Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
181 - 200 of 264 Posts

· Registered
2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier Redline
415 Posts
Yeah. Should say complimentary session before plugging in.

Then, you should get a message about Welcome, Driver or Welcome, Free along with something like "This session is complimentary, courtesy of Electrify America". It may show a price which you can ignore. When charging, the $ amount will go up but at the end, it'll show some $ value then a discount for that entire amount.

When you see "complimentary session", just plug in. Don't use their app, CC or NFC. Tonight in the Bay Area, I did see complimentary session still showing on stations from a distance. I didn't get out to double check, but it is very distinctive and in a certain part of the UI.

Here are some examples from previous times EA juice was free.
View attachment 46990
View attachment 46991
View attachment 46992
Exactly! Thanks for posting and Thank you EA!!

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier: sold back to GM Jan ‘23
2,677 Posts
I used an EA station in Marysville WA today, and was pleasantly surprised that it was free. I did what the screen said, plugged in first. By the time I plugged in and walked back to the screen, it had started charging, so I went back into the car and saw 40 kW being added, so just sat down to let it go. While I was there, an F150 Lightning was already plugged in, an Ioniq 5 and a Volvo came in and charged, so all four stations were in use. The Volvo didn't stay long, but I don't know if that was because they were only getting a quick splash or if the car charged that much faster. All stations were 150 kW, so the Ioniq wasn't getting a fill as fast as it's capable of, but it was still way faster than me. I was there for about 30 minutes, and went from 51% to 75%. I had the time to kill, but it sure would be nice to charge faster than that. The best I saw was 40 kW, and tapered to just under 30 kW before I unplugged.

Reactions: cwerdna

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier Launch Edition
1,120 Posts
I wonder if the Bolt actually does battery conditioning before charging if you route the car to the charging station.
Tesla and Porsche obviously would.

I was able to get 50kW for about 10 to 15 minutes before it tapers down to 40kW. Once I hit 60% SOC the best I got was 30 kW. So from 20% to 60% it was cruising (for a Bolt at least)
Then from 60% to 80% it was excrutiatingly slow at 30kW.

20% to 60% 20 minutes, 61% to 80% 30 minutes -- total of 50 minutes.
A Hyundai Ioniq 5 could do the whole session in 20 minutes. 🙄

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
I'm still seeing reports of EA free juice but a bunch of locations also seem to have numerous downed plugs. Examples below:

This was from me browsing Plugshare's activity feed.

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier: sold back to GM Jan ‘23
2,677 Posts
See my post a few above. Not only did I get a free charging session, but all four stations were occupied and working. Maybe there should be a plaque placed there, commemorating a fully operational station. :p

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
LOL! At a recent complimentary session visit, all 3 DC FCs were in use and working. Even a Leaf was there charging on the lone station w/CHAdeMO. Otherwise, it was me + an ID.4 then another ID.4 that took its place.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 · (Edited)
EA juice was still free tonight (9/18). I used it even though I didn't need it. It would save my work a bit of $.

Complimentary session was still visible along w/the software upgrade message. I took this tonight.
Font Display device Multimedia Electric blue Electronic device

Surprised I don't think I've see p7wang talk about runs to Vegas or even further, maybe across the country? ;)

· Registered
104 Posts
Got a free DCFC session with an EA unit by my work in almost rural Illinois. Based on the same screen as above and the end session screen this seems like a promo until the upgrades are completed rather than a glitch or hack.

This is a great promo set up to have the unit telling the user how much the charge would cost incase this is a person (like me) who has kept away from paid DCFC.

I did the rough math while I waited and at 25k miles that is about $3605 in gas cost of my last vehicle @26MPG plus $500 oil changes & $600 break job which equals $4700ish vs $2740ish for charging all the time on this type of paid DCFC

· Registered
415 Posts
Free session last night in Hermosa Beach California. Same screen as above in blue about the updating and was noted as a complementary session on one of the other screens. All five stations were working one was shown as unavailable and there was someone else charging when I was there. Thanks EA

· Registered
415 Posts
Party is over at EA in Hermosa Beach. Thank you EA for while it lasted. In fact it kind of worked out. I have some travel ahead, Just canceled my EVgo monthly subscription and I think I’m going to convert over to EA when I return. This facility is fantastic!

· Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,799 Posts
It's been a complete flip for us. Took a trip to Louisiana. Last week on the way down charging was complementary. This week coming back EA charged us for 2 sessions on our ID.4 account, which has unlimited free charging. Spent an hour on the phone with them today trying to get it cleared up.

ga2500ev

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
EA is sure losing a lot of revenue from a software upgrade that's taking so long.

Upper management at my company would be crying bloody murder if he we had such a long period of time where we couldn't collect $ from paying customers due to an upgrade. Heads would probably start rolling if something like that lasted more than a few days.

· Registered
707 Posts
EA is sure losing a lot of revenue from a software upgrade that's taking so long.

Upper management at my company would be crying bloody murder if he we had such a long period of time where we couldn't collect $ from paying customers due to an upgrade. Heads would probably start rolling if something like that lasted more than a few days.
My guess is that your company does not have a history of fraudulently cheating on diesel emission standards readings!?

· Registered
4,904 Posts
I don't think it's really the software issue that's causing the free money. I think they're trying to do it to gain some credibility from all the broken machines. In either case I would use electrify America because their prices are lowest. Everybody that I talk to said they'd get 45 MPG on those diesels which really means in terms of actual amount of pollution would be less than a Ferrari or Lamborghini or whatever.

181 - 200 of 264 Posts