Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 264 Posts

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier: sold back to GM Jan ‘23
2,677 Posts
No one got shut off due to "rolling blackouts" this last week of extreme heat in California.
We had two air traffic control towers that had their power shut off last week. One was in the Bay area, the other in central CA. Both towers had to close early because the cab became too hot to work in. Towers in smaller facilities don't have backup generators.

· Registered
707 Posts
We had two air traffic control towers that had their power shut off last week. One was in the Bay area, the other in central CA. Both towers had to close early because the cab became too hot to work in. Towers in smaller facilities don't have backup generators.
You left out the part of my quote that said:

The reported power outages were equipment issues due to the extreme heat.

· Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
You left out the part of my quote that said:
The two towers I mentioned had their commercial power turned off. So it was a rolling power outage. They only had to shut down because the indoor temps were no longer bearable. The equipment didn't fail, their power was turned off.

· Registered
707 Posts
I'm not sure who "we" are, but do you have a link to anything to show that this was related to a Cal-ISO required shutdown? Or are you just giving us this information as a FWIW?

Because the information I have read (and linked) indicate to the contrary; i.e., there were no mandated rolling blackouts by Cal-ISO last week.

· Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
I'm not sure who "we" is
I work for the FAA. I won't go into more detail than that. Commercial power was lost at those two facilities. We understood it was not accidental, but it's always possible we didn't receive accurate information.

· Registered
707 Posts
I work for the FAA. I won't go into more detail than that. Commercial power was lost at those two facilities. We understood it was not accidental, but it's always possible we didn't receive accurate information.
Using Google, I came up with this "headline" in the Sacramento Bee, but it requires a subscription to read the article.

I think the headline answers the question why your two towers had their electricity shut off, without it being a rolling blackout.

Not having backup generators, I agree that these two facilities were under an unfortunate situation:

California’s grid, SMUD avoid rolling blackouts but several small cities shed load ‘in error’

Related to EVs, California should fund Tesla-Style home batteries for homes to charge up at night when electricity is cheaper and use them during Flex-Alerts in the future. As you know "used" EV batteries can also function in this regard.

This plan has better cost efficiencies and carbon reductions in view of the alternative: build more natural gas firing plants to cover 4pm - 9pm.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,285 Posts
Missed opportunity for V2G. Heck, a doctor powered his clinic for a snip snip. LOL

· Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
Missed opportunity for V2G. Heck, a doctor powered his clinic for a snip snip. LOL
All towers have battery powered backup radios and light guns. But the landlines may or may not have backup, and HVAC would be next to impossible to run from battery backup for any significant length of time. The Enroute facility I used to work in had enough generator power to run the entire town, but you can't afford for the larger facilities to go off line, so they all have generators. A Tesla Megawall would provide enough power, but without recharging ability you still couldn't depend on them for a long term power outage. You can always refuel a diesel generator(s), even if you have to use a helicopter to fly the fuel in. I'd hate to think of the cost per kWh, but in emergency conditions you do what you have to.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
BTW, we might want to continue California-specific power, CAISO, rolling blackouts done by mistake, and the like into one of the CA threads.

I mainly intended for people to report on free EA juice or to try to figure out if/when it's regional (free in some places but not in others).

Reactions: VoltoBolt

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
I'm seeing reports that it's still free in AZ today on FB groups. Ditto for a report on Plugshare in Sacramento.

· Registered
707 Posts
So there will be people getting free electricity for their EV while others get the electricity shut off at their home. That'll be a story on Fox.
BTW, we might want to continue California-specific power, CAISO, rolling blackouts done by mistake, and the like into one of the CA threads.
Capt Ross said:
Your honor, it's become obvious that MisterJJ's intentions this afternoon are to smear a high ranking Marine officer in the desperate hope that the mere appearance of impropriety will win him points with the court members. Now, it is my recommendation, sir, that MisterJJ be reprimanded for his conduct and that this witness be excused with the court's deepest apologies.
With apologies to Kevin Bacon and Aaron Sorkin in "A Few Good Men" :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
I'm still seeing reports today in Plugshare's activity feed of free EA juice and complimentary sessions.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 · (Edited)
Waco had message about software upgrades. EA said plug in.
Plugged in and it started to work. In end went back to normal screen.
Showed cost then gave credit to be free.
Yeah. Should say complimentary session before plugging in.

Then, you should get a message about Welcome, Driver or Welcome, Free along with something like "This session is complimentary, courtesy of Electrify America". It may show a price which you can ignore. When charging, the $ amount will go up but at the end, it'll show some $ value then a discount for that entire amount.

When you see "complimentary session", just plug in. Don't use their app, CC or NFC. Tonight in the Bay Area, I did see complimentary session still showing on stations from a distance. I didn't get out to double check, but it is very distinctive and in a certain part of the UI.

Here are some examples from previous times EA juice was free.
Gadget Font Gas Communication Device Multimedia

Font Computer Gadget Screenshot Display device

Gadget Font Computer Communication Device Display device

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier Launch Edition
1,120 Posts
D'oh I may have actually paid for a complimentary session. I was fooled by the $0.43/kWh and didn't bother to look at the details. I noticed that it started charging right away before I input any information. I was afraid I had to pay the full rate of $0.43/kWh.
I ended up activating the session with my phone and was charged my usual $0.31/kWh.

· Registered
4,904 Posts
The Waco screens were mostly showing software update messages making you think that it won't start. Two were very offline. I spoke with EA before I left to make sure it was online and asked about that screen. That is when they said to just try it. I think if you are first after upgrade then it shows it?? After it went to the posted photos.
My Texas pricing was a trivial amount quoted as free compared to EvGo and Chargepoint typical amounts. We need more EA stations like that!!!!!!

161 - 180 of 264 Posts