Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Pioneer DSP DEQ-S1000A together with a 4ch-Pioneer amp (GM-D1004). I also replaced the speakers with FOCAL PS130V Performance and FOCAL PC130 Performance coax + an Audison PRIMA APS 10 D 10" Subwoofer.

I started to replace the loudspeakers, but very soon discovered that the head unit colors the sound and more Watt was needed.

However, with the Bolt’s head unit, I’ve to connect the DSP to the head unit’s speaker cables, front or rear speakers. If I connect to the rear, I lose the audio signal from the turn signal, anti-collision signal, seat belt and parking-assistance sensors. Those audio signals are sent from the head unit to the front speakers only!

But if I connect to the front speaker cables, I lose the audio signal from the rear parking assistance sensors, this signal is sent from the head unit to the rear speakers only.

What to do? Connect to both the rear and front speaker cables, together? I guess I’ll face some distortion and serious phase-problems and some other issues?!

Maybe possible to mix the incoming signals to the head unit so everything is sent out to both front and rear speakers, but how and where?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Following the thread, thanks for posting. I actually bought a combined DSP/amp (Kicker Key) but have yet to install. Good thing I haven’t, I wasn’t aware of these issues. But my plan was to tap into the wiring close to the head unit harness, which is fairly accessible behind the glove compartment.

Hopefully those who’ve successfully installed amps and/or DSPs without any adverse to the Bolt’s functionality can chime in.

Great choice on the speakers by the way. Focal is great, just a little bit beyond my price point at the time I purchased my set.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just re-read your post on a desktop and I think I understand your quandary better now. Your DSP only allows for 2CH speaker-level input, that's why you have that issue of which set to tap in to. Understandably, the speaker lines that get "left out" would lose functionality. Is it too late to return your DSP and swap it out for one that allows for 4CH speaker-level input?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Looks like You will need a 2nd unit or like MDBolt suggested return it for another brand like Rockford Fosgate or Audison.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry MDBolt, yes, I should have stated more clearly that the Pioneer DSP only has 2CH-input!

It's just that I can't stop thinking, there might be two cables from the parking-sensor instrument, into the head-unit. One cable for the parking-sensor-signal to the rear speakers and one cable for the other signals to the front-speakers. Perhaps it’s possible just combine these two cables into one (playing the audio-signals both in the front and rear speakers at the same time, but that doesn’t matter)? But it might be that everything is done within the car's OS, if so, there is nothing more to do...

I’ve googled the head unit wiring diagram, with no results…

Yes, it's too late to send the DSP back, but at the end, it might be the only solution. I've seen the Audison DSP bit NOVE, seems to solve the problem but expensive, might be that the Helix DSP mini or the even cheaper Helix Match DSP could be OK?

By the way, just installed the Audison sub now, and it was a revelation, I was afraid for a booming bass, but so far, it’s rather dry and dynamic. Blends in perfectly with the precise and somewhat dry sound from the Focals in front and rear. For those thinking about upgrading the speakers in the Bolt, be aware that the head unit is boosted in the mid, and high-frequencies - with new speakers, it might result in a bit nasal/in the box sound, if you understand what I mean… A simple DSP is recommended, and should be easy to fit in, but don’t use a 4CH one!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hmm... If it’s too late to send it back, @davioh2001 posted a possible fix in purchasing an identical DSP to the one you have. That way you can wire the fronts to one and the rears to the other. Then put everything together in your amp.

Out of curiosity, where did you mount your sub?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I believe that might be a solution. I'll investigate further if there are the mentioned signal-cables, I cross my fingers...

Here are some photos from the sub, pictures say more than words, but I'm happy to answer any question!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadly, no... I’ve contacted the dealer and explained the situation. He said he will look into it. After all, I did explain type of car when buying the equipment, and the Pioneer 2CH was his suggestion! I expect to see an email from him this week, I guess the solution will be to get a Helix Match DSP mini.

That said, I’m really happy with the Pioneer DSP, and can recommend it for other users. It’s very simple to set up, and the sound is outstanding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts