Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I've been driving an EV since 2013, first a Leaf, now a Bolt. I will never drive an ICE auto again - if I can help it! I believe that electric vehicles are the future of transportation, coupled with self-driving and ride sharing technologies, and powered renewable energy they will revolutionize the transportation industry. I love the fact that EV's are a superior substitute for ICE vehicles for most uses, and will reach cost parity in mid 2020's. The high efficiency of the electric motor compared with the Sterling engine, will significantly reduce energy consumption for vehicles, and eliminate air pollution (if 100% renewable energy powered). Thanks Chevy for seriously investing in EV technology. I love my Bolt!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome to the Renaissance :)

I can't wait for more CSA DCFC stations to get built in the Midwest so I can take a trip down to Missouri and Oklahoma from Michigan, then the future really will be here now!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Bolt. So far, I am loving it. I know that the "news" is saying some automobile companies say that they will be all electric by 2025-2030 but I don't see it happening UNLESS the companies and the government can get on board with growing the grid capabilities. Walk outside and just look around, can you see all these ICE vehicles disappearing in 5-10 years? Honestly? Yes, I know they can raise the price of fuel so that it becomes almost impossible to drive an ICE vehicle anymore, and I know the reliability of electric vehicles has improved by leaps and bounds, but . . .
Think about the strain on the power grid when all these electric vehicles are plugged in to charge. Think of what happened this winter when we had the great ice storm. Here in Texas, I sat in the dark for 3 days with a few flashlights and candles! If I had had an electric car like I do now, how would I charge it. Solar, would help, during the day but at night you are back in the cave with the Neanderthals. I have solar panels on my roof, and it helps cut my bill considerably; however, the cost of installing the panels will not be paid off until I am in my 90's or dead. Most people won't be able to afford them. Technology needs to do a lot of catch up to get us into an electrical future. I love my new Bolt, but this problem will only get worse until we find a solution to our ageing electrical grid. The truth is that there must be a blend of fossil fuels, electricity, hydrogen and whatever else out there for us to remain mobile.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
We need to vote with our wallets. I no longer have a Subaru car for this reason. I may not own Toyota car if Toyota does not have a decent EV when it comes time for replacement.

·
Administrator
2,946 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Bolt. So far, I am loving it. I know that the "news" is saying some automobile companies say that they will be all electric by 2025-2030 but I don't see it happening UNLESS the companies and the government can get on board with growing the grid capabilities. Walk outside and just look around, can you see all these ICE vehicles disappearing in 5-10 years? Honestly? Yes, I know they can raise the price of fuel so that it becomes almost impossible to drive an ICE vehicle anymore, and I know the reliability of electric vehicles has improved by leaps and bounds, but . . .
Think about the strain on the power grid when all these electric vehicles are plugged in to charge. Think of what happened this winter when we had the great ice storm. Here in Texas, I sat in the dark for 3 days with a few flashlights and candles! If I had had an electric car like I do now, how would I charge it. Solar, would help, during the day but at night you are back in the cave with the Neanderthals. I have solar panels on my roof, and it helps cut my bill considerably; however, the cost of installing the panels will not be paid off until I am in my 90's or dead. Most people won't be able to afford them. Technology needs to do a lot of catch up to get us into an electrical future. I love my new Bolt, but this problem will only get worse until we find a solution to our ageing electrical grid. The truth is that there must be a blend of fossil fuels, electricity, hydrogen and whatever else out there for us to remain mobile.
I suspect that the grid can support EV market share at pretty high levels with current capacities. Many facilities operate only during peak demand times and shut down the rest of the day. That is a poor economic model, only utilizing generating capacity for 20% of the day for example. The key is flattening demand curves by distributing loads, including charging activity as evenly as possible. Renewables with storage can help, as can distributed storage to address pockets of high demand.

I think it may take a demand-response mechanism. Right now, EV owners get home from work and plug in during peak demand times and add to the load when generating is near capacity. If all EV owners shift to 10PM, then a new peak demand period emerges, kind of a whack a mole problem. But most EV owners only need a couple of hours to reach target charge levels. So by allowing utilities to manage the load, there is a better chance of flattening the curve. More workplace charging, even L1 could help as well since mid-day is typically a relatively low demand period. 120V charging at home and work would probably meet the needs of a high percentage of EV owners. Even those who require more would use less at home on L2 if they could add 8-10kWh during the workday.

Over time, increased capacity may be necessary. But, it is not an unprecedented thing. In the past, inventions like air conditioning have skewed demand and driven grid providers to up their game. You can bet utility companies and regulators are keeping an eye on the trends and planning for the changes.

In CO, our state has set some pretty aggressive targets for electrified transportation. The plan enlists support from utilities and we are already seeing a response from the utilities. Xcel has a pretty comprehensive plan for not only CO, but other states they operate in as a result of CO demanding they address the topic. Even my small coop provider is getting in thanks to their wholesale provider taking an aggressive approach.

ICE vehicles will not just go away. If the average life of an ICE is 12 years, it would take some time before these are scrapped. Some people are able to stretch the life to 20 years or more, and collectors will restore and keep ICE on the road for even longer.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,361 Posts
...Think of what happened this winter when we had the great ice storm. Here in Texas, I sat in the dark for 3 days with a few flashlights and candles! If I had had an electric car like I do now, how would I charge it...
Well, if your Bolt was mostly charged when the power went out, you might have been able to use it as an emergency power source for a few days:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts