Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning fellow Bolties,

Just want to make sure I read the battery range gauge in the car correctly.
The top number is what I call “possible achievable” range if I drive a certain way. The middle number is actual range and the lowest is the “minimum achievable” range with that charge?

The reason I ask is because my bolt is 87% showing a range of 220km on the Chargepoint app. So I believe the range showed on the app would be the middle number on the car dashboard range gauge?

Thanks everyone

Ps it’s -4c outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea, the middle number is the 'most likely' estimate of range, given your past few (hundred?) miles of driving. The upper and lower numbers are what you'd get if you changed your driving pattern dramatically for the worse/better. The middle number is also what the Chevy phone application is going to show.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Yea, the middle number is the 'most likely' estimate of range, given your past few (hundred?) miles of driving. The upper and lower numbers are what you'd get if you changed your driving pattern dramatically for the worse/better. The middle number is also what the Chevy phone application is going to show.
In addition, at the left edge of the middle range number you may see a little green "tongue" sticking upward or an orange "tongue" sticking downward toward the "max" or "min" range estimates. That tongue tells you whether or not your recent driving (last 5 minutes or so?) is doing better or worse than the "middle" estimate. For example, if there's a little green "tongue" sticking halfway up towards the "max" estimate, it means that based on your very recent driving your range is likely to be something like halfway between the middle estimate and the "max" one.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
But I don’t think it considers even the last 100 miles. I think it is closer to the last 10 miles (maybe 25, max). And it changes instantly with addition/cessation of A/C (especially heat).

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you utilize your efficiency graph screen, you can get a really good idea as to your total range - it summarizes your more recent driving. For highway driving, it can give you a really good sense of your likely maximum range. For my big winter trip, I knew that if I could keep the kw/h per 100km at 24 or below, I would make my trip without charging.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! everything makes more sense now. Will keep an eye on all this. Also, I am aware that come spring/summer, range will get better.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If you utilize your efficiency graph screen, you can get a really good idea as to your total range - it summarizes your more recent driving. For highway driving, it can give you a really good sense of your likely maximum range. For my big winter trip, I knew that if I could keep the kw/h per 100km at 24 or below, I would make my trip without charging.
Just to pick some nits: It should be "kWh". Energy is the *multiple* of Watts (power) and hours (time). You showed it as a division. The underlying units for Power (in Watts) are Joules/second. If you multiply that by time (in seconds), you're left with Joules, a unit of Energy. Hours are used as a convenience, and are easily converted to seconds for calculations. Sorry. Twenty years teaching Physics has left me damaged...:nerd:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts