Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those near an EA station and are still up, might be worth to swing by to see if it says "complimentary session" on it. Was like for for all a 3 DC FCs + the L2 EVSE at the SF Bay Area site I was at tonight (Fri 4/2 night). Had to swing by a fast food joint after driving over 150 miles. Lo and behold, they were set to free again.

Last time this happened was ~30 days ago (Complimentary charging on EA today in Tennessee...). Location is the same as before for me.

I picked up 41 kWh, charging to full. :)

Sorry, I could post as I was charging as I didn't have the password for this board on me.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They were again free tonight at that location and another one a few miles away. Couldn't stop to test the latter due to supermarket closing that I needed to be at. Went back to earlier location and topped off. Couldn't pick up much since I was pretty full.

Not sure what's going on w/them.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was still free today past 5 pm Pacific time at the station I'd used twice recently. As I was leaving, a gen 1 Leaf pulled up to use the CHAdeMO plug. He seemed to have no idea it'd be free. He plugged in and was for free charging when I left.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Perhaps a hint of the future? Free charging Spring and Fall when there is just so much energy fro solar, it's cheaper to give it away than store or pay another utility to take it! :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, if you do NOT see "complimentary session" on the screen, you will likely NOT get free juice. If it does, just plug in and follow the prompts. Do NOT use your credit card, phone, EA app, etc.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the DC FCs I was at were still free on Monday night. The J1772 EVSE wasn't though. In some of the earlier complimentary days (but not early March), the J1772 EVSE also said complimentary.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At this point, I wouldn't make a trip out to an EA station to look for free juice, but if you happen to pass by/near one and have a DC FC inlet, take a quick look for "complimentary session" on the display. If it's not there, just move on.

I figured that the free candy would've ended Monday morning, but to have it remain free Monday night is weird. I pinged a Bolt + Taycan owner who I know from charging encounters about it. He did go there last night and confirmed free DC FCing for his Bolt.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just checked my "favorite" EA site and the free candy is over. No more complimentary session on the display. I went to check the other site that was free Friday and it was over, as well.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I would have to drive 20 miles round trip to get the free juice. My Bolt is at 50% SOC right now, spending 30-60 min plus time for driving to get to 80% would get me to break-even if my labor and risk of accident was zero. I think I'll stay home today.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fortunately, there are 2 EA sites within 6 miles or so of home for me. I've got another within 9 miles of home and another about 10 miles away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got our "free" charge today. Timing worked out well, was down to around 30 miles left. Saw 51 kW being delivered as it charged, then dropped to 48ish around 50% charge and ran it to 90% (25kW) at the end. Sometimes I have an issue at these chargers, plug in and it charges around 10 minutes and then the charge rate drops off and back up and then it terminates the session. Disconnect and then reconnect and all is good.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts