Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am the proud owner of a new 2018 Chevrolet Bolt LT.
Had a Nissan Leaf for 4 years.
Question. I was able to calculate my electric usage and cost using my Nissan App.
This was very useful in billing my company.
Does the Chevrolet App have this feature?

·
Registered
304 Posts
No, Chevy app won't give you that data. If you want to track the energy used to charge the car at home, some of the chargers have apps (web and/or mobile) that can give you the charging data.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
If you charge off a standard 120v outlet, a cheap "Kill-O-Watt" meter can fairly accurately track the amount of energy used to charge the vehicle. It will be more than what your car reports, as the charging process is not 100% efficient.

If you're charging 240v, there are meters for this too, but they are more expensive and often involve installing inside your breaker panel.

Getting a "Smart" EVSE as mentioned above would probably be the easiest way to keep track of energy use, but also the most expensive option.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just keep track of your mileage and use your average energy consumption. I never reset my trip meter, so this provides an easy and seemingly accurate measure of average mileage. Of course, this doesn't include any losses from the charger itself.

Here in Northern California, PG&E will install a separate meter just for a car charger, but there is an installation fee of around $100 USD. This would capture all of the charging power, but it doesn't help with collecting your mileage or actual consumption from driving the car.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
If you charge off a standard 120v outlet, a cheap "Kill-O-Watt" meter can fairly accurately track the amount of energy used to charge the vehicle.
I've seen posts by Kill-a-Watt users who have had their units melt down under heavy continuous load. If you're planning to run one to monitor the Bolt while charging at 12A, I would keep a very close eye on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.