Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've had nothing but bad experiences with EA and as posted by the OP... their locations (Walmart's around here) are poor for someone wanting to make a stop. When I'm out and about in Michigan I stick to ChargePoint now. Their locations are much smarter (movie theaters, grocery stores, and restaurant "zones" where there are plenty of options for food / bathroom).
I think that Walmart is an OK compromise for EA. They really needed a large collection of places spread out thoughout the states to put in stations. While Walmarts may not be an ideal location, they are absolutely everywhere. So with one or two agreements (Walmart, Target) it's possible to deploy hundreds of stations without having to negotiate individual contracts with each.

Chargepoint stations are generally self selecting as the property owner owns the station, not ChargePoint. ChargePoint charges the property owner for network and billing services. The downside is that downed stations are more complicated to get back up.

EA needs to work on reliability. It doesn't matter as much that a EA station is in a Walmart parking lot as it does that it works reliably when it comes time to use it.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
772 Posts
The only Problem I would now have with Walmarts is they are now no longer open 24x7 . Bad if You're on a trip late at night and have to use a bathroom. Also I have personally experienced harassment by an ignorant security guard late at night while PAYING to charge late at night at a chargepoint station!! Had to explain numerous times I am paying and can't move on until my battery is near full to make it to the next stop. Had to explain numerous times it doesn't work like a gas pump and takes much longer than 5 minutes. It was very off-putting and crazy!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
165 Posts
I've had nothing but bad experiences with EA and as posted by the OP... their locations (Walmart's around here) are poor for someone wanting to make a stop.
Same, though my issues are more with the stations themselves as opposed to what stores they’re paired with. They almost never work for me (20%-ish success rate) and their Customer Service seem to give me the same canned response where they tell me to wiggle the handle, unplug then plug back in, lift the handle, move to another station and other solutions that don’t work. Extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have absolutely no issue with having chargers at Walmarts. It's very much a "city" mentality that considers Walmarts to be lowbrow locations, but they are an essential location for many who live in rural areas. Their on-site services in combination with their proximity to freeways makes them passable travel stops, and they are extremely effective as a "Cycle One" build out.

As others have stated, what I'd like to see from Electrify America in their future cycles are more dedicated travel chargers (likely at travel stops like Love's, Pilot, etc.) with full pull through parking and 24/7 bathrooms and services. Really, I wouldn't mind seeing them support mom and pop gas stations/travel stops over the "big brand" travel stops.

In terms of reliability, I definitely think Electrify America needs to start narrowing their hardware providers and construction companies. As unreliable as the ABB chargers are relative to BTC Power and Signet chargers, a number of the issues also seem to be related to installation issues. Installers in California tend to have far more experience with DC fast chargers than installers in other states, so I don't think it's a coincidence that the ABB chargers in California are far more reliable than those same units installed in other regions.

That being said, I got my Bolt EV on the tail end of serious reliability issues for EVgo, who were using a lot of ABB's lower power Terra 53 units. At some point, those Terra 53 units went from being extremely unreliable to extremely reliable, so it was likely the result of work from ABB clean up any bugs and issues. That's my hope at this point for the Terra HP units that Electrify America is using. If they can make that same turnaround, we'll see hundreds of Electrify America's ABB sites with all of the chargers up and functioning near 100% of the time.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think that Walmart is an OK compromise for EA. They really needed a large collection of places spread out thoughout the states to put in stations. While Walmarts may not be an ideal location, they are absolutely everywhere. So with one or two agreements (Walmart, Target) it's possible to deploy hundreds of stations without having to negotiate individual contracts with each.

Chargepoint stations are generally self selecting as the property owner owns the station, not ChargePoint. ChargePoint charges the property owner for network and billing services. The downside is that downed stations are more complicated to get back up.

EA needs to work on reliability. It doesn't matter as much that a EA station is in a Walmart parking lot as it does that it works reliably when it comes time to use it.

ga2500ev
Between Walmart and Target, the shoppers at Target is probably more likely to own EVs at this time...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
As others have stated, what I'd like to see from Electrify America in their future cycles are more dedicated travel chargers (likely at travel stops like Love's, Pilot, etc.) with full pull through parking and 24/7 bathrooms and services. Really, I wouldn't mind seeing them support mom and pop gas stations/travel stops over the "big brand" travel stops.
I am a fan of DCDC at travel stops. The business is already catered to the needs of people driving cross country.

Reactions: NewsCoulomb

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wonder how many potential VW customers (especially for their new EV line) will make the connection between the lousy job EA did and VW products? VW could have used Electrify America as a great entry into the electric car field. As it stands now, I wouldn't touch a VW product with a ten foot pole...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I wonder how many potential VW customers (especially for their new EV line) will make the connection between the lousy job EA did and VW products? VW could have used Electrify America as a great entry into the electric car field. As it stands now, I wouldn't touch a VW product with a ten foot pole...
I doubt many will make that connection, and I also doubt that current complaints about Electrify America's reliability will have any impact at all on VW's EV sales. By the time VW releases their first EV in the United States, Electrify America will likely have most of the bugs worked out of their systems, chargers, and even site activations.

The Mustang Mach-E is going to hit the market before any VW products, and with over 300 miles of driving range and 150 kW charging speeds, Mach-E owners are likely to use the Electrify America network far more than it has been used up to this point. That increased usage alone is likely to get these EA sites dialed in before the first VW ID.4 is even sold in the United States.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Between Walmart and Target, the shoppers at Target is probably more likely to own EVs at this time...
Problem is, few Target's are open 24/7 (bathroom). It's more about the services being available 24/7 than the store itself.
Once this epidemic is over, most Walmart's will be back to 24/7. Generally speaking, that is why they work; not perfect by any means though.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts