Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Electrify America has shown improvement since mid-March when I last posted. Open sites is up to 151 and the overall success rate has jumped from 79% to 82%. Success rate is measured by Plugshare checkins. As long as an EV arrived at an EA site and eventually charged, it counts as success. Otherwise it counts as a failure.

It's possible that the improvement is partially due to the fact that Electrify American now has 24/7 support. A lot of checkins still report a need to call in to reset the credit card reader.

But also, it appears that as they add sites, they are getting better at making sure the new sites actually work. For awhile, a new site opening was always followed by unsuccessful charging attempts.

I'm going to start keeping track of success rate by month and give a monthly report. Here are the last couple of months:

March: 83%
April: 82.4%

Vital stats:
Open: 151
Coming Soon: 186
Overall Success Rate: 82%

Opened by month:
May 2018: 4
June 2018: 0
July 2018: 3
Aug 2018: 5
Sept 2018: 5
Oct 2018: 12
Nov 2018: 13
Dec 2018: 18
Jan 2019: 30
Feb 2019: 23
Mar 2019: 22
Apr 2019: 16 (so far)

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
When you look at critical legs, note that EA just opened in Deming, NM. That allows an EV from Tucson to go 233 miles to Deming, NM, juice up, and continue 214 miles to Albuquerque, NM.

A Kona EV just did that in reverse, today's date.

OF COURSE, once you get near Tucson, there are many DCFC to choose from.

In Albuquerque, you will note very few DCFC.

But, at least, now, it is possible with hypermiling.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any way to post the coming soon sites (line 156) Phase 1 sites that are planned but not yet open (line 177) ?
You can list the coming soon sites on the EA web site.

1) Go to https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger
2) Zoom out until you see the full continental US. (you might need to click zoom out again to fill in all the sites)
3) Click on the filter icon
4) Uncheck "Site is live"

Total planned sites = open + coming soon + sites unannounced

There is no way to list the unannounced sites because the location is undetermined. That "unannounced" number is just derived from the other three known values. The number of total planned sites comes from an old article and I'm not sure if is still accurate.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You probably need to click "zoom out" again. That will refresh and you will see all "coming soon" sites.
Yes, that worked, thanks. I contacted them about putting a charger in the Montgomery, AL area since there's a charging desert between Atlanta, GA and Mobile, AL.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted them about putting a charger in the Montgomery, AL area since there's a charging desert between Atlanta, GA and Mobile, AL.
Yes, it looks like Elecrify America has ignored I-20 east of Dallas. They have announced sites on I-20 west of Dallas. Hopefully, a full buildout of I-20 will happen soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I applaud the creation of a site in Deming NM. Terry Hancock says one can then go from Tucson to the Deming site (233 miles) and then to Albuquerque (another 230 miles or so). He is more adventurous than I. In a Bolt at highway speeds neither of these links is likely. We still need a site between I10 and I40, probably something near Truth or Consequences NM. Something between Tucson and Deming is also needed for that first link. Terry is much more experienced, perhaps he knows something I don’t.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I applaud the creation of a site in Deming NM. Terry Hancock says one can then go from Tucson to the Deming site (233 miles) and then to Albuquerque (another 230 miles or so). He is more adventurous than I. In a Bolt at highway speeds neither of these links is likely. We still need a site between I10 and I40, probably something near Truth or Consequences NM. Something between Tucson and Deming is also needed for that first link. Terry is much more experienced, perhaps he knows something I don’t.
I agree that we need one between Las Cruces and Albuquerque. Maybe even in Socorro. There's a planned one in Benson Arizona, so that will help between Tucson and Deming. The EA website is being troublesome today and not showing planned locations for me. Noticed they added a live chat option though.

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
I just sent EA a submission requesting locations in Frostberg and/or McHenry, MD. Western MD is a fast charging desert for non-Teslas, as there is only 1 location I know of west of Hagerstown, MD (Hancock) that has a couple of CCS/CHAdeMO stations planned. Making a trip to the Deep Creek Lake is next to impossible in the winter, even in a Bolt, without serious compromises being made. An EA location in Frostberg (40 miles east of Deep Creek) or Deep Creek itself (or both) would be a huge boon to people traveling to the western parts of MD (and further west).
I encourage any MD'ers (or anyone, really) to contact EA about installing locations in Frostberg/McHenry, and not only would it open up Western MD, but also probably Pittsburgh and other locations north and west.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi - Thanks for this.

Some questions for you or others that may be following EA:

- Are there indications that true inter-city interstate very-small-town "just-passing through" type sites are more or less successful than sites that may serve both passing-through charging customers and local customers?

- For sites that are (over-simplifying) not just "passing through" type sites but which might serve some opportunity-charge type of purpose for locals, do they ever offer J1772 L2 alongside their CHAdeMO and CCS?

- I was on their site this week and noticed that their map would not show me the under-construction sites, only the active ones. To get an idea of under construction I had to go to plugshare and toggle the filters. Haver others seen this? If so, do we know if this information been communicated to the webmaster at EA? (I was a bit reluctant to do this myself yesterday, as I had already taken up some of their time this last week on something else).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi - Thanks for this.

Some questions for you or others that may be following EA:

- Are there indications that true inter-city interstate very-small-town "just-passing through" type sites are more or less successful than sites that may serve both passing-through charging customers and local customers?

- For sites that are (over-simplifying) not just "passing through" type sites but which might serve some opportunity-charge type of purpose for locals, do they ever offer J1772 L2 alongside their CHAdeMO and CCS?

- I was on their site this week and noticed that their map would not show me the under-construction sites, only the active ones. To get an idea of under construction I had to go to plugshare and toggle the filters. Haver others seen this? If so, do we know if this information been communicated to the webmaster at EA? (I was a bit reluctant to do this myself yesterday, as I had already taken up some of their time this last week on something else).
1) I'm not sure what you are asking about in your first question, but it seems that EA is currently focusing on long distance travel via the interstate highway system. It is doing some metro charging projects, but not much.

2) EA does have J1772 L2 chargers at 15 of their 151 open sites. I'm not sure how they decide, but it seems to me that it would make sense to put them at almost every site. The incremental cost would be quite low.

3) For the last couple of days, the "coming soon" sites have been missing from the EA web site. I'm not sure why but I expect that this will be fixed soon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really useful info, thank you for keeping track. I just experienced the best and worst of Electrify America heading from Boston, MA to Cleveland, OH and back.

Fredonia, NY and Girard, OH locations worked like a charm, but DuBois and Bloomsburg, PA were a nightmare (which is unfortunate, as those are the only DCFC along I-80 for some 300 miles in the entire state!) Thankfully State College, PA now has a couple of fast charge options that we fell back on, but that really put a damper on what has otherwise been a successful time on the network.

Oh well, growing pains and all that. Thanks again!

·
Registered
238 Posts
1) I'm not sure what you are asking about in your first question, but it seems that EA is currently focusing on long distance travel via the interstate highway system. It is doing some metro charging projects, but not much.

2) EA does have J1772 L2 chargers at 15 of their 151 open sites. I'm not sure how they decide, but it seems to me that it would make sense to put them at almost every site. The incremental cost would be quite low.

3) For the last couple of days, the "coming soon" sites have been missing from the EA web site. I'm not sure why but I expect that this will be fixed soon.
Ok, thanks much for the responses. Yes, that answered my question on #1 .

·
Registered
256 Posts
Really useful info, thank you for keeping track. I just experienced the best and worst of Electrify America heading from Boston, MA to Cleveland, OH and back.

Fredonia, NY and Girard, OH locations worked like a charm, but DuBois and Bloomsburg, PA were a nightmare (which is unfortunate, as those are the only DCFC along I-80 for some 300 miles in the entire state!) Thankfully State College, PA now has a couple of fast charge options that we fell back on, but that really put a damper on what has otherwise been a successful time on the network.

Oh well, growing pains and all that. Thanks again!

That's concerning for me to hear, as I would like to use those two chargers to get from central NJ to NE Ohio.

I've been monitoring the Plugshare scores for the two sites (I see your recent posts on Plugshare for those locations) and they started off bad but have been improving. I hope these locations become more reliable in the future.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts