Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
399 Posts
EA is wonderful, I have never had a charging site failure since the advent of the EA app. I never have to call tech support now. I have been relegated to a 3 hour L2 charge by a chargepoint failure, and almost got stranded by EVgo.

Keith

PS: I am sure that you have seen people on several occasions say that getting the app solves the payment problem... if you chose not to do so that is not a failure on EA's part.
Frustratingly, the app has never worked for me. And the credit card readers have been trash as well. The only two times I've been successful in charging at an EA station have been where I've called-in and they've re-started, then remote-started the machine. Oftentimes it's after the machine was stuck initializing for minutes before failing after trying to use the app.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Why not just fill up with gas? That is what we have done for decades after all :)

The reason is that every time you use a credit card, weather it is to purchase a pack of gum, or to buy a car the business accepting the use of the credit card pays a fee to the credit card company. When you purchase a pack of gum, there is actually a negative profit on the purchase for the store you purchased from. So, if EA can get one fee for every $50 you spend by using the app instead of a fee every time you plug in they can due away with the "plug in fee" and charge you less $$$ per min and be more competitive vs other charging networks.

Keith
I was just in Sydney, and they let you use an RFID credit card on all their transit, even our US card. Many of the individual charges were under $1, but Sydney Transport apparently accumulated them because the charges were fewer and larger. Every charge was always accepted in less than 2 seconds whether on a bus, boat or train. So it's possible to conveniently and reliably and inexpensively charge a card.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yeah, tried that and it hasn’t worked for me. Inevitably it’s one of the first questions they ask when I call in. I have the app and an account but haven't had success in getting either to work. It's incredibly frustrating as there are limited options when taking longer trips in my Bolt, so feeling as though EA is worthless due to past experiences is maddening.
Are you taping your phone against the reader to start?

Keith

·
Registered
782 Posts
Frustratingly, the app has never worked for me. And the credit card readers have been trash as well. The only two times I've been successful in charging at an EA station have been where I've called-in and they've re-started, then remote-started the machine. Oftentimes it's after the machine was stuck initializing for minutes before failing after trying to use the app.
That mirrors my experience here on the east coast. And....they "open a ticket" but nothing ever gets fixed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
When you use the app, do you initialize the session with app first and then plug in? Or do you plug in first and then initialize with the app? I've only used EA chargers once and I had to do so many different dances and incantations that I'm not sure what eventually made it work. I'm planning a trip to Pittsburgh in April and will need to charge at the EA site at Bedford (hoping the reliability improves). It would be nice if I could get things to go a little more smoothly this time.
Bedford is not well ranked on plugshare but has always worked for me. I get the app ready for charger #3, plugin pull up and push gently and then activate and it fires right up. Keep in mind the the Altoona charger is a back up. I come from Maryland and sometimes take 68 and use the level two at the Cornocopia café. super nice folks, great food and never crowded. I can also make it from Germantown MD (home) to Pitt on a single charge with the right temperature and attitude. I have found that being plugged in first and be holding the handle up as the station initializes is the key for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I've tried it all. Tap the phone, swipe my card, swipe the app...nothing. Then I call them and they move me to another charger where they "have more luck" and remote start it.
That sucks, someone did an analysis of what chargers had the worst record, are you in an area where the chargers are made by that manufacturer? Most of the chargers in my area are either turned off due to maintenance issues, or work fine... I never drive up and plug in to a charger that is powered up and have it not work any more... this used to happen when I first started charging with EA, but I don't know if it was a charger problem, or user error... I didn't know about the "hold up the handle while it initializes" thing back then. The credit card readers they used are a bad joke :(

Keith

·
Registered
782 Posts
That sucks, someone did an analysis of what chargers had the worst record, are you in an area where the chargers are made by that manufacturer? Most of the chargers in my area are either turned off due to maintenance issues, or work fine... I never drive up and plug in to a charger that is powered up and have it not work any more... this used to happen when I first started charging with EA, but I don't know if it was a charger problem, or user error... I didn't know about the "hold up the handle while it initializes" thing back then. The credit card readers they used are a bad joke :(

Keith
I'm in the south east and all of the EA chargers I've (tried) to use were Efacec. I don't know about the analysis you mention but seems like the stations on the west coast perform better, judging by Plugshare comments. I don't think they're Efacec.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
399 Posts
Are you taping your phone against the reader to start?

Keith
Yup. All over the machine with the app. The machine always goes into its initializing phase and cycles there for a minute or two, then spits out an error message. Then the call to EA begins, they get confused, and restart the machine. When that doesn’t work, they tell me to move to an open machine when I get frustrated and hang up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bedford is not well ranked on plugshare but has always worked for me. I get the app ready for charger #3, plugin pull up and push gently and then activate and it fires right up. Keep in mind the the Altoona charger is a back up. I come from Maryland and sometimes take 68 and use the level two at the Cornocopia café. super nice folks, great food and never crowded. I can also make it from Germantown MD (home) to Pitt on a single charge with the right temperature and attitude. I have found that being plugged in first and be holding the handle up as the station initializes is the key for me. Good luck.
Thanks. I'm coming from Sykesville, MD. It's about a 230 mile trip, which puts it at the edge the Bolt's range depending on the weather. Since I'll be traveling with my teenage son, I'd rather err on the side of caution. And it would be good to have a little charge left when I get there in case there is an issue with the EVSE at the hotel.

I hadn't thought about a stop at the Cornocopia Cafe. A nice dinner break would get me enough charge to make me feel more comfortable. And it looks like the food there is much better than a sub at Sheetz. :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yup. All over the machine with the app. The machine always goes into its initializing phase and cycles there for a minute or two, then spits out an error message. Then the call to EA begins, they get confused, and restart the machine. When that doesn’t work, they tell me to move to an open machine when I get frustrated and hang up.
Yeah, the "tap to pay" doesn't work. You have to use the app itself to start the charge. Your phone (no where near the machine) can be used to start a charging session by selecting the charger you are plugging into and sliding a little slider on your phone screen from left to right.

Some of the machines it is the charging equipment itself that doesn't work correctly, and no matter how you pay they have issues... most of the machines are more reliable than that, and if you can get the payment to go through AND you hold up the charging handle you have a successful result.

Good luck,

Keith

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
399 Posts
Yeah, the "tap to pay" doesn't work. You have to use the app itself to start the charge. Your phone (no where near the machine) can be used to start a charging session by selecting the charger you are plugging into and sliding a little slider on your phone screen from left to right.

Some of the machines it is the charging equipment itself that doesn't work correctly, and no matter how you pay they have issues... most of the machines are more reliable than that, and if you can get the payment to go through AND you hold up the charging handle you have a successful result.

Good luck,

Keith
Yeah, tried that, too. That process works really well for me on EVGo, but never for EA. Again, really frustrating with the few options for fast charging to have these kinds of issues with any of these, let alone EA, which has the most in the Bay Area (at least around me). :/

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yeah, tried that, too. That process works really well for me on EVGo, but never for EA. Again, really frustrating with the few options for fast charging to have these kinds of issues with any of these, let alone EA, which has the most in the Bay Area (at least around me). :/
I had real trouble on the east coast with EA... almost got stranded due to crappy equipment in Emporia, Virginia on a trip to Shiloh North Carolina.

Keith

·
Registered
381 Posts
For some of you who had trouble with the app, make sure Near Field Communication (NFC) is enabled on your phone.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
For some of you who had trouble with the app, make sure Near Field Communication (NFC) is enabled on your phone.
You only need that if you want to "tap" your phone on the charger's card reader. You can activate the charger without it as long as you have an Internet connection.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Last weekend I took a trip powered mostly by EA chargers. Every one of them worked flawlessly on the first try (I activated using the app).

I charged 149kWh out of 238.6kWh used to go 722.2 miles at EA. It cost me $39.10, or $0.26/kWh. If I pro-rate that to the entire 238.6kWh and divide by 722.2 miles, it only cost me $0.087/mile to charge on EA. That's a little less than what I pay to fuel my wife's CMax Energi for that kind of trip.

I would have stopped at EVGo, but the one I wanted to use has been broken for weeks. Who knows when EVGo will get around to fixing it. I tried stopping at two Greenlots chargers. The first was broken. I called customer assistance, and they were unable to help. The second was in use by another Bolt, and there is only one charger at the location. Every EA station has at least 4 chargers.

Overall, I am very pleased with Electrify America. Without them, I would have had to take the PHEV on this trip. They made it possible in a Bolt.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Last weekend I took a trip powered mostly by EA chargers. Every one of them worked flawlessly on the first try (I activated using the app).

I charged 149kWh out of 238.6kWh used to go 722.2 miles at EA. It cost me $39.10, or $0.26/kWh. If I pro-rate that to the entire 238.6kWh and divide by 722.2 miles, it only cost me $0.087/mile to charge on EA. That's a little less than what I pay to fuel my wife's CMax Energi for that kind of trip.

I would have stopped at EVGo, but the one I wanted to use has been broken for weeks. Who knows when EVGo will get around to fixing it. I tried stopping at two Greenlots chargers. The first was broken. I called customer assistance, and they were unable to help. The second was in use by another Bolt, and there is only one charger at the location. Every EA station has at least 4 chargers.

Overall, I am very pleased with Electrify America. Without them, I would have had to take the PHEV on this trip. They made it possible in a Bolt.
My experiences match yours, and it makes the problem with the supplier used on the east coast very frustrating. These real problems with 1 out of the 4 suppliers (and the credit card readers on ALL EA chargers) are giving the whole network a bad name... sort of like Leaf battery degradation giving EV's a bad name.

Keith

·
Registered
412 Posts
I charged last Friday at the EA station in Paso Robles using the app. No problems. Hardly had time to get a cup of coffee before I'd reached my target charge. EA hasn't always been flawless but the last few stops they've worked the first time I tried.

Paul

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks. I'm coming from Sykesville, MD. It's about a 230 mile trip, which puts it at the edge the Bolt's range depending on the weather. Since I'll be traveling with my teenage son, I'd rather err on the side of caution. And it would be good to have a little charge left when I get there in case there is an issue with the EVSE at the hotel.

I hadn't thought about a stop at the Cornocopia Cafe. A nice dinner break would get me enough charge to make me feel more comfortable. And it looks like the food there is much better than a sub at Sheetz. :)
You might want to try the Western Maryland Rail Trail parking lot in Hancock, Maryland, if you're traveling on 70 west. Several have reported success there on Plugshare. I live in Berkeley Springs next door to Hancock and can make it from my house to Pittsburgh, via Breezewood and the the PA Turnpike, easily without charging along the way. So if Hancock works for you, you're good until Pitt without having to take a chance on EA Bedford.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts