Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
241 - 260 of 264 Posts

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Was free again tonight in the SF Bay Area. All DC FCs at the site I was at was showing complimentary session. I plugged in and got some juice while I was eating, even though I didn't need it.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
I think it is a little unfortunate (for CCS EV owners) that the adapter is available before SuC opens up for us. With EAs newest equipment, they are enabling power sharing which will perhaps mean a single inverter shared for two stalls, so expansion may be even less costly. BTW, shared power is probably a net positive since few EVs actually use the full 350kW. I understand shared power is primarily for the 350 units, and is dynamic, so as one EV slows at higher SOC, the second will see increasing charging speeds.-

But, it is low trip season, and presumably by next summer, a growing number of CCS sites will be available (due to NEVI funding), and SuC will be adding Magic Docks at more sites).
There are >3x the number of Teslas as other long-distance EVs in this country. It's pretty clear which end the bottlenecks are going to come from.

Meanwhile EA is now down to opening less than one new location a week in CA (22 total from Jan-June). Given the rate at which their units fail, I'd venture there are fewer operational EA units today than their were at the beginning of the year. Not exactly growing to meet demand.

· Registered
104 Posts
Still free as of 9am CT 10/2 in Illinois.

One of the 4 stations was not lit up green BUT the screen seemed to be normal. I always assumed the green light being on meant it was working and if it was off meant it was not. Anyone have input here?

· Administrator
5,988 Posts
There are >3x the number of Teslas as other long-distance EVs in this country. It's pretty clear which end the bottlenecks are going to come from.

Meanwhile EA is now down to opening less than one new location a week in CA (22 total from Jan-June). Given the rate at which their units fail, I'd venture there are fewer operational EA units today than their were at the beginning of the year. Not exactly growing to meet demand.
I spent 15 minutes talking to one of EA's QA execs at Fully Charged in San Diego a few weeks ago. He is quite aware and said one of their biggest problems is heat sensors in the handles that are failing and parts replacements are backed up due to supply chain issues. They have new units that seem to be designed for more reliable service (to be determined), and are stepping up maintenance. Nearly every site has infrastructure in place to expand, most sites at least 2X current size.

One suggestion I made is to put reboot functionality into the app, so if you pull into a site that is in use, and one or more stalls are failing, give users the option to reboot the unit from the app. Waiting 2-3 minutes vs calling CS would be faster, and reliability issues on a large number of outages could be solved by customers...he liked the idea!

The price attractiveness of EA and the new CCS adapter could bring a lot of additional traffic to EA sites, prompting them to pay more attention to reliability, and funding expansion. There is no place to go but up if EA is serious.

· Registered
4,904 Posts
The handle that I grabbed a few weeks ago must have been over 120 F. Tried to move it behind in shade. Rivian guy kept trying over and over. Geeze guy. 5 or 6 times? I told you it wasn't working.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
One of the 4 stations was not lit up green BUT the screen seemed to be normal. I always assumed the green light being on meant it was working and if it was off meant it was not. Anyone have input here?
No idea. At one local site, the green up top turned purple months ago but the station still works fine.

I do recall seeing some EA stations elsewhere where the station seemed totally powered off and I think its green light was also out.

Reactions: HuskieJohn

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
I think the free juice is finally over. A SF Bay Area EA BTC Power site that was free recently and that I'd used at least once during that period wasn't free any longer the night of 10/4/22.

· Registered
104 Posts
Yesterday my local EA station was being worked on during my lunch break. Looked like they were doing a major hardware changeout OR cleaning. They had each machine open as well as the substation next to it with many (10+) boxes (the size of an XL gaming PC tower) with 2 relatively huge built in fans on them.

Also to note the workers had a Mach-e which was why I suggested this MAY have only been a cleaning of the towers as there would not have been enough room for the 3 workers and all of those components. Then again they could have arrived in more than one vehicle and I was just fixated on the Mach-e for some reason...(drool)

· Registered
104 Posts
Since the hardware update on 10/4 at my closest EA station the free charging has stopped. I check back every few days trying 2 of the 4 chargers each time but no luck.

One oddity I have noticed is that some of the units are charging $0.31 per kWh and others are charging $0.43 both with $0.00 session fee...both not under the member tab.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Off topic but yesterday I decided while eating at IHOP I would plug in at a Chargepoint station there, everything went well, my app and the station said the session was $7.61, but it has never been deducted from my account, over a day later it still says “Pending”. Usually it is immediate.
oh and the EA in Bristol Va is not free any more.

· Registered
188 Posts
First time ever using EA stations yesterday in my new Bolt! -- on the way from Houston to DFW I tried both of the ones on the way (Madisonville and Ennis) neither were free, and the Ennis one had 2 of 4 chargers down, the only one that worked and gave full speed was poorly positioned for easily hooking into as well... gonna guess that's just a **** job of the line markings on the asphalt there though.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts