Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
121 - 140 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, 2021 Audi e-tron Prestige , 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S
274 Posts
They they need a 50 page disclaimer when they announce free charging. LOL
This reminds me of those Krispy Kreme e-gift cards. Only valid at company owned stores and not at franchises. Meaning, not worth the paper/ink it's printed on.
Something like that lol.
to be honest I’m not sure if this going to a trend with EA operating sites like this but I wish they would.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Receied an email today from EA:
"Charging with us this Earth Day? You should.
Visit one of 740+ participating Electrify America ultra-fast charging station on Earth Day and receive a free charging session.*No promo code needed—just pull up, plug in, and get going.
*Limited time offer. Electrify America reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time. Offer valid in the United States between 12:01 a.m. EST on 4/22/2022 and 3:00 a.m. EST on 4/23/22. Offer valid for select public chargers on the Electrify America network, excluding NYPA EVolve NY and APS-affiliated stations. On participating chargers all you need to do is plug-in and follow the prompts. At participating chargers, no promotion code is needed; simply plug-in and follow the charger’s on screen prompts. See www.electrifyamerica.com/earthday for excluded stations."

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
I've been seeing some reports on Plugshare here and there of free EA charging today and yesterday. Not sure how widespread it is.

Examples:
Update: I swung by a set of EA chargers earlier tonight since I had to be in that area anyway. Only looked at the DC FCs but none were showing complimentary session.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been seeing some reports on Plugshare here and there of free EA charging today and yesterday. Not sure how widespread it is.

Examples:
Update: I swung by a set of EA chargers earlier tonight since I had to be in that area anyway. Only looked at the DC FCs but none were showing complimentary session.
Thanks for swinging by the EA stations to check and keeping us in the forum updated when there's free charging sessions. I'm a few miles to one but not exactly on my way.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I checked two EA sites tonight, one was BTC Power and other was Signet. Neither was showing complimentary session.

I only bothered trying to plug into the latter and there was no free juice.

At the first site, I saw a BMW i4 eDrive40 All-Electric Luxury Gran Coupe for the first time in the wild. It was DC FCing and I saw it at 81 kW. I don't recall his SoC % but IIRC, I think it was at least 60ish or 70% on a 150 kW charger.

·
Administrator
4,836 Posts
At the first site, I saw a BMW i4 eDrive40 All-Electric Luxury Gran Coupe for the first time in the wild. It was DC FCing and I saw it at 81 kW. I don't recall his SoC % but IIRC, I think it was at least 60ish or 70% on a 150 kW charger.
I had a similar experience in Feb. at the EA in Green River, UT. i4 was charging at similar speeds, similar SOC. The driver said it reached something like 120kW at peak as I recall. He was driving it from LA to Bemidji, MN to do cold weather testing.

Sweet looking car (no cammo):
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky
Sky Plant Road surface Building Asphalt

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
110 Posts
i had one of those earlier this week at an EA at a Target in Huntington Beach. The session was free for about 15 or 20 minutes. Then stopped. When I tried to restart, I did have to pay for the last 15 minutes but it was like $3.00 for the entire charging session.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I waited behind a Rivian and he said after 2 hours EA just opened all of them at the site since they couldn't seem to get his going. I saved maybe $8 or so. Made me happier. Next EA charger on road didn't work. Made me angry.

Usually they send email or publish on their site for free weekends.

Seems on Twit they said till 9/6 or something.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I think they might be doing system maintenance, Software update maybe???My son got to charge his Livewire for free at one in Florida today.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
For those in CA, I recommend you avoid doing it from 4 pm to 9 pm today (9/9) due to Flex Alert: energy conservation tips, save energy on high demand days in California going on right now.
So there will be people getting free electricity for their EV while others get the electricity shut off at their home. That'll be a story on Fox.

Which begs the question; Do you think there will be a day when California or anyplace else will force commercial EV chargers to be switched off during peak times?

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,408 Posts
So there will be people getting free electricity for their EV while others get the electricity shut off at their home. That'll be a story on Fox.

Which begs the question; Do you think there will be a day when California or anyplace else will force commercial EV chargers to be switched off during peak times?
EV charging should probably be charged market price, like sea food. That'll get everyone upset... instead of gas prices changing week to week, we have electricity prices changing by the minute. LOL

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
See the EA twitter blob. Supposed to end today.

Yes, almost every evse either has or will have a smart grid connection. Electric companies can offer incentives like they do for AC and hot water heater use and things like backup heat strips.
My new heat pump water heater has smart connection.

Austin's fleet chargers are set to follow the Austin Power demand. I used one and only got 1kWh green while powered on with AC. Just left.

My electric co-op has their on site evse's prices according to time of day and they could easily change that display for their demands.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
306 Posts
See the EA twitter blob. Supposed to end today.

Yes, almost every evse either has or will have a smart grid connection. Electric companies can offer incentives like they do for AC and hot water heater use and things like backup heat strips.
My new heat pump water heater has smart connection.

Austin's fleet chargers are set to follow the Austin Power demand. I used one and only got 1kWh green while powered on with AC. Just left.

My electric co-op has their on site evse's prices according to time of day and they could easily change that display for their demands.
Thanks I checked on Twitter and in fact it was actually free. I’m charging right now appreciate the tip!

121 - 140 of 201 Posts