Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,560 Posts
This statement seems pretty clear. But hey, it's only words.

Mike Ableson, General Motors Vice President Global Strategy, said at the GM Global Headquarters in Detroit that we shouldn’t count on an electric pickup from GM:

“The core business is going to be the core business for a couple of decades to come. There will not be any AV/EV pickups.”

https://insideevs.com/general-motors-no-electric-pickup-truck/
Yes and when others show that BEV pickups are workable and people do want them, guys like Mike Ableson will be looking for a new job and GM will be frantically looking to catch up. I personally hope that Mr. Ableson's comment is a ruse and they do indeed have BEV plans in the works. Imagine it, as the Tesla pickup gets closer to reality with concepts shown and deposits made, BAM!!! Out of nowhere comes a Chevy BEV production ready pickup concept, ready for delivery in just a year.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I tend to agree with your comments.

That said, a purpose built EV truck could be awesome.

As it is, truck beds are built much higher than the axle to accommodate sag and suspension travel. An EV could be made without a differential (use 2 smaller motors directly connected to wheels) and allow the battery to be set lower, under where the traditional bed would sit, lowering center of gravity and helping to balance the unloaded weight bias. Most of the front end of the truck could be cut off, kinda like a cab-over.

An EV truck would be perfect for local contractors that don't drive more than a couple hundred miles in a day. It would save them tons of money in fuel/maintenance, and the really big factor; downtime due to unexpected failure.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Luxury pickups are a real thing. Price a loaded out top trim full size, its absolutely nuts what they cost. And people pay that, its a healthy market.

The upper end is where an EV Pickup could make a profit right now. Start with the upper end of the market and work your way down, same as what worked with the sedans.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Well, given that trains are powered by electric motors (whose power comes from onboard diesel generators) we know that there isn't any problem with scaling up all-electric power.
In that scenario, yes, but the diesel generator in a locomotive engine does not physically connect to the trucks in any way. It simply powers the motors and recharges the buffer battery.

I think GM was speaking specifically about the Voltec platform, which does have a physical drive connection between the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree so much!

I had an F-350 Diesel with the largest cab, and an 8' bed (single rear wheel, not a dually)... I would purchase an EV pickup so fast it would make your head spin if the price is low enough. In the meantime I installed a Draw-Tite hitch and purchased a used 5' x 8' utility trailer.

Later,

Keith
That is what I had but the 6' bed and Crew Cab.

I think the Top end Truck EV is Not the way to go. You want to get the little guy in it to prove it's use 1st. Then up the battery and add on the $$$.
There is Plenty of room to put the Batteries.
I don't see the point of a Hybrid truck, go all or nothing. You are not saving the $$ that you would with a full EV truck.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I don't see the point of a Hybrid truck, go all or nothing. You are not saving the $$ that you would with a full EV truck.
If anything made sense to make hybrid at all, it was the pickup truck. If you are not for hybrid pickups, then you should also not be for any of the previous hybrid cars.

The heavier the vehicle, the easier it is to justify a hybrid system to recapture the energy otherwise lost braking, downsize the engine so it can run more efficiently when it's just maintaining cruise (90% of use), and shut down the engine when stopped.

The Honda Insight was the first modern hybrid, and it gets the same fuel economy when running gasoline only, or hybrid. It's lightweight and has a tiny engine.

You've got a point though; there's nothing too magical about hybrid cars. They mostly make up for inefficient driving habits that can mostly be overcome with careful attention. That said, a plug-in hybrid truck would be awesome.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I got rid of my Diesel PU because of the maintenance of a 12 year old truck. But I don't 'need' to have a full working Farm truck any more. That is why I want a full EV PU.
BUT, that said, it is for LIGHT PU stuff like I said before. If I want to use a REAL PU I would buy another Diesel.

I am not a huge fan of hybrids. mainly because I want to get away form the gas/ engine work. EV - so much cheaper to run, maintain.
I did buy my son a Prius C, because he wouldn't be able to remember to plug in. That being said, he also wouldn't have to think about any thing else maintenance wise if he had a full EV... some day. He immediately figured out the $$ he saves in gas so that was a plus for a 20-something y/o guy ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,560 Posts
I did buy my son a Prius C, because he wouldn't be able to remember to plug in. That being said, he also wouldn't have to think about any thing else maintenance wise if he had a full EV... some day. He immediately figured out the $$ he saves in gas so that was a plus for a 20-something y/o guy ;)
Maybe that's how you learn to remember things? By tragically screwing up a couple of times. If the future goes the way we all hope it does, he'll have to learn how to plug in at some point.

·
Registered
721 Posts
That is what I am hoping for. When he had my i-MiEV I told him to stay at home, 5 min from his work. Nope, he had to drive 30 min away in deep cold weather and sit at the L2 down from his house because he didn't think he would make it. He was panicking and I am glad he did. now he knows a bit better about running out of 'juice'

·
Super Moderator
2,560 Posts
It looks like I was wrong in my hunch. Appears Rivian is going to produce the body work as well. It looks like a big Ridgeline type vehicle. I also didn't know they are planning a 3 row SUV as well. I'll be going to the LA auto show, so I'll get to see their eye popping deposit magnets in person. Now a new group of people will be invited to give a start up company interest free loans and then wait forever with release delays, production he11 and bottlenecks! :laugh:

https://insideevs.com/rivian-pickup-truck-is-otherworldly/

·
Registered
901 Posts
If anything made sense to make hybrid at all, it was the pickup truck. If you are not for hybrid pickups, then you should also not be for any of the previous hybrid cars.

The heavier the vehicle, the easier it is to justify a hybrid system to recapture the energy otherwise lost braking, downsize the engine so it can run more efficiently when it's just maintaining cruise (90% of use), and shut down the engine when stopped.

The Honda Insight was the first modern hybrid, and it gets the same fuel economy when running gasoline only, or hybrid. It's lightweight and has a tiny engine.

Also adding 5mpg to a 30mpg vehicle is NOT the same thing as adding 5mpg to a 15mpg vehicle...

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Also adding 5mpg to a 30mpg vehicle is NOT the same thing as adding 5mpg to a 15mpg vehicle...
Exactly what I'm getting at. The gen I Insight got 70 MPG, and in the right driver's hands, can get 70 MPG with a dead traction battery (no electric assist). Of course, with the electric assist gone, it goes from sluggish to snailish (are snails slower?).

We assume truck buyers aren't so cost conscious, but contractors would be all over a truck that had lower lifetime operating costs, plus they can depreciate the higher cost of the vehicle over several years to mostly recoup the expense.

Plenty of truck owners are into speed, and what better way to get a jump off the line than EV assist (or full EV)?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
We assume truck buyers aren't so cost conscious, but contractors would be all over a truck that had lower lifetime operating costs, plus they can depreciate the higher cost of the vehicle over several years to mostly recoup the expense.
Never underestimate what a pickup truck owner will pay for a truck that says “Harley Davidson” on the side... lol

·
Registered
993 Posts
Never underestimate what a pickup truck owner will pay for a truck that says “Harley Davidson” on the side... lol

Decals are cheap....
And Harley Davidson is gong to be making an EV Motorcycle...

Upping the fuel economy of a pickup from 20 mpg to 25 mpg would be huge, and much more important than moving a Prius from 55 mpg to 60 mpg.

Keith

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
And Harley Davidson is gong to be making an EV Motorcycle...
Keith
Heresy..... Harley can’t make a motorcycle.... how would it “mark” it’s territory? Yes, I’m being silly. I saw where they had a PR piece about electric motorcycle. Actually I rode a Zero Motorcycle at a Tesla meetup in Charleston SC. It felt like a 500cc bike... nice . Wife and I have FJR 1300 and Concours 1400 bikes.

·
Super Moderator
2,560 Posts
There is no shortage of buyers for expensive pickups with or without co-branding. In fact, the simple stripped down standard cab, 8' bed work truck buyer is a very rare breed indeed. The irony is, many truck fans love the honestness and simplicity of vintage trucks, but when they buy new, it must have every new feature known to man and all the squish of a Lexus. That basic, stripped down trucks still available, but only fleet operators buy them it seems.

The thing to note about the luxury pickup buyer is, many justify the expense because they believe they are buying the Swiss Army knife of vehicles. It can do anything and everything. It can carry the family of five comfortably, it can tow the boat, it can haul the sacks of mulch, or piles of gravel, it can climb the dirt trail to go camping, it can haul the groceries and take the kids to soccer practice, it can make the non-stop 500 mile trip to grandma's and more often than not, it can commute daily in comfort. Makers of BEV pickups need to mindful of this. Their trucks need to be as close to the "Swiss Army Knife" ideal as possible, or no deal.

The way I see it so far is, the big potential deal breakers are going to be-

• Payload capacity.
  • Range.
  • Recharge time.
  • Charging infrastructure for those long trips.
  • Towing capacity and what that does to range.
  • All weather range.
It is likely that whatever BEV pickup comes out from Tesla, or Rivian, or Bollinger, or whoever will be at least somewhat of a compromise on the super does all truck currently for sale. The real question is going to be, will the arguments in favor of the BEV pickup of cheaper energy costs, very low maintenance, awesome torque and amazing zero to 60 times be enough to sway these traditional buyers at the presumed premium price? I guess we'll see but my guess is they won't be anywhere near as a big hit the Model 3 has been and the traditional truck makers don't have a lot to worry about short term. Long term though, they had better have their ideas already on drawing boards.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
It looks like I was wrong in my hunch. Appears Rivian is going to produce the body work as well. It looks like a big Ridgeline type vehicle. I also didn't know they are planning a 3 row SUV as well. I'll be going to the LA auto show, so I'll get to see their eye popping deposit magnets in person. Now a new group of people will be invited to give a start up company interest free loans and then wait forever with release delays, production he11 and bottlenecks! :laugh:

https://insideevs.com/rivian-pickup-truck-is-otherworldly/

"Now a new group of people will be invited to give a start up company interest free loans and then wait forever with release delays, production he11 and bottlenecks!"

Yup. I've done that twice, with Aptera and Commuter cars, but not with Tesla. I got my deposits back on both. From Aptera, when they went belly up, and Commuter Cars, when they simply gave up.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts