Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
The last time I had to replace my hot water heater I went scrounging around on the Internet and discovered that the reason they die is because of galvanic action that causes the fittings to corrode. Hot water heaters have a "sacrificial anode" that's designed to be the target of this action - it corrodes first before anything else does, but when the rod is "used up" then the rest of the tank starts to go.

Now here's the interesting bit - Hot water heaters are sold with 6, 9, or 12 year warranties. The only real difference between them is how long or how many of these anode rods are installed. It's a perfect example of planned obsolescence.....
I had the exact same experience when a plumber replaced our hot water heater because most manufacturers in the 1990's were using a internal plastic dip tube made by one company that used a defective plastic that disintegrated into small pieces that clogged the faucet screens.

When I asked the plumber how long, in his experience, a 12-year heater would last, without hesitation, he replied, "Twelve years."

I told him my parents had a water heater with a copper tank that was more than 60 years old.
His reply: "Yeah, well they learned not to do that anymore!"

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
We don't count the CO2 in the tons of stuff we import from China. That goes on Chin's ledger. Germany gets to count as a CO2 "reduction" burning wood pellets from the trees cut down here in Virginia. Even though the actual CO2 released in those old coal plants from wood smoke is actually higher than from coal. Creative accounting is a miracle.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
So I guess your point is, GJETSON, that a dramatic decrease in the release of CO2 during the pandemic had zero effect on the measured rise of CO2. Interesting...

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
So I guess your point is, GJETSON, that a dramatic decrease in the release of CO2 during the pandemic had zero effect on the measured rise of CO2. Interesting...
You might well wonder if this reflects some tipping points being crossed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a GreenWorks that is going into its third year with no issues although I should sharpen the blade. Love it and it just 110v charger, came with two batteries and have since gotten their blower that uses the same battery. Small-ish yard but I've only once gone through both batteries, when it was wet and long.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I'm wondering if there are CO2 emissions that aren't being accounted for...
Of course there are. The numbers for any area smaller than the whole is subject to interpretation by local authorities. Every country will massage their numbers to make themselves look good.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Hot water tanks are supposed to be drained and cleaned periodically too, but how many actually do that? I've never done it before.
I've always drained my heater monthly. Not the whole thing, but enough to hopefully suck out any debris from the bottom of the tank. I built a small wooden platform that the heater sits on so that I can get something underneath the drain valve.

When I asked the plumber how long, in his experience, a 12-year heater would last, without hesitation, he replied, "Twelve years."
Our water is pretty soft, and I'm optimistic that the warranty period is based on worst-case hard water corrosion. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Of course there are. The numbers for any area smaller than the whole is subject to interpretation by local authorities. Every country will massage their numbers to make themselves look good.
So everything that might go against your beliefs is false or manipulated but everything that supports your beliefs is completely accurate. Sounds almost... religious.

Sorry GJETSON, it's that sort of one-sided belief that brings out the skeptic in me. But I am only questioning it, not declaring it false. I hope you see the difference. ✌

P.S. Thinking of getting rid of the Black & Decker string trimmer and replacing with a Ryobi. The B&D is starting to vibrate pretty bad. (Had to say something that is somewhat on topic) 😄

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
... it's that sort of one-sided belief that brings out the skeptic in me. But I am only questioning it, not declaring it false. I hope you see the difference. ✌
I see that from everyone on here.
But never me.
Never...
(Deadpan humor)

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I think the water heater in my '95 house is original, and even more confident my '04 house has an original heater. Both natural gas. Was thinking to go NG tankless when the time comes. Never performed maintenance on anything.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've got an 18v Ryobi string trimmer and wouldn't bother with it. Go 36v+ with whatever ecosystem you buy into.
That's the thing. I've got Ryobi 18v power tools and 40v mower. I got the B&D because I wanted a blower/vacuum and a line trimmer and the Ryobi didn't have a blower/vacuum. And the Ryobi string trimmer was not rated very well either. So now I'm not sure which way to go for the trimmer. It's a small yard so I don't particularly need power or capacity. Looks like Ryobi now has a 40v straight shaft trimmer. I might have to get that just so I don't need other batteries.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
So everything that might go against your beliefs is false or manipulated but everything that supports your beliefs is completely accurate. Sounds almost... religious.
What is it that is going against my beliefs? Global CO2 continues to rise, as seen in the actual measurements. There was a small reduction in CO2 released from productive human activity in 2020. But there was also certainly an increase in deforestation, and uncontrolled methane leakage from unprofitable wells.

You are looking for conspiratorial thinking where there is none. People, nations, and corporations look out for themselves first, at the expense of all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a battery chain saw, it uses standard 120V outlet for charging, much like cordless screwdrivers, saws, etc. Mine is EGO, they also make lawn mowers that use the same battery pack.

If you have a larger yard, it might make sense to get an extra battery pack.
Since I have my Bolt now I am looking at the other gas thing in the garage - the lawnmower. I then look at fancy Level 2 charger on the wall. Does anyone have experience with electric ( battery ) lawnmowers? Do any charge with a J1772 adapter or plug into a 240V Nema 14-50 outlet?
Tons. For walk-behind, I love the Kohler brand sold by Lowes. They didn't have a self-propelled one when I was using them, but I loved the 80 volt version. It's battery operated, and had fast recharging. Self-propelled would be amazing where I live. Here's a link to the (pricey) one they are now listing. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-...21-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower/1000698046

These days, I use the Ryobi riding mower. Which I totally love. It's like having my own little dune buggy. You plug it in to recharge it, and it must be kept indoors (we're using a powered shed). This will be our fourth summer using it. The battery does not last quite as long, but we're leaving more of the 2-acre yard long for pollinators, so that has worked out for us. RYOBI 38 in. 100 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower-RY48111 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been using the same plug-in electric mower for more than 30 years. I've had to replace the brushes a few times, and the bridge rectifier once, but it still mows just as well as it did when new.

Reducing your environmental impact also means keeping your equipment in service as long as possible. I'm awfully skeptical that I could keep a cordless mower in service that long because of battery technology and long-term availability.

It annoys me to no end that over time products are becoming more and more disposable. I'm still using the same Speed Queen washing machine that was in our house when I bought it in the late 1970's. I know for a fact that it's well over 40 years old, and it could easily be 50. I worry that if I ever have to replace it I'll never find another that would last even half as long.

And don't get me started on cell phones with non-replaceable batteries...
40+ year Sears Craftsman corded lawnmower here. Even Zoysia grass doesn't stop it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since I have my Bolt now I am looking at the other gas thing in the garage - the lawnmower. I then look at fancy Level 2 charger on the wall. Does anyone have experience with electric ( battery ) lawnmowers? Do any charge with a J1772 adapter or plug into a 240V Nema 14-50 outlet?
I had a battery powered mower about 15-20 years ago. The first season I could mow my entire lawn with one charge. The second I would do about 2/3 of the yard charge a bit while getting a drink of water and resting then finish the lawn. The third year I could only do half then charge overnight for the other half. I went through two batteries (rather expensive) - about 6 years before I got rid of it. Interestingly I got it thinking about an electric vehicle to see how battery development was coming along- hopefully there has been much improvement in battery technology. I don't remember but probably not lithium batteries.hopefully there has been much improvement

81 - 100 of 170 Posts