Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to love my first EV, we realized after deciding to buy that it was an oh so appropriate purchase for Earth Day. Not that we are tree-huggers, but pretty cool. Almost 200 miles in 2 days of unusual expected use, using provided 120V charger.

Only current concern is finding an app for locating nearby or on route charging stations. My-Chevrolet app says it will, but I can't find it in the app. Also trying ChargePoint app, which seems to have fairly good reviews, and shows locals, but haven't verified them yet. Any suggestions?

Will be investigating home charging units in the next week or so. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
If you use CarPlay, the Maps app has a dedicated icon for finding charging stations...

In the myChevrolet app, you have to select "Vehicle Status" first from the main menu, and then under that sub menu it lists estimated range at the top. Right under the range you should see an option for "Find Charging Station".

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
If you use CarPlay, the Maps app has a dedicated icon for finding charging stations...

In the myChevrolet app, you have to select "Vehicle Status" first from the main menu, and then under that sub menu it lists estimated range at the top. Right under the range you should see an option for "Find Charging Station".
I have the MyChevrolet app on my iPhone 6 and I can't find that option anywhere. Is that just in the car using CarPlay that it shows you charging stations? None of the apps I have are all that good at finding all the charging stations. I discovered a new charging station that is the closest one to my house and it doesn't show up an any app. It's a ChargePoint station and it doesn't even show up on ChargePoint's app!! :confused: It is brand new, but how long does it take these apps to update?

The behavior of EV drivers sometimes baffles me. At this new charging station I found, there are only two EV only parking spaces and only two power cords. It's located at a brand new Tractor Supply Co. store and has ample parking beyond it's customer needs, so plenty of parking everywhere.

When I showed up, there was a Volt parked in one of the EV spots, but he was not plugged in and he didn't charge. It's also about as far away from the front door of the store as you can get. Do people think that because a parking space is marked "EV" you have to park there if you have a plug in car?? Why block a charging station if you don't have to??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do people think that because a parking space is marked "EV" you have to park there if you have a plug in car?? Why block a charging station if you don't have to??
I'm reminded of the joke where a guy walks up to the water cooler at the office on Monday morning. He is all cut and bruised. His co-workers ask him what happened. He says, "I got into a fight at the supermarket yesterday. Some guy in a wheelchair parked in a regular spot. It really ticked me off."

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I have the MyChevrolet app on my iPhone 6 and I can't find that option anywhere. Is that just in the car using CarPlay that it shows you charging stations? None of the apps I have are all that good at finding all the charging stations. I discovered a new charging station that is the closest one to my house and it doesn't show up an any app. It's a ChargePoint station and it doesn't even show up on ChargePoint's app!! :confused: It is brand new, but how long does it take these apps to update?

The behavior of EV drivers sometimes baffles me. At this new charging station I found, there are only two EV only parking spaces and only two power cords. It's located at a brand new Tractor Supply Co. store and has ample parking beyond it's customer needs, so plenty of parking everywhere.

When I showed up, there was a Volt parked in one of the EV spots, but he was not plugged in and he didn't charge. It's also about as far away from the front door of the store as you can get. Do people think that because a parking space is marked "EV" you have to park there if you have a plug in car?? Why block a charging station if you don't have to??
CarPlay and the myChevrolet app are two different issues we're talking about here.

Regarding CarPlay: when you have CarPlay up and running on the screen, and you have the Maps app running, when you hit the screen and select destinations, one of the icons listed is for that of charging stations. Should be the first or second icon listed.

Here's the screens for finding a charging stations in the myChevrolet app:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Only current concern is finding an app for locating nearby or on route charging stations. My-Chevrolet app says it will, but I can't find it in the app. Also trying ChargePoint app, which seems to have fairly good reviews, and shows locals, but haven't verified them yet. Any suggestions?

Will be investigating home charging units in the next week or so. Suggestions?
Congratulations on buying the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV. You should try all the EV charge station applications and find every EVSE near you. As you can read in my signature, I have a home installed Level 2 EVSE posted in PlugShare.com, yet I have no EV. Visit that website and locate all the registered EVSE stations, even the private ones. Then call and ask if you can charge your Bolt EV there. You will find that EV owners are very courteous and curious about any EV brand, especially for this new BEV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts