Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Are there not quite a few new models being developed by GM as we speak? They all are going to be interesting with respect to range, price, and functionality.

·
Registered
310 Posts
How about a hydrogen powered truck? Colorado or Silverado ZH2.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
How about a hydrogen powered truck? Colorado or Silverado ZH2.
Synchronicity ...

I was at the Calif DMV today, applying for a RealID -compliant driver's license .

1) I was shocked to see that the TV screen used to display who is "being helped" and "next up" shows advertisements as well !! When did that start ?!!?

2) One of the adverts was for Chevy Silverado ZH2 - a joint GM-military project to create a rugged military truck that is powered by a fuel cell. (aside: just what the army needs - a battle vehicle full of hydrogen).

PS: here's a link to GM's site for the previous fuel cell military truck : Chevrolet Colorado ZH2

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/colorado/chevrolet-colorado-zh2/

·
Registered
721 Posts
I will be the 1st to buy and all EV pick up.
I miss my F-350 Diesel but I can squeeze most things in the Bolt. Just would be nice to load up some 20 cinder blocks or plywood sheets and not have to really think about it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Found this... an electric S-10 pickup from the 1990s. Sure is a shame GM isn’t making a small electric pickup these days. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_EV .
I have the 1999 Chevrolet Electric S-10 Owner Manual, so that is definite proof that GM did manufacture and sold them. They used lead-acid cells, and some of the newer owners have replaced them with lithium-ion packs, then run then again on public roads.

This is why an EV can last very long. Claire Ford (Henry's wife) had a Detroit Electric car that is still workable. It is at the Ford Museum at Dearborn, Mi (I saw it). It only needs to keep the correct air pressure in its tires and a charge to its battery and it can run as new!! Your 2017 Chevy Boltr EV can be running until the 22nd century if it is well cared.

By the way, GM is presently planning to revive the small S-10 pickup, as the Colorado became larger and heavier. Ford has already revived the Ranger, which was also an electric pickup in the past.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I miss my F-350 Diesel but I can squeeze most things in the Bolt. Just would be nice to load up some 20 cinder blocks or plywood sheets and not have to really think about it.
Converting your F-350 to electric will be cheaper than buying a new electric EV truck, especially if it is from TEsla!

·
Registered
253 Posts
...Chevy Silverado ZH2 - a joint GM-military project to create a rugged military truck that is powered by a fuel cell. (aside: just what the army needs - a battle vehicle full of hydrogen)...
The military likes things that go BOOM! The legacy automakers haven't exactly avoided those types of vehicles either for the last century, providing us with all manner of transportation racing at high speeds in close proximity to each other with a tank of combustible fuel ready to burst into flame if the angle of impact is just so.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Are there not quite a few new models being developed by GM as we speak? They all are going to be interesting with respect to range, price, and functionality.
You are correct, not a few are being developed. I don't know of any by GM.

The only manufacturers I'm aware of are Tesla and Workhorse.

A folding Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer would accomplish the things you mention, and could easily be towed by the Bolt. It fits in my 2 car garage along with 2 cars, a motorcycle, 5 bicycles, a futon, air compressor, workbench, and assorted tools.

I've towed 1800 lbs of topsoil with my Prius using one.

Not my garage, but here's what it looks like folded:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Found this... an electric S-10 pickup from the 1990s. Sure is a shame GM isn’t making a small electric pickup these days. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_EV .

The S-10 used the same running gear as the EV-1 except the motor was derated to 85kW. To clarify, like the EV-1, the first version of the S-10 had PbA batteries, while the second version had NiMH.

Ford had a PbA electric Ranger pickup at about the same time as well. I drove one for a couple of years. Capable small pickup.

Both the S-10EV and the Ranger-EV were initially only available to fleets...usually electrical utilities, but in my town (HB CA), they were used by the USPS. The local Post Office still has a bunch of AVCON chargers on the wall in their maintenance yard.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The S-10 used the same running gear as the EV-1 except the motor was derated to 85kW. To clarify, like the EV-1, the first version of the S-10 had PbA batteries, while the second version had NiMH.

Ford had a PbA electric Ranger pickup at about the same time as well. I drove one for a couple of years. Capable small pickup.

Both the S-10EV and the Ranger-EV were initially only available to fleets...usually electrical utilities, but in my town (HB CA), they were used by the USPS. The local Post Office still has a bunch of AVCON chargers on the wall in their maintenance yard.
Why is a lead acid always listed a PbA? Why not PbH2SO4??? Jack thought he drank H20, but drank H2SO4 and Jack is no more. :nerd:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Why is a lead acid always listed a PbA? Why not PbH2SO4??? Jack thought he drank H20, but drank H2SO4 and Jack is no more. :nerd:

It's just shorthand. Same reason we call it "NiMH", rather than include the specifics of the metal hydride, or the specific ion in "Li-ion".

Yup. Gotta watch out for that deadly Dihydrogen monoxide. It's a powerful solvent, and many people die because of it every year.;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never put chemicals in your body; they are the worst! ;)
I abhor ingesting dihydrogen monoxide. But if you dilute it with yeast byproducts with notes of charred oak, it becomes much more palatable. The Scots of Johnston Island in their desperation to dilute dihydrogen monoxide flavor it with smoked peat... Laphroig.... good stuff.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I abhor ingesting dihydrogen monoxide. But if you dilute it with yeast byproducts with notes of charred oak, it becomes much more palatable. The Scots of Johnston Island in their desperation to dilute dihydrogen monoxide flavor it with smoked peat... Laphroig.... good stuff.
You're singing to my taste buds. An Islay single malt is a beautiful thing. Big fan of Ardbeg too, and Glenfiddich and I are well acquainted. Whelp... you've helped me decide to bring the Laphroig with me to the beach tonight.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The only manufacturers I'm aware of are Tesla and Workhorse.
If you're talking about trucks:

Ford has its PHEV F-150: https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/06/2020-ford-f-150-plug-in-hybrid-spied.html

Bollinger has its B1 and B2: https://www.bollingermotors.com/

VIA Motors currently has an EV van, but they are also working on a PHEV truck: https://www.viamotors.com/

Atlis Motors is also working on an EV pickup: http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck/

GM hasn't announced anything, but they very likely have some working prototypes.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts