Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Details

EA today rolled out /kWh pricing, dropped $1 session fees in the 23 states that permit kWh pricing. They are actively lobbying the remaining states to permit kWh pricing as well.

IMG_2765.jpeg
IMG_2766.jpeg

·
Registered
102 Posts
So my last charge was 32 minutes and provided 27 kWh. Cost me $4.80, 18 cents per kWh.

Now that same charge would cost me $8.37. Fantastic, I think it might actually be cheaper to take the ICE on our next road trip now.

EDIT: Oh, upon reading more of the article I see that in per-minute locations they have lowered the member price to 12 cents per minute for < 90kW rates. So in fact that same charge in a state that requires per-minute charging would now cost $3.84. So it literally costs more than double now to get a charge per-kWh versus per-minute.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So my last charge was 32 minutes and provided 27 kWh. Cost me $4.80, 18 cents per kWh.

Now that same charge would cost me $8.37. Fantastic, I think it might actually be cheaper to take the ICE on our next road trip now.
I would venture to guess initial pricing was an inducement to get customers familiar with and build loyalty. As they learned the real cost of delivering service, they had to adjust pricing. Charging /min pricing would be hard to bury a price increase, but switching, not as apparent. At least it is not as intrusive as what Ionity did in EU.

For those who charged to 80% or greater, or those who charge in colder climates with slower charge speeds, it may be a bit less costly on /kWh. Perhaps the new pricing will have the unintended consequence of encouraging charging to higher SOC. I kind of expected a mix of /kWh and /min pricing to be the norm going forward. We have a lot of ChargePoint L3 chargers in CO, they all use both. The combo of units encourages minimizing time "at the pump", but recognizes the amount of energy consumed.

In CO, utility rates at home are generally .08 - .125 or so, so EA is clearly charging a premium. Now, I understand demand charges drive their cost of energy through the roof, but suspect regulators will eventually step in and regulate pricing. Or, maybe as more networks adopt /kWh pricing, competition will force them to make adjustments.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Details

EA today rolled out /kWh pricing, dropped $1 session fees in the 23 states that permit kWh pricing. They are actively lobbying the remaining states to permit kWh pricing as well.
Interesting. $0.31/kWh is more or less in line with Tesla's SuperCharger ($0.28/kWh IIRC).

For the Bolt at <55% SoC, that's a lot more expensive than it used to be (~$0.20/kWh if you get the max. 55kW charging speed). But above 55%, you're getting at most 37kW, or $0.29/kWh and it only gets worse from there. Temperature can also limit the Bolt.

But they also add this:
However, the charging network is also updating its per-minute pricing with now just two power levels for electric cars chariging up to 90 kW ($0.16 per minute without subscription and $0.12 per minute with subscription) and EVs charging up to 350 kW ($0.32 per minute without subscription and $0.24 per minute with subscription)
This is great news for folks paying per minute, especially the Hyundais that were previously being charged in the higher tier rate.

Less great news for me, since I try hard to avoid charging above 68%. Oh well...

·
Registered
110 Posts
and to top it off EA Chargers may or may not work when you get there!

I only need EA to get from Phoenix to Minneapolis ...I need to cancel the membership but they won't let you do it via app? Guess I call

·
Registered
253 Posts
What I don't like is that the app won't let you turn off auto top-up. I'd like to use my $5 down to 0. Stop delivering power then. flo lets you go into the hole to at least a small amount. I haven't tested its limits. They get it back when you top-up to do another charge.
But I do prefer paying for the widget rather than the time connected getting the widget.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I don't like is that the app won't let you turn off auto top-up. I'd like to use my $5 down to 0. Stop delivering power then. flo lets you go into the hole to at least a small amount. I haven't tested its limits. They get it back when you top-up to do another charge.
But I do prefer paying for the widget rather than the time connected getting the widget.
Agreed, this whole reload policy is a nightmare.

I only use public charging when traveling, with COVID, that is less often than normal.

I currently carry a $22.68 credit on EA, and $10.33 on CP (recently used $2.28). The CP credit goes back about 2 years, the EA dates back to February. Both have had free use of my money for a long time, and will continue doing so for at least one more year.

I get that they pay transaction fees, but for DC charging, most sessions will amount to $5-10 or more. Certainly, they can absorb transaction fees (or build them into pricing structures) like most merchants do. Or, maybe bill monthly, weekly, or daily to reduce the number of transactions and accumulate multiple charges along the way. I wold be ok with paying slightly more at the pump than having to carry credits like this.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I have a few thoughts on this. The pressure to transition to per kWh pricing was primarily coming from people who weren't really using the Electrify America network in the first place (e.g., Tesla owners and media sites), and those individuals and sites weren't acknowledging some of the strengths of per minute pricing. First, per minute pricing reduces squatting, which reduces the number of chargers required per site. Second, owners of EVs with active thermal management and cabin conditioning designed to draw excess power from the chargers actually save money when conditioning their vehicles before ending the session.

Chevy Bolt EV owners are hurt by this change more than they are helped, and Bolt EV owners represent a far larger population of EV travelers than any other non-Tesla EV owners in the United States. EA might think they're gaining a customer base by doing this, but they might actually lose more existing customers than the customers they gain as a result of switching to per kWh.

Now, long term, this model might be a beneficial as we see more EV owners using the Electrify America network and charging at 150 kW and 350 kW speeds, but the model could still use some work in the meantime. From the outset, I would recommend two changes:

1): Reduce the per kWh price by $0.05 for both members and nonmembers. Essentially, $0.26 per kWh for members and $0.38 per kWh for nonmembers.

2): Introduce a $0.10 per minute "parking fee" after 30 minutes. This will more than likely result in a similar revenue to what EA would see with their current, more expensive per kWh model, and it would discourage the squatting that we are likely to see as a result of charging per kWh (e.g., EV owners occupying a high-speed charger for an hour or more).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know (or knew...haven't been there in a while...and when I was there last I didn't spend an hour) of one charger in my sphere that simply shuts off at 1 hour. Yes, someone could still stay connected.
What is the social-norm etiquette for the next guy for a charger when it's done and off and the car is still connected, by the way?

EA (or EC here) also have a penalty for over-staying your welcome. But the rich folks won't care about spending a few extra dollars for their self-perceived entitlement.

For me it's the principle of buying a product. Time is not a product. You're just paying rent then. Like parking. Time is a problem for our taper-down pattern of charging.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The problem with EA is not charging by the kWh, it is the high price of that kWh. They are just replacing a bad policy of charging by time to charging by energy unit at an exorbitant price. They are also charging .40 a minute squatting time after a ten minute grace period so I don't understand the arguments about people staying hooked up in the per kWh scheme. I haven't done the the calculations but it is still probably cheaper than a 25mpg ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't understand the arguments about people staying hooked up in the per kWh scheme.
Simply, if there is no penalty for charging to 90% at a 20kW rate, because you are only paying for kWh used, then more drivers might be inclined to charge to higher SOC. With time based rates, you get less power for your money the longer you stay hooked up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Second, owners of EVs with active thermal management and cabin conditioning designed to draw excess power from the chargers actually save money when conditioning their vehicles before ending the session.
Oh yeah, this is going to be a big surprise to some people I think. People who support this because of the slower charging in the winter are going to be surprised just how much power is going in to conditioning that they will never see but will be paying for.

I'm not against paying by kWh, but a hybrid system like Eric suggests makes far more sense. Regardless of the opinion of what constitutes a "product", you are parking in a space which prevents others from accessing this product. As such there is value in time spent there.

I haven't done the the calculations but it is still probably cheaper than a 25mpg ICE vehicle.
Well, if we just call the Bolt highway average to be 3.1 mpk then it costs 10 cents per mile. National gas average is about $2.00 a gallon so you would have to be driving something that gets less than 20 mpg to equal the same price. And for anybody about to argue that they get better mileage in their Bolt, don't forget the extra kWh's you're paying for to condition the battery as it charges.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I know (or knew...haven't been there in a while...and when I was there last I didn't spend an hour) of one charger in my sphere that simply shuts off at 1 hour. Yes, someone could still stay connected.
What is the social-norm etiquette for the next guy for a charger when it's done and off and the car is still connected, by the way?

EA (or EC here) also have a penalty for over-staying your welcome. But the rich folks won't care about spending a few extra dollars for their self-perceived entitlement.

For me it's the principle of buying a product. Time is not a product. You're just paying rent then. Like parking. Time is a problem for our taper-down pattern of charging.
Shutting the charger off completely after a predetermined time is unnecessarily punitive, in my opinion. Sometimes you simply need the range. Sometimes it makes sense for the stop to go long (adding $3.00 to $4.50 to the cost of a one-hour, sit-down meal isn't a big deal, but being shut off halfway through is). We saw this with EVgo when the Bolt EV was first released. All the small-battery EV owners were saying, "What's the big deal with a 30-minute shutoff? Your car should be at 80% battery already." It turns out, that doesn't work when a majority of the chargers are 40 kW to 50 kW and the EV can travel over 200 miles on a charge.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The problem with EA is not charging by the kWh, it is the high price of that kWh. They are just replacing a bad policy of charging by time to charging by energy unit at an exorbitant price. They are also charging .40 a minute squatting time after a ten minute grace period so I don't understand the arguments about people staying hooked up in the per kWh scheme. I haven't done the the calculations but it is still probably cheaper than a 25mpg ICE vehicle.
The $0.40 per minute idle fee is after the session has ended. If your car is still pulling 1 kW, the session is active, so no idle fee is being assessed.

As for the high price per kWh, $0.31 per kWh isn't unreasonable. It's still cheaper than many ChargePoint sites, and it's cheaper than EVgo's 100 A chargers (at $0.26 per minute for members, that's still nearly $0.43 per kWh).

For comparison with ICE, it really depends where you are. The Bolt EV would still be cheaper in California than a most ICE (maybe comparable to a Prius), but outside California, it might be on par with a ~30 mph ICE.

·
Registered
253 Posts
One utility in my area (BC CAN) charges $0.35 / kwh. Residential home from the same utility is around $0.10. The other utility charges $18 / hour.
But with the taper-down, on the former, you aren't being penalized for how long you stay there. And that you're still buying the product. Just loading in slower.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
23 Posts
I had a feeling during my 2400 mile Labor Day trip that while kWh pricing may be more "Fair", it might end up being a "be careful what you wish for" situation.

I ran the numbers for my recent big trip (just the EA stations), and this is what I found. Mine was a net win, but others in different states may not fare so well.

This does not include the old "session fee" (because I was a $4/mo member), nor does it include the 4 bucks for the "better" rates on the new structure.

EA Pricing Comparison: New Pricing announced 9/16/2020
StateCityCCS Charger
(plug #)
NotesCostL3 Dur hh:mmL3 kWh AddedEffective $/kWhBilled rate Per MinNew kWh rate Sep 2020Total $ for Charge old ratesTotal $ for Charge new rates
ILMt Vernon ILEA100507-03 (1)Walmart 224$6.040:3323.00$0.26$0.18$0.31$6.04$7.13
ILBloomington ILEA100200-03 (1)Walmart 3459$11.001:0145.00$0.24$0.18$0.31$11.00$13.95
INIndianapolis INEA100222-05 (1)Walmart 5443$5.750:3521.00$0.27$0.16$0.12$5.75$2.52
KYPaducah KYEA100206-02 (2)Walmart 491$6.120:3826.00$0.24$0.16$0.12$6.12$3.12
MOBooneville MOEA100189-04 (2)Walmart 820$10.751:1147.00$0.23$0.15$0.31$10.75$14.57
MOSt Charles MOEA100190-01 (1)Walmart 1161$6.550:4327.00$0.24$0.15$0.31$6.55$8.37
TNClarksville TNEA100607-02 (1)Walmart 673$11.421:0928.00$0.41$0.17$0.12$11.42$3.36
TNCookeville TNEA100220-02 (1)Sam's Club 4930$7.780:4733.00$0.24$0.17$0.12$7.78$3.96
VABristol VAEA100633-01 (2)Sam's Club 6518$8.970:5945.00$0.20$0.15$0.12$8.97$5.40
VAWytheville VAEA100257-03 (1)Sheetz 407$4.370:2612.00$0.36$0.17$0.12$4.37$1.44
$78.75$63.82

·
Registered
417 Posts
For comparison with ICE, it really depends where you are. The Bolt EV would still be cheaper in California than a most ICE (maybe comparable to a Prius), but outside California, it might be on par with a ~30 mpg ICE.
In California it's still less than a 40 mpg ICE.

$3.23/gallon (average for regular) = 10.4kWh (at $0.31/kWh) = ~38 miles counting charging inefficiencies.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ran the numbers for my recent big trip
I think you did the math wrong for states without kWh rates and calculated the 12 cent per-minute rate as 12 cents per kWh. For instance, in KY your 38 minute charge would be $4.56, not $3.12.

$3.23/gallon (average for regular)
And this is why I really hope they work on getting regional rates back out. Gas here is hovering around the $1.80 mark, taking a Silverado on a trip would cost as much as a Bolt at those gas prices. Yeah, leaving the house with a full battery and destination charging will cause it to actually cost far less, but this is still a massive and sudden price jump.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
23 Posts
I think you did the math wrong for states without kWh rates and calculated the 12 cent per-minute rate as 12 cents per kWh. For instance, in KY your 38 minute charge would be $4.56, not $3.12.
Thank you, I was distracted at work throwing this together quick, so I will double check the spreadsheet and report back later tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
23 Posts
Thank you, I was distracted at work throwing this together quick, so I will double check the spreadsheet and report back later tonight or tomorrow.
You're right, KY is still one of the per minute states not per kWh. I will adjust the sheet and repost. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts