Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks to a hint via Plugshare activity feed about a complimentary session, I ventured out and it's free. The DC FCs and J1772 are showing complimentary session on them. Been DC FCing my Bolt.

I called them to report a station prob (broken tang on one and other handle that didn't work). They mentioned something about a provider having a global outage or something which is why (some?) stations are set to free.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Free electron while gas prices spiking. Would be good marketing move too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was on the way back from a Florida trip and ran into a complimentary charging session on Sunday night. No explanation, Just that this charging session was on them-- Happened at the DC Fast chargers at Gulport premium outlets.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got a report from a Bolt + Taycan driver I know of free EA juice in Gilroy, CA at charger #6. We don't know if it's more widespread.

Also saw a report on Plugshare in Livermore, CA EA at San Francisco Premium outlets of free juice.

I'm working from the office this week so I'm already getting free juice there.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
My charge in Vegas at South Premium Outlets on the weekend was free. I have no idea why. I saw something flash quickly on the screen and I thought it said something about free session but then it started running like a normally charged session. But when I check my account there's no charges in Vegas so I guess it was free. Does a free session show up in the "Public Charges" screen? Because I show nothing.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Looks like time for a road trip to Vegas!

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Looks like road trip to the Bay Area! :)

BTW, this looks like it won't start until midnight, so the free charging in Gilroy may be either another payment system issue or EA started the free charging early!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looks like road trip to the Bay Area! :)

BTW, this looks like it won't start until midnight, so the free charging in Gilroy may be either another payment system issue or EA started the free charging early!
I did try an EA station briefly on the way home (not in Gilroy) before midnight PST and although it didn't show the above message, it did show complimentary session and let me charge for free. I didn't use their app nor a CC. Just plugged in and followed the prompts.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Free charging on a holiday weekend likely to already swamp chargers... seems ill-timed.
Until the past month or two, the EA chargers in the area I frequented had NOBODY using them. Even then, they're not usually congested. Multiple vehicles there charging is really rare, unless it's a free charging day.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Until the past month or two, the EA chargers in the area I frequented had NOBODY using them. Even then, they're not usually congested. Multiple vehicles there charging is really rare, unless it's a free charging day.
So this could be a stress test by EA to see how the network handles surge of demand.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
149 Posts
Dang it!
We just went to a store right next to an empty 4 station EA charger in Sutherlin, Or.
Didn‘t even consider charging because it is too close to home !
Gotta work the weekend but may go back on Monday ( early ).

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Dang it!
We just went to a store right next to an empty 4 station EA charger in Sutherlin, Or.
Didn‘t even consider charging because it is too close to home !
Gotta work the weekend but may go back on Monday ( early ).
Only if it's on the way. It's not worth it for me (estimating wear and tear @ 10 cents mile) to drive out to an EA station for the free charge.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
So this could be a stress test by EA to see how the network handles surge of demand.
Check the app, I am seeing several "STATION FULL" status at some sites... south side of Las Vegas is one!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I can confirm the pic in the tweet in post 29. Saw it on EA DC FCs yesterday and took advantage of some free CCS juice.

At the site I was at, a Kona EV showed up (1st time for the person publicly charging, said they only had the car for two days, seemed to be her BF's car) and charged up. Afterward, a Bolt showed up in its place and charged.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
149 Posts
I went back today ( Monday ) and charged from 50% to 80%. Kudos to EA for this generous gesture.
It was easy ! Just plug in and the charge begins. Ironically, while I was plugging in, a lady in a Tesla M3 pulled up to the plug next to me and spent some time looking befuddled and then finally just got back in her car and took off.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I went back today ( Monday ) and charged from 50% to 80%. Kudos to EA for this generous gesture.
It was easy ! Just plug in and the charge begins. Ironically, while I was plugging in, a lady in a Tesla M3 pulled up to the plug next to me and spent some time looking befuddled and then finally just got back in her car and took off.
At least this time she went to an EV charging station... the last time, she was at the gas station. LOL

Reactions: jaymac
21 - 40 of 66 Posts