Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I called in to EA and inquired about the Barstow Walmart - yep the site is down! What timing... :0

Also, tried the Mojave Comfort Inn EA... turns out the hotel does not provide public restroom so bring an empty bottle or just avoid that station all together.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
One of the sites I was at in my city showed Unavailable w/red X's on the display for both handles.

The other two stations worked but the LCDs were worse than washed out by the sun, one was almost completely black except for some borders. The other was about 70% as a bad. I've been there are night before and not seen this prob. I'm guessing the LCDs on the EA BTC Power units are overheating due to direct sunlight + over 90 F outside temps and thus temporarily (hopefully) black.

Fortunately, since they were free, you could just plug in and they both just worked. If you had to navigate the UI on the screen... you were in a world of hurt. The app probably would've been ok.

I passed by this afternoon and from a brief look, nobody was there.

Funny that the one w/the totally working LCD (not being baked by the sun) was the n/a one.

Today on the way home, I stopped by a new site w/EA Signet (have used a few times before). Two ID.4s were there and a Taycan was behind me. I had to plug into the one w/CHAdeMO as nothing else would've been reachable/open.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
One of the sites I was at in my city showed Unavailable w/red X's on the display for both handles.
I kinda feel like we've reached peak charging infrastructure at this point and it's on the decline, with more and more failing stations that will outpace new installations. And it won't improve again until there's more of a real need.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hm... wonder if they took down Barstow for the weekend. Still shows all unavailable!
There's a distinction in the app between 'unavailable' and 'in-use'. Although it is occasionally the case that 'unavailable' stations in the app are available if you pay with credit card/NFC.

I kinda feel like we've reached peak charging infrastructure at this point and it's on the decline, with more and more failing stations that will outpace new installations. And it won't improve again until there's more of a real need.
They do usually fix them... eventually. My worry is that at least California is going to see a big jump in usage without a corresponding jump in availability. We'll see though...

I was able to charge for free on Friday at Willits and Garberville, and on Sunday at Garberville and Rohnert Park without difficulty. Good thing that Rohnert Park was free as the LCDs on at least 2 of the units were entirely unusable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can confirm. Beginning last night all EA stations I have come across have been free: Davis, CA, South Lake Tahoe, CA, Bridgeport, CA

I haven't seen a press release, but sounds like EA is matching the Tesla promotion. More than the price, this is awesome because I don't have to futz with the app for 10+ minutes to get the session activated.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
186 Posts
Can confirm. Beginning last night all EA stations I have come across have been free: Davis, CA, South Lake Tahoe, CA, Bridgeport, CA

I haven't seen a press release, but sounds like EA is matching the Tesla promotion. More than the price, this is awesome because I don't have to futz with the app for 10+ minutes to get the session activated.
Any reports for Southern California?

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I can confirm it's free here in the Bay Area. Taking advantage now. Shows complimentary session. Just plugged in and it started.

Time for p7wang to go to Vegas again?
Plotting on ABRP using 30-80% charge, takes 14 hours 14 min. Beware that the Baker station looks to be under upgrade, so stop by Clyde Kane Rest Stop N-Bound and Valley Wells Rest Stop N-bound for some top up.

Leave at 6am, get there a little after 8pm, just in time for the party to start. :)

BTW, the locals are leaving, so more room for inbound tourists. :) :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Got free juice at another EA station. That set had a screen that said "This charge is on us...", that they reserve the right to cancel or modify the offer at any time and that it runs from 3 am EDT Nov 24, 2021 to 3 am EDT Nov 29, 2021.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
I charged for free at 5 different EA sites this weekend so far, three in the South Bay area of the SF Bay Area (I've uesd those sites before, one numerous times). Two were in areas I've never been to before: Rohnert Park and Novato.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
61 - 80 of 82 Posts