Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped down good an early today and had a chance to really give the Bolt a good once over. I was pleased with what I saw and I even had a chance to give the car a quick test drive!! Coming from a Gen1 Volt I knew what to expect as far as how an EV drives but I was really impressed with the acceleration in sport. We had 4 people in the car and it was still quicker than my Volt. The regen was impressive in around town traffic and I only used the brake to put the car in park when the test drive was over!! Something I didn't know but learned was that the brake light doesn't come on when you let your foot of the gas, sorry, throttle(LOL), but it will come on when you use the regen paddle on the steering wheel. So if you are coming up to a stop light it is wise to use the paddle even if you don't need to just to show the brake lights.

I found the front seats in the Bolt okay. I didn't find them as uncomfortable as some have. Granted I sat in the Gen2 Volt and the seats are much more comfortable in the Volt but it is more of a luxury layout in the Volt. The Bolt has much more of an economy car feel. Not a bad thing, just different. I had been avoiding the Gen2 Volt because I wanted to wait until the Bolt came out before I looked at a new car but I must say I like the Gen2 interior even more than my Gen1 Volt and I really liked the Gen1. I'm going to go for the dark interior on the Bolt. The light interior was on both of the Bolts on the floor and they were both getting bad soiling on the white and light grey leather already. It is a mucky time of the year but it shouldn't get that dirty that fast!

The back seat had tonnes of room for two tall adults. The best legroom of any small car I have ever been in! Visibility is great in the car too. I won't miss that A pillar on the Gen1 Volt! And the video rear view mirror was cool! I found it easy to use and didn't find it hard to refocus on the display. I am blessed with good vision though so maybe if you had bad vision it might be an issue. Not for me though, I like it! The Infotainment was straight forward and intuitive for me. I liked the layout and will enjoy getting it set up just the way I like it!

The Autoshow was good this year and the crowds were HUGE but it is also a Holiday today to so I guess that is to be expected. There was a real good showing if EV's from other companies but I was there for the Bolt. With the Bolt on the road all the others are just playing catch up to what Chevrolet is producing!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It turns out I may have been given some bad info on how the brake lights display. It turns out that they will light under regen even without the use of the paddle. I was misinformed! Sorry.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I went there too and got to test drive one ! Totally agree with what your saying though, I didn't find the seats uncomfortable either. I was having a conversation with the guy that took me out for the test drive and he says he's good with them as well. I had it in sport mode and flat footed it at 30km/h and chirped the wheels!

Crowds were huge though, they were saying that they were hitting record numbers!

If you go in from the parking garage area, it's literally as soon as you walk in to the left.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the registration is on the street level of the Front St. Entrance to your right as you come in from the street at the back by the valet entrance. It's sorta hidden but I only waited about 5 minutes for the Bolt. I guess I got lucky! The crowds were the biggest I've ever seen. I bet they break records this year!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guy said " okay floor it, but only for 2seconds" so I booted it and in a real slow voice I said "one Mississippi..." He was like " okay enough!" I laughed and let off. LoL

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Lol! Nice haha! My guy wasn't too much of a stickler. He was like listen. If you really want to buy one, feel it out. So I was tossing the steering wheel side to side going in a straight line so see what the response was like, doing random brake checks (obviously with no one behind me), flat footing it for a few seconds, etc. Really got to feel it out and I was actually very very surprised!

·
Registered
735 Posts
What might help with giving the seat feedback you did is mentioning your height and weight, just so others here have something to compare to. Since if you're a bigger person it puts that much more confidence into someone else that's about your size.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm mid height and stocky 5'6" 280lbs. It is a narrower/thinner seat than what's in the Volt but I didn't find it stuck in my legs like I've heard some discribe. It is firmmer and more upright than the Volt but I must say the gen2 Volt is a much more plush interior and reclined layout. It's not really fair to compare the Bolt to the Volt because they are two very different style cars. I'll be quite happy with the Bolt I'm sure.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Test drove a Bolt Premier with 1100 kms on it. Showing 249 km expected range +65 km on the trip meter = total current expected range of 314 km (195 miles). Sponsor rep said he had brought it to the show by highway driving and that the various testers at the show liked to boot it. Explains why current range of 314 was on low side despite the spring-ish temperatures in the region lately.

Ride: Exactly what I want: feels planted & firm while maintaining a euro-ish compliant luxo feel to it. (owning a bugeye sprite in my early years established my standard quite low)

Regen: Only a couple of opportunities on the 1.4-km (1 mile) demo loop in city traffic, to get up to as much as 50-60 km/hr. But was able to use full regen in L with paddle-on. It might be my imagination but I thought I felt a little pulsing when I squeezed the paddle. The 0.3g deceleration felt reasonable. I could easily get accustomed to a little more. I didn’t notice whether the passengers were thrown forward but they didn’t say anything.

The sponsor-riders didn’t know what happens if you attempt to engage electric parking brake with vehicle underway. I didn’t try it. I should have also asked what happens when you’re underway and you attempt to shift from D to L with accelerator pedal held constant, and alternatively with accelerator pedal released. It’ll be interesting to see how one’s driving habits develop for highway driving in variably-congested 90-120 kph speed ranges.

Interior of vehicle seems spartan but appealing at the same time. Not a problem since there’s so much else to concentrate on when operating the vehicle. Noticed a bit of rear side bolster driver seat pressure. Not uncomfortable, just there. I’m 5’10” around 160 lbs. As if there’s a seat-frame half ring around the bottom rear end of the seat. Have to see whether that becomes an issue on longer rides.

Overall the test confirmed I’m glad I’ve got a Bolt on order.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What might help with giving the seat feedback you did is mentioning your height and weight, just so others here have something to compare to. Since if you're a bigger person it puts that much more confidence into someone else that's about your size.
I'm mid height and stocky 5'6" 280lbs. It is a narrower/thinner seat than what's in the Volt but I didn't find it stuck in my legs like I've heard some discribe. It is firmmer and more upright than the Volt but I must say the gen2 Volt is a much more plush interior and reclined layout. It's not really fair to compare the Bolt to the Volt because they are two very different style cars. I'll be quite happy with the Bolt I'm sure.
I'm quite small to be honest.. I'm 5'4" at about 115lbs. Quite tiny now that I'm looking at it in numbers typed out hahaha! I've never actually sat in the Volt gen1 or 2 so I can't give any remarks on that. I do agree that it is firm and quite upright though, but that's what I like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts