Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked, google failed this rookie :(

Just charged at a mall with a DCFC station. Leaf owner indicated that this charger (I don't have details) was only able to charge one car at a time ie either chademo or SAE combo but not both.

I could swear my hometown charger gives option for a Leaf and a Bolt to charge at same time?

Advice?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
All the dual-cable DC Fast Charging stations that I've seen can only actively charge on either the CHAdeMO or the CCS cable at once - none of them can provide power to both at the same time.

The only reason that they have two cables is because the two charging standards require different plugs on the end.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You can call the number listed on the station for help. Or just try it. I'd guess the logic on the DCFC will prevent you from prematurely ending the Leaf's charging. Worst case: you don't get a charge. Best case: you do get a charge. Maybe the station will split the charge rate to each car (assuming both cars are equal or greater than 1/2 the stations max charge rate).

So if station can pump out 24kWh, then both cars would each get only 12kWh rate of charge.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That Leaf probably has a 24kWh battery which will be filled in 30-45 minutes. Go eat, plug in, have dessert, drive off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up:

Called Greenlots and 'Virgil' indicated a- the battery pack of the station could only support one car charging and b- to try dual charging sometime as it may work anyway(!).

For those that care, the two stations with different configurations are pictured as Manning Park and EcoDairy in Abbotsford.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts