Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Your price is good, and your parents' is even better. All much better than my 5kw system installed 5 years ago. Even the annual yields are rather low, probably dictated by your location, the break-even periods are 5 years or less. I thinks the deals are good.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^ When I designed the system, we built in enough extra capacity to cover my Bolt, and one of my daughters will be getting a Tesla soon enough... so we built in extra capacity for that too. My system will pay back in 7yrs, our electricity here is 22 cents/kWh.. so it was worth going solar. My monthly electric bill is $12 now and that's the cost to stay connected to the grid.

I ended up producing 94.2kWh today, that's $20.72 worth of electricity.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
^ When I designed the system, we built in enough extra capacity to cover my Bolt, and one of my daughters will be getting a Tesla soon enough... so we built in extra capacity for that too. My system will pay back in 7yrs, our electricity here is 22 cents/kWh.. so it was worth going solar. My monthly electric bill is $12 now and that's the cost to stay connected to the grid.

I ended up producing 94.2kWh today, that's $20.72 worth of electricity.
My total for the day is in, 38.17 kWh, or $4.18. I used about 10 kWh. I expect the utility bill to be about $12 also.

The 6.4 kWh system has an out of pocket of $13,400 and a total after federal tax credit of $9,900. It will take 11.5 years to pay back.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
My total for the day is in, 38.17 kWh, or $4.18. I used about 10 kWh. I expect the utility bill to be about $12 also.

The 6.4 kWh system has an out of pocket of $13,400 and a total after federal tax credit of $9,900. It will take 11.5 years to pay back.
Wow, you have some real competition there. Even Tesla Solar wants $10K for 3.7KW system and $18K for 7.4KW system. Way cheaper for me to keep paying the utility here...

A 7.4KW system will probably enable me to use zero power during Summer peak periods. My A/C shows 5KW draw on the utility charts.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
In areas where electricity is cheap (Louisiana- 8.9 cents/kWh) it's hard to justify solar because the cost of equipment is the same regardless of where it gets installed and the pay-back time gets extended out to over 10+ yrs.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Wow, you have some real competition there. Even Tesla Solar wants $10K for 3.7KW system and $18K for 7.4KW system. Way cheaper for me to keep paying the utility here...

A 7.4KW system will probably enable me to use zero power during Summer peak periods. My A/C shows 5KW draw on the utility charts.
The total 6.4kW system cost was $16,600 but ODOE and utility rebates brought that down to $13,400. I was also having 2 jobs bid; mine and my parents. My parents have a silly low out of pocket since they are low income and qualify for $10k in subsidy plus federal tax credit. Their payback will be 5 years.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts