Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
141 - 160 of 264 Posts

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I can confirm it was free in my city in the Bay Area. I tried it on the way home past 11 pm.

It was showing a full screen message about system upgrades but also said complimentary session. I encountered a brand new Lucid Air DC FCing w/o permanent plates. I talked briefly to the driver before he left. He seemed like an EV n00b. He also had free charging anyway due to Lucid so he hadn't realized what the complimentary session message meant and that I just plugged in and it started right up.

I wonder how long it'll be free for.

· Registered
707 Posts
So there will be people getting free electricity for their EV while others get the electricity shut off at their home. That'll be a story on Fox.
No one got shut off due to "rolling blackouts" this last week of extreme heat in California.

The voluntary Flex-Alert from 4pm - 9pm or 10pm, did its job with enough cutbacks to avoid rolling blackouts.

The reported power outages were equipment issues due to the extreme heat.

Flex Alert Ends Without Rolling Blackouts
Font Line Terrestrial plant Screenshot Technology

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
^^^
I knew about Palo Alto, Healdsburg and I think Alameda as it made local news, but didn't know about the additional 3 cities. I'm guessing that + Morgan Hill Residents Demand Answers After Four Nights of Power Outages + other outages kept us from rolling blackouts.

I can confirm that EA was free again tonight at a different site. The station I was using had both locking tangs broken. It's happened there and another EA BTC Power site numerous times. I did call it into EA. I was able to charge despite that but it's riskier. I made sure to stop it from the DC FC first and avoid the cable (to avoid knocking it loose).

I didn't need the juice but I guess I can save my work a bit of $ since normally, almost all my EV juice is for free from work.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I tried EA yesterday around 6pm in PA and while it showed a price, I have still yet to see a charge pop up on my credit card. By contrast, I tried EVgo this morning and the charge popped up on my credit card immediately (authorization and then final charge after stopping the charge).

EDIT: P.S. Did you know the Bolt has its own "Stop" button for DCFC? It's not easy to find, but you can force-stop DCFC from inside the Bolt using the Infotainment screen.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV (06/21) LT w/ Driver Confidence Package. Almost trouble free.
556 Posts
Knowing where to find this is more important than you might think: I've had to use the infotainment screen stop button on at least occasion when the DCFC charger malfunctioned, the handle wouldn't release from the car, and the stop button on the station didn't work.

· Registered
2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier Redline
415 Posts
Knowing where to find this is more important than you might think: I've had to use the infotainment screen stop button on at least occasion when the DCFC charger malfunctioned, the handle wouldn't release from the car, and the stop button on the station didn't work.
What are the steps on the infotainment system to find it. I guess first select energy, (I guess I’ll look more when I’m in the car)

· Registered
556 Posts
What are the steps on the infotainment system to find it. I guess first select energy, (I guess I’ll look more when I’m in the car)
Don't recall the exact steps now and would have to verify the next time I'm charging at a DCFC, but yes: It was definitely somewhere in the energy screen.

· Registered
415 Posts
Don't recall the exact steps now and would have to verify the next time I'm charging at a DCFC, but yes: It was definitely somewhere in the energy screen.
I’m currently not charging but I went through all the different tabs on the screen under energy and I couldn’t find anything. Perhaps it only pops up while you’re charging. I’ll check again next time. Thanks for pointing that out

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,643 Posts
I’m currently not charging but I went through all the different tabs on the screen under energy and I couldn’t find anything. Perhaps it only pops up while you’re charging. I’ll check again next time. Thanks for pointing that out
Yes, energy screen on the charging tab. I think it only appears during charging but, that is all I ever use...I guess I saw the buttons on the charger but was thinking that was more of an emergency disconnect? Anyway I am normally sitting in the car and just stop it when I get to the % that Energy Assist tells me I am supposed to be at.

Reactions: FlyingMachineEV

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Yes, energy screen on the charging tab. I think it only appears during charging but, that is all I ever use...I guess I saw the buttons on the charger but was thinking that was more of an emergency disconnect? Anyway I am normally sitting in the car and just stop it when I get to the % that Energy Assist tells me I am supposed to be at.
Maybe. I saw some physical red buttons on some stations, but EVgo has a UI button to stop charging. You go into EVgo's menu on the station and you can press "Stop" to stop charging. You can also do it from their app. I learned that the Bolt can do this just yesterday.

· Registered
556 Posts
Maybe. I saw some physical red buttons on some stations, but EVgo has a UI button to stop charging. You go into EVgo's menu on the station and you can press "Stop" to stop charging. You can also do it from their app. I learned that the Bolt can do this just yesterday.
In my case - ChargePoint - it malfunctioned part way through charging, the stop button on the station didn't work, and the handle wouldn't let go. I didn't try the phone app; it seemed quicker to just hit the stop button in the car, unlocking the handle.

Reactions: cwerdna

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Yes. I've used the stop button on the infotainment system. I've only seen it when charging.
I no longer have a Bolt but I still had some videos I'd taken. This screenshot from it shows it.
Product Gadget Font Communication Device Material property

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 · (Edited)
I was at a 3rd EA site tonight and juice was free. So, it's been 3 days in a row.

All 3 DC FCs were working. Leaf was using CHAdeMO. ID.4 was using a CCS handle w/broken locking tang. I called it in. Other handle was fine on that station.

I used another DC FC and directed the next ID.4 to use the handle w/the non-broken tang. The 2nd ID.4 driver said he noticed it was free yesterday.

I saw his car at around 131 kW, peaking at 134 kW and when I left he was still at above 120 kW.

· Registered
415 Posts
I was at a 3rd EA site tonight and juice was free. So, it's been 3 days in a row.

All 3 DC FCs were working. Leaf was using CHAdeMO. ID.4 was a CCS handle w/broken locking tang. I called it in. Other handle was fine on that station.

I used another DC FC and directed the next ID.4 to use the handle w/the non-broken tang. The 2nd ID.4 driver said he noticed it was free yesterday.

I saw his car at around 131 kW, peaking at 134 kW and when I left he was still at above 120 kW.
I’m a little jealous of those speeds. Thanks for the update. I’m going to check it out once again today as well

141 - 160 of 264 Posts