Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 261 Posts

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I LOVE the Pearblossom Hiway route and drive it often just to go eat some BBQ at Charlie Brown's Farms in Littlerock!
Never heard of any of that before.

On a related note, part of why I was in the cities/towns I mentioned was to visit https://schulzmuseum.org/ which obviously focuses on Charlie Brown and Peanuts.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,870 Posts
I'll check it tomorrow. However, EA free charging is a non-issue now with the CALTRANS John Erreca Rest Stop N bound free charging open for business. On the Thanksgiving weekend, I was stuck at EA Baker for an hour while the lady tried to activate free charging... definitely a Terrible charging experience... on future free charging, I may only stop by the EA station only at my convenience, like just at Bakersfield and Gilroy.

BTW, with new charging limit, cannon ball runs, at least Bay Area to Vegas, is very doable again. Charge to 70%, drain to 20%... much better than previous charge to 85% and drain to 35%...

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
It seems over now. Dropped by a station I used last night and complimentary session is gone.

· Registered
407 Posts
However, EA free charging is a non-issue now with the CALTRANS John Erreca Rest Stop N bound free charging open for business...
It this a different free DCFC CALTRANS station than the one I tested up in Kettleman City I-5 exit at Hiway-41?

When I told my ex-wife that I drove up there to test the new free charging station (stopping first to pick up some BBQ to go at Bravo Farms), she replied: "But didn't you use up all of the free electricity just to get home (to Los Angeles)?" :LOL:

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,870 Posts
It this a different free DCFC CALTRANS station than the one I tested up in Kettleman City I-5 exit at Hiway-41?

When I told my ex-wife that I drove up there to test the new free charging station (stopping first to pick up some BBQ to go at Bravo Farms), she replied: "But didn't you use up all of the free electricity just to get home (to Los Angeles)?" :LOL:
Different stop. Further north.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Wow. Friend told me about complimentary EA sessions in Soledad, CA at 10:58 pm Pacific. I was L2 charging for free nearby and had my Messages app notifications turned off.

Finally saw his iMessage and can confirm that at an EA site here in Silicon Valley, it's free, so I'm using that now. Unfortunately, 3 out of 4 CCS handles have broken tabs. This has happened a bunch here and a nearby EA and EVgo site. I and my friend have spotted this before at these sites and called them in before.

Reactions: p7wang

· Registered
127 Posts
On 12/21 at 10pm, EA EV chargers were set to free in Davis, CA. I’m heading down to Southern California by way of the Central Valley, will report back if these stations are free.
Edit #1: Madera EA station also free.
Edit #2: Bakersfield EA station free.
Edit #3: Mojave EA station fee as of 12/22 @ 6:44pm
Edit#4: Hesperia EA charger free on 12/23.

I'm thinking this is a repeat of the thanks giving holiday with all EA stations free in CA (maybe elsewhere too???).

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I see a report on Plugshare of free EA charging at Selma, CA. Was posted in the last 20 minutes.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
On 12/21 at 10pm, EA EV chargers were set to free in Davis, CA. I’m heading down to Southern California by way of the Central Valley, will report back if these stations are free.
Edit #1: Madera EA station also free.
Since you're going that way, once EA flips back to paid, you can use these for free: New Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers Now Available Along State Highways in Central California | Caltrans. I used those for most of my charging in both directions between the Bay Area and Torrance.

Definitely check Plugshare first. Fresno Caltrans chargers (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You) might mostly not work due to copper thieves so I skipped that.

Reactions: xylhim

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Although it ended for some people, it was still free tonight at another EA site on at 9:26 pm 12/22. I picked up juice while eating. After eating and shopping, I stopped by the EA site nearest home and it was free at 10:22 pm, so I picked up more juice.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Someone posted a screenshot at
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevyboltevowners/posts/3023933171251622/
(private group) showing that some EAs stations are showing "This session is on us..." mentioning that select (not all) stations have free charging from Dec 22 3 am EDT to 3 am EDT Jan 3. And, as usual, they reserve the right to cancel or modify the offer at anytime.

Some folks confirmed receiving free juice and some no. Someone called EA support and they wrote:
"I called EA. There was a very few chargers in the network set to free charging. Those units were having some firmware work done. Not all (mine included)were part of the feebies."

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,870 Posts
Code:
(private group) showing that some EAs stations are showing "This session is on us..." mentioning that select (not all) stations have free charging from Dec 22 3 am EDT to 3 am EDT Jan 3. And, as usual, they reserve the right to cancel or modify the offer at anytime.

Some folks confirmed receiving free juice and some no. Someone called EA support and they wrote:
"I called EA. There was a very few chargers in the network set to free charging. Those units were having some firmware work done. Not all (mine included)were part of the feebies."
Intermittent reward theory, why are we salivating? LOL

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Code:

Ok. I saw what was in that screenshot myself at one of the sites on Thursday night. That site wasn't showing it on previous days.

I DC FCed for free that night at two sites but only one was showing that message. One was BTC Power and the other was Signet. IIRC, I saw someone on Plugshare post those dates at another location which had ABB.

81 - 100 of 261 Posts