Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a trip to Canada planned in a few days which takes us through a really desolate part of Maine where there are no chargers available. Weather is looking really rainy. How much of a decrease in range can I expect if I have to run the wipers and headlights the whole time?

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
1,050 Posts
Power consumed by the wiper motors and the headlights are roughly 0.1kW total at most. That would have less than 2% impact on the range.

The drag caused by the rain has far more negative effect on the range - about 10 to 20% for heavy downpours.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
341 Posts
We have a trip to Canada planned in a few days which takes us through a really desolate part of Maine where there are no chargers available. Weather is looking really rainy. How much of a decrease in range can I expect if I have to run the wipers and headlights the whole time?
If weather is a factor, I'd plan for a 20% reduction in range, personally. But I am very conservative since I've only owned mine for 5wks/4k miles. Have made a couple 300mi each way trips, but aside from that, nothing crazy.

Also, by "no chargers" I assume you mean DCFC. Are there any L2 chargers you could keep as contingency plan along your route or slightly off ?

·
Registered
917 Posts
The power your lights and wipers use is not significant, but as was said earlier the added rolling resistance of driving in the rain is, depending on how much water is on the road while driving could have a major effect on your range. Up to about 20-25% in heavy rain from my observation. My opinion is when bad weather is predicted always plan shorter distance between stops and maybe deeper charging at each stop.
And Always keep track of the weather forecast..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,499 Posts
Abetterrouteplanner.com (ABRP) and the app have a setting where you can indicate rainy roads. That might give you a rough idea of how it changes the energy usage on your route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts