Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set to free)

45K views 269 replies 38 participants last post by  cwerdna 
#1 ·
For those near an EA station and are still up, might be worth to swing by to see if it says "complimentary session" on it. Was like for for all a 3 DC FCs + the L2 EVSE at the SF Bay Area site I was at tonight (Fri 4/2 night). Had to swing by a fast food joint after driving over 150 miles. Lo and behold, they were set to free again.

Last time this happened was ~30 days ago (Complimentary charging on EA today in Tennessee...). Location is the same as before for me.

I picked up 41 kWh, charging to full. :)

Sorry, I could post as I was charging as I didn't have the password for this board on me.

#252 ·
I think the free juice is finally over. A SF Bay Area EA BTC Power site that was free recently and that I'd used at least once during that period wasn't free any longer the night of 10/4/22.

#253 ·
Yesterday my local EA station was being worked on during my lunch break. Looked like they were doing a major hardware changeout OR cleaning. They had each machine open as well as the substation next to it with many (10+) boxes (the size of an XL gaming PC tower) with 2 relatively huge built in fans on them.

Also to note the workers had a Mach-e which was why I suggested this MAY have only been a cleaning of the towers as there would not have been enough room for the 3 workers and all of those components. Then again they could have arrived in more than one vehicle and I was just fixated on the Mach-e for some reason...(drool)

#257 ·
Since the hardware update on 10/4 at my closest EA station the free charging has stopped. I check back every few days trying 2 of the 4 chargers each time but no luck.

One oddity I have noticed is that some of the units are charging $0.31 per kWh and others are charging $0.43 both with $0.00 session fee...both not under the member tab.

#259 ·
Off topic but yesterday I decided while eating at IHOP I would plug in at a Chargepoint station there, everything went well, my app and the station said the session was $7.61, but it has never been deducted from my account, over a day later it still says “Pending”. Usually it is immediate.
oh and the EA in Bristol Va is not free any more.

#260 ·
First time ever using EA stations yesterday in my new Bolt! -- on the way from Houston to DFW I tried both of the ones on the way (Madisonville and Ennis) neither were free, and the Ennis one had 2 of 4 chargers down, the only one that worked and gave full speed was poorly positioned for easily hooking into as well... gonna guess that's just a **** job of the line markings on the asphalt there though.

#262 ·
#263 ·
2 of 4 stations at the below are showing complimentary session. Using 1 now. It’s 2 of the next gen units doing this.

Harden Ranch Plaza - Walmart
1800 North Main St., Salinas, California, 93906, US

#264 · (Edited)
Someone at Chevy Bolt EV and EUV Owners Group | Facebook posted
Gadget Communication Device Font Gas Mobile device

which shows begin and end dates. My local station in the South Bay part of the SF Bay Area on the DC FCs didn't show this but at least 2 out of 4 stations were showing complimentary session. I got some free juice. I don't know about the other 2 as they were in use.

Unknown how widespread free EA juice is.

Update: Definitely not system-wide free. Another site I dropped by tonight in the Bay Area (BTC Power) wasn't free. The original station that I referred to as local to me (Signet "v2") remained free. All 4 stations there were showing complimentary.

#267 · (Edited)
#270 ·
I saw some more reports on Bolt FB groups of free juice on Friday but I think it's over now. I stopped by one EA site on the way home after midnight Saturday morning and there was not complimentary session showing on the two not in use stations. I didn't need juice anyway and my SoC was already pretty high (at ~85%). I should have more than enough to get thru the weekend before going to work on Monday.