Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

101 - 120 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I-10 all the way from Jacksonville is pretty well filled out by EA. While the North/South routes through are inaccessible, East/West travel is possible by driving south to I-10 then taking it across. A possible Atlanta route currently is to drive south through Columbus down to Chipley, FL. Plugshare is showing a CCS station in Columbus. But there are no checkins, so it's unclear if it's actually working.

Still looking for opinions of whether anyone would simply skip the trip if the fastest DCFC along the route in the desert was 25-30 kW DCFC. If it were once in a awhile and I really wasn't in a hurry, I'd probably chance it as it's just sucking up some time.

ga2500ev
I have used L2 to escape the CCS desert (pre- Electrify America) doing a 3 hour charge on a crappy Blink L2 charger in Memphis, TN to reach the nearest CCS (at that time, Nashville, TN 195 miles away from the Blink L2 station) in order to road trip to Coco Beach Florida from North East Arkansas. Now there is an EA station in Memphis, and one about half way between Memphis and Nashville in Jackson TN... thank you EA! I sometimes feel guilty for being happy about Dieselgate :D

So, since most people consider road tripping in a Bolt crazy I don't think using 25 KW CCS makes you any crazier...

Keith

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Keep in mind if it is 50 degrees F or less, your car won't charge faster than 38kw anyways.
The it in the above sentence is the battery. Preconditioning and driving at speed may help the battery be warmer than 50 ℉ even when it is much cooler than that outside.

Similarly, a Bolt that has sat overnight in freezing conditions may have a colder battery even if the outside temperature has warmed up a bit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I did a big road trip EA was the predominant station option. I had several issues:
1. The cable not long enough to comfortably connect to car, and in some places the concrete barrier/parking stopper was so large I had to squeeze the car between for the cable to reach
2. Many times at new stations some stalls just didn't work no matter what I did had to go to a different stall to work.
3. Weird issues where couldn't use the phone to pay and thankfully had the RFID card which helped. Was very odd so many issues.
Is the RFID available now?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I-10 all the way from Jacksonville is pretty well filled out by EA. While the North/South routes through are inaccessible, East/West travel is possible by driving south to I-10 then taking it across. A possible Atlanta route currently is to drive south through Columbus down to Chipley, FL. Plugshare is showing a CCS station in Columbus. But there are no checkins, so it's unclear if it's actually working.

Still looking for opinions of whether anyone would simply skip the trip if the fastest DCFC along the route in the desert was 25-30 kW DCFC. If it were once in a awhile and I really wasn't in a hurry, I'd probably chance it as it's just sucking up some time.

ga2500ev
I've had to rely on a 24 kW DCFC in Price, UT to bridge the gap between Grand Junction, CO and Spanish Fork, UT. It's about 3 miles outside of town, so we rode our e-bikes into town for lunch while charging. I have contacted EA about putting a charger in Green River, UT which would cover the gap to Spanish Fork or Richfield, UT and one in Santa Rosa, NM to cover the Amarillo, TX to Albuquerque, NM gap. They actually responded and said they would consider it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've had to rely on a 24 kW DCFC in Price, UT to bridge the gap between Grand Junction, CO and Spanish Fork, UT. It's about 3 miles outside of town, so we rode our e-bikes into town for lunch while charging.
Care to share any session data? How much time did the charging session take? What was the starting and ending SOC? Approximately how many kWh were transferred?

I'm always interested in the comparison to charging with 24 kW DCFC as compared to L2 and how much time was saved using one over the other.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
268 Posts
EA Is terrible. I’ve tried maybe five or six times and each time I’ve had to call after the machines failed four of five times per attempt. Most of the time it’s because the machine won’t take my payment and I have to call in. Then most of the time they reset the machine and it starts working. One other time they said the machine was broken and I needed to move, but I hung up on them instead of testing another machine for them.

EVGO has been perfect for me and if I can wait a lot longer, ChargePoint and Volta are great as well.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
EA Is terrible. I’ve tried maybe five or six times and each time I’ve had to call after the machines failed four of five times per attempt. Most of the time it’s because the machine won’t take my payment and I have to call in. Then most of the time they reset the machine and it starts working. One other time they said the machine was broken and I needed to move, but I hung up on them instead of testing another machine for them.

EVGO has been perfect for me and if I can wait a lot longer, ChargePoint and Volta are great as well.
EA is wonderful, I have never had a charging site failure since the advent of the EA app. I never have to call tech support now. I have been relegated to a 3 hour L2 charge by a chargepoint failure, and almost got stranded by EVgo.

Keith

PS: I am sure that you have seen people on several occasions say that getting the app solves the payment problem... if you chose not to do so that is not a failure on EA's part.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
EA Is terrible. I’ve tried maybe five or six times and each time I’ve had to call after the machines failed four of five times per attempt. Most of the time it’s because the machine won’t take my payment and I have to call in.
EA seems to have a bad reputation for its credit card processing. I guess it's a good news/bad news type of deal - at least they accept credit cards, but unfortunately they don't work...

Have you considered setting up an account and putting a credit card on file? It would eliminate that major source of problems.

·
Registered
557 Posts
EA seems to have a bad reputation for its credit card processing. I guess it's a good news/bad news type of deal - at least they accept credit cards, but unfortunately they don't work...

Have you considered setting up an account and putting a credit card on file? It would eliminate that major source of problems.
I have an account with my credit card on file and that hasn't worked for me either. I've had the most luck by swiping (not inserting) my card.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just thought I would post that I just did a round trip 1200 mile trip in my Bolt (Maryland to KY, through Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, and Bloomington IN). I used EA chargers on I70 most times (about 8 times). Here are my impressions.
1. I never had to call EA and successfully charged every time
2. From past experiences I leaned that the app is important both for payment and it also says how many stations are available.
3. With a bolt hold the handle up
4. Parking close and at the best angle to the cord is important, especially in the cold. The cords get very hard to use below about 20F
5. When possible I find it easier to use the cord from behind the charger, (so you can't see the screen), especially when I is very cold (below 10F)
6. I use the Plugshare app and the EA app to see which chargers at each station are most likely to work. Its not unusual for most of the stations to me useless
7. I always leave feedback on Plugshare
8. In general EA seems to have done a good job with the distance between stations so that you can charge from about 10%-60% when it is cold out.

Not perfect, but I'm a fan, I tend to use EA unless free charging is near by.

·
Registered
525 Posts
PS: I am sure that you have seen people on several occasions say that getting the app solves the payment problem... if you chose not to do so that is not a failure on EA's part.
I don't think that you can let EA off scott free because there is a more reliable alternative. If the machine has a card reader on it, it should work reliably just like millions of other card readers. EA should work diligently to fix the issue once and for all.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I just thought I would post that I just did a round trip 1200 mile trip in my Bolt (Maryland to KY, through Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, and Bloomington IN).
Seems like you were out in severe cold. How was the charging speed in those conditions? Were you able to warm up your Bolt before heading out so the battery would be at a better temperature?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I don't think that you can let EA off scott free because there is a more reliable alternative. If the machine has a card reader on it, it should work reliably just like millions of other card readers. EA should work diligently to fix the issue once and for all.

ga2500ev
All this stuff is for lack of better wording "fuel to the fire" true ICE believer / EV doubters. I can hear it all now "See tech just not ready ... Can't charge ever ... Have to wait 50 hours to charge ... takes a computer degree to drive" etc etc etc

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

ga2500ev
Oh, don't get me wrong, they need to up their game! The person most likely to try and use the EA chargers using the credit card swiper is a NEW owner of an EV... the worst person to give a bad impression to? A NEW Bolt or other EV owner.

They need to replace the credit card readers on ALL of their chargers with ones used in gas pumps. Those things seem to be dead on reliable.

The problem I have is with people who have been on this forum for months / years (not new people) who don't know anything about Electrify America chargers and how to get them to reliably work with the Bolt.

Keith

·
Registered
281 Posts
Seems like you were out in severe cold. How was the charging speed in those conditions? Were you able to warm up your Bolt before heading out so the battery would be at a better temperature?
[
Most of the drive was at 10-20F. the charging seemed to start slow and get faster until the taper started. I warmed up the cabin (and battery) for about 5-10 minutes before starting out and drove with no heat except to clear the windshield. The only thing that was annoying was the hit to range. at 80% charge I was at ~120-130 miles. but this worked OK because of the spacing of fast charging stations. I really do like my Bolt as a highway car and it is great to be listening to Pandora and using Google maps as you drive down the road

·
Registered
103 Posts
They need to replace the credit card readers on ALL of their chargers with ones used in gas pumps. Those things seem to be dead on reliable.
I've noticed that gas pumps always have roofs over them, but I've never seen an EA charger under a roof. So I wonder if the weather exposure is what makes the difference in card reader reliability.

101 - 120 of 175 Posts