanic like me, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what data points to log.

Any suggestions on how you would go about it? I'm happy to take any suggestions.

I plan to do it relatively slowly on the way down 101 tomorrow (Friday) and see how much I can stretch things (although not as far as the 327 mile record that the dutch guy holds). The trip back on Saturday will probably be much closer to normal driving with a couple of stops for charging ... My son has made it clear that he expects to be able to use the A/C :)

So, what TorquePro data points would you log on this trip?

Assuming anything interesting shows up in the data, I'll share it here.

TIA for any advice/suggestions.

-Vijay

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd like to know what the KW usage is while cruising…I saw like 16-18 kw for 65 on 101 south

also I'd like to hear what what volts/amps for fast charging you see - and what the car reports for KW while fast charging (meter on the right side of dash for enhanced layout) - I saw 42,000 watts in Watsonville EVgo charger - and it didn't go lower than 42,000 until the car hit 80% charge…

enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I made it there and back, and gathered tons of data ... I'll try and put it all together this week.

@david, I charged only twice (30 mins at a ChargePoint "fast" charger on Paso Robles and 15 minutes on a faster EVGo charger) on the way there and once (EVGo Fast Charge) on the way back, and to cut a long story short, the limiting factor was always the charger - $20KW/Hr on the crummy ChargePoint "fast charge" in Paso Robles and a bit above 40KW/Hr on the much nicer 50KW rated EV-Go chargers elsewhere.

TL;DR - I was astonished at how much difference my speed made to the efficiency. I hit horrific traffic on the way South, which immensely helped my range! From LA to the Bay Area on just one charge (which is what I did on the way back up) is quite do-able as long as you are not in a hurry. I even ran the A/C for a good chunk of the way through the 100 degree day in the Central Valley!

More data and analysis to follow, for those who are interested.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
TL;DR - I was astonished at how much difference my speed made to the efficiency. .
Yep; above 65 mph you can notice the green ring around your speed readout goes yellow, and that's where bigger kWh's are needed to push the air out of the Bolt's path.

At stable 60 mph on a relatively flat road, with AC off I have seen today 5.8 mi/kWh. Brought it up to 65-70 mph on the way back - 4.4 mi/kWh. Hypermiling is fun.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I charged only twice (30 mins at a ChargePoint "fast" charger on Paso Robles and 15 minutes on a faster EVGo charger) on the way there and once (EVGo Fast Charge) on the way back,
how much were each of the charges, and how many miles did each add?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
the limiting factor was always the charger - $20KW/Hr on the crummy ChargePoint "fast charge" in Paso Robles and a bit above 40KW/Hr on the much nicer 50KW rated EV-Go chargers elsewhere.
Is this a problem with all ChargePoint fast chargers or just that one was oddly crummy compared to EV-Go chargers?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts