Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/b...et-bolt-monthly-update-for-february-2018.html

Their Bolt (acquired ~Jan 2017) died on the road with 60-something miles left on the GOM. Likely the dreaded low voltage battery cell issue that plagued a small number of early build Bolts. Sort of concerning that if their Bolt was one of the VINs affected, they never received notice of it. Guess we'll have to wait for their full report to find out what exactly happened.
FWIW, I have a Nov '16 build Bolt and have put 17.5k problem free miles on it.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Yeah, that sucks. I have my fingers and toes crossed that it never happens to me. Even more that it never happens to my wife. If she was left stranded, I might burn it to the ground in front of GM headquarters.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
This is why it has a warranty.
Doesn't matter. Just don't leave my dear wife stranded. There is no excuse for this. The battery still has plenty of juice to get the car off the road, and home for that matter. They need to work on the computer programming. Messages are fine, but stopping the car dead is totally irresponsible. Reversing the current through the low cell will destroy it eventually. I don't care. If they can't do better QC, they need to design the circuit to bypass a bad cell.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Doesn't matter. Just don't leave my dear wife stranded. There is no excuse for this. The battery still has plenty of juice to get the car off the road, and home for that matter. They need to work on the computer programming. Messages are fine, but stopping the car dead is totally irresponsible. Reversing the current through the low cell will destroy it eventually. I don't care. If they can't do better QC, they need to design the circuit to bypass a bad cell.
The problem was already identified early on and corrected. Vehicles break down, it happens.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
The problem was already identified early on and corrected. Vehicles break down, it happens.
No. The problem was identified early on, and owners were told, " Some of you have defective batteries. As they fail, we will replace them." This is not a recall. It is quite possible that somebody will stall on a busy interstate, and be involved in a deadly accident. It is quite possible that a woman will find herself stalled, on a dark road, in the middle of nowhere. Many of you are apparently just fine with huge corporations looking for the next profit center, and putting human lives at risk in the process (Yes, I'm talking about AV too).

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
It is quite possible that somebody will stall on a busy interstate, and be involved in a deadly accident.
If you're genuinely worried about this then the proactive thing to do would be to run the battery down to almost zero under controlled conditions to see if the problem manifests itself. If it fails, you can get the battery replaced. If it doesn't, then it will give you at least a bit more confidence in the car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
No. The problem was identified early on, and owners were told, " Some of you have defective batteries. As they fail, we will replace them." This is not a recall. It is quite possible that somebody will stall on a busy interstate, and be involved in a deadly accident. It is quite possible that a woman will find herself stalled, on a dark road, in the middle of nowhere. Many of you are apparently just fine with huge corporations looking for the next profit center, and putting human lives at risk in the process (Yes, I'm talking about AV too).
I am doing no such thing. I am merely recognizing that vehicles, new or used, break down and there's nothing you can do to change this. That's why vehicles have warranties. That's why car companies offer roadside assistance like OnStar. That's why companies, including insurance companies, offer road side assistance.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Yeah. We have run it down several times to 10-15%, in the normal course of driving. I had hoped that meant we didn't have any defective cells. But obviously, that is not the case. Surely, these guys had run their Bolt below 60 miles before, and it didn't show up. This is one of several early Bolts now that had over 10K miles on it before the deterioration was bad enough show up.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I am doing no such thing. I am merely recognizing that vehicles, new or used, break down and there's nothing you can do to change this. That's why vehicles have warranties. That's why car companies offer roadside assistance like OnStar. That's why companies, including insurance companies, offer road side assistance.
Nissan refused to acknowledge they had a problem with their batteries for a long time. It took owners' legal action to get them to act. To their credit, GM has acknowledged they have a problem with early batteries. But their response was to put the onus on their customers. Since they clearly can't tell in advance of failure which of those early packs have defective cells, they should replace them all, up to the point where the problem was caught and corrected.

·
Registered
501 Posts
We Bolters are early adopters. As such, we should probably expect a slightly higher than average failure rate.
I have a 2016 build date, and I hope nothing happens, but I understand that it is possible, and I am gonna' drive. drive, drive.
Also... Seriously...? What's with the sexist comments about some poor helpless woman being stranded in the dark...? My wife understands that she may break down in any car, any time, and she's ready for that possibility. My mother understands that she may break down in any car, any time, and she's ready for that possibility. My daughter understands that she may break
down in any car or any of the antique airplanes that she flies, any time, and she is ready for that possibility.
Also... And I am serious. If anyone's wife gets stranded in their Bolt, instead of "burning it to the ground in front of GM headquarters",
I suggest selling it to me for a dollar instead. Saves him the jail time, and gets me a great car for a buck. :D

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I think the correct response to any vehicle manufacturing defect is to burn your vehicle down at the headquarters of the vehicle manufacturer.

That will show them!

The other day my Apple CarPlay wasn’t syncing properly with my Bolt, so it’s off to the gas station for some fuel and a book of matches.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm glad mine was built in November 2017. The battery warranty is very long: 8 years or 100,000 miles, with a minimum 60% of original capacity. Several strings on this forum suggest that battery life will be much better than that, given the Bolt's liquid battery conditioning system. And I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, which helps a lot: the temperature rarely drops below 40 degrees F, and there aren't too many summer days over 90 degrees F.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/5417-battery-warranties-compared.html

·
Registered
293 Posts
OK...I want more info. While this is clearly a 'stranding' requiring a tow....do we know if this was a (much more serious) sudden loss of power while driving? I did not see that.

I think some in this thread are cross-talking with a different idea of what is happening.

Given the series parallel nature of the battery pack....I don't see why a single bad cell must result in total loss of power.

??

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
We Bolters are early adopters. As such, we should probably expect a slightly higher than average failure rate.
What's with the sexist comments about some poor helpless woman being stranded in the dark...?

I have no problem with being a so-called early adopter. I do have a problem with huge corporations not standing behind their products.

My wife and I are both old feminists, with no interest in normal conventions. The "sexist" talk is about the clear difference between a man's and a woman's chances of being harrassed. Have you been paying attention to the news?

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I see lots of complaints about seat comfort, the functioning of phone apps, lights in the charge port, sun visor, and every sort of creature comfort. But when it comes to an actual safety issue there is lots of push back. I don't get it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nissan refused to acknowledge they had a problem with their batteries for a long time. It took owners' legal action to get them to act. To their credit, GM has acknowledged they have a problem with early batteries. But their response was to put the onus on their customers. Since they clearly can't tell in advance of failure which of those early packs have defective cells, they should replace them all, up to the point where the problem was caught and corrected.
It's my understanding that if the battery fails GM will replace it under warranty (assuming the vehicle is still within warranty). Is that not the case?

·
Registered
643 Posts
hmmm - I wonder why everyone is so surprised GM isn't being more proactive - isn't there ample evidence that GM has NEVER been proactive with potential problems - rather they seem to prefer to let them play out…we all knew this when we bought a GM product. What part of cost containment procedures do people not understand. If you don't like it - buy your products from another company, but please don't expect GM to change because you feel they should stand behind their product. It's just not the company's history.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I see lots of complaints about seat comfort, the functioning of phone apps, lights in the charge port, sun visor, and every sort of creature comfort. But when it comes to an actual safety issue there is lots of push back. I don't get it.
What push back are you receiving? The reality is vehicles breakdown. There's no avoiding it. Because of this manufacturers offer a warranty to cover issues which result during the warranty period.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts